Old 10-22-2015, 05:25 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8288WS View Post
As far as the Reese Revolution hitch goes, on several occasions it served to extricate us out of tight situations. We don't have a 'slider' hitch but I would still recommend you get one (but not critical) The revolution will work with any hitch providing it has the correct 'wedge' to match your 5th wheel hitch. In my case they put the wrong one in and it caused some unnecessary wear before I realised what was wrong. The Revolution is a little trickier to 'lock on' than a standard pin. You have to be directly in line with your plate as you back on. Also, after a short period of use you may get some squeaking from where the Revolution pivots. Seems like that's the nature of the beast. I use a dry silicone lube that seems to help. Overall I wouldn't part with mine. Hope this helps.
You should never use the revolution (if unlocked) with any auto-slider hitch, since the auto sliders rely on the rotation of the pin to slide AND you'd end up with two pivot points making it very unstable.
You can use with a manual slider, but no need with anything except a 5.5ft bed, and even then only if making extra sharp turns

Old 10-22-2015, 05:29 PM   #22

Forgot to mention that I use the Revolution unlocked with a Reese Titan 16K hitch, and it's a great setup.
Another benefit to using a regular hitch, rather than a slider, is that most slider hitches are not height adjustable, whereas I just adjusted the height of my hitch to improve the ride

Old 10-22-2015, 08:46 PM   #23

We took delivery of an 2015 8286ws in April and love it other than we thought we were ordering one with 3 bunks and a large outdoor kitchen instead of the 4 bunk small kitchen unit that is made now. You will get used to the 5th wheel hitch pretty quick. As a newbie to 5th wheels I triple check everything before pulling away just to be safe. Love the Sidewinder hitch with our 6.5 foot bed, no issues at all. Getting ready for a longer trip in 2 months and will replace the tires before we leave to be safe. Good luck with your Rockwood!
mbheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:26 PM   #24

Replaced all 5 tires on our unit with Maxxis 8008 10 ply, steel valve stems, tpms and balanced. Mgr at discount tire said the wheels will handle the 80 psi, I run them at 70 psi. Got a little over 2k miles on the Maxxis, no regrets. Hated to spend close to $700.00 on tires on a new 5th wheel but the piece of mind is worth it.
PhoneDude 8289 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:25 AM   #25

If you decide on a Rockwood 5 be sure to insist on the newest wedge design for the hitch. The wedge makes the Reese revolution hitch swivel under the trailer not on the hitch saddle. Originally we had a "universal wedge" which made hook ups difficult unless we were perfectly aligned. With the new wedge it's much more forgiving and hitching up is easier
2015 Rockwood 8285IKWS Diamond
Jokes about German sausage are the wurst
French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:05 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by French View Post
If you decide on a Rockwood 5 be sure to insist on the newest wedge design for the hitch. The wedge makes the Reese revolution hitch swivel under the trailer not on the hitch saddle. Originally we had a "universal wedge" which made hook ups difficult unless we were perfectly aligned. With the new wedge it's much more forgiving and hitching up is easier
I have the standard double-ended wedge that was supplied with the Revolution (2015 model 5er, purchased a couple of months ago). Seems ok with the Reese Titan hitch, but if there's a better alternative then I'm all for it!
IIRC there are some after-market wedges available for specific hitches. Is the one you got specific to your hitch ?

Tags
rockwood