Old 10-20-2015, 02:07 PM   #1

Thumbs down New Rockwood Signature 8286WS

I just purchased a 2016 Rockwood Signature 8286WS fifth wheel trailer. I've been camping since I was a kid and always owned popup's or TT's. I know the hitching mechanism is different, but is there anything in regards to towing or setting up that is totally different than a TT? Anything special I need to look out for? It seems like trailering would be about the same as I have been used to, but I just don't know. Any tips would be appreciated.

Old 10-20-2015, 03:58 PM   #2
Head Rambler

Thumbs up New Rockwood Signature 8286WS

Not sure why you gave the thread a thumbs down, but I'm giving it a thumbs up.

Provided that you have a proper tow vehicle with a good brake controller, I think you'll find towing it about the same or even a little better than a well setup bumper pull.

If you have a short bed truck you'll need to be aware of the turning radius and you'll most likely benefit from having a slider hitch.

Old 10-20-2015, 04:11 PM   #3
Pickin' & Campin'

I'll give your post a thumbs up too!

Hitching (and making sure you are hitched) onto a fifth wheel a little different than a TT but it isn't difficult.
Just be sure your latching mechanism is securely latched before you pull away. (do a pull test before you raise the front jacks)

I've seen many threads and photos where someone 'thought' they were hitched but the jaws weren't locked and it done considerable bed/trailer damage as it came sliding off the hitch plate.

There are mechanisms available to 'catch' an unhitched 5er, but good hitching techniques will keep you from having to buy one.

Backing and turning a 5th wheel is a little different than a TT cause the pivot point is in the bed instead of the bumper but you will catch on easily.

You will love the way a 5th wheel tows!
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
If you have a short bed truck you'll need to be aware of the turning radius and you'll most likely benefit from having a slider hitch.
That Rockwood should have a Reese Revolution hitch. When activated there should not be any need for a slider hitch.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:20 PM   #5
Head Rambler

Sorry I missed that. With the revolution you're right.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:21 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtelkman View Post
That Rockwood should have a Reese Revolution hitch. When activated there should not be any need for a slider hitch.
X2

TURBS
2008 duramax
2015 columbus 320RS
2015 camping "31 nights"
Old 10-21-2015, 12:36 PM   #7

I have an 2014 8282ws and I assume you will have a Revolution hitch (turn under the fiver rather than bed of truck). Can't tell you about diff with TT but it tows great. Agree with 5picker about testing the hitch before you lift your jacks. Another point is check your tires. My originals were C class 6 ply and cracked within a year. Changed them for E Class and 10 ply. Feel much safer. You will love your Signature.
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 12:46 PM   #8

I think the others have covered most of the critical points. However, one other issue is to ensure the 5th wheel hitch plate is at the correct height. You want your trailer to tow level. I've seen many rigs on the highway with the front high. This results in an uneven weight distribution on the axels and tires. This affects tire wear, handling and safety.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:44 PM   #9

Two other things...Be sure your tailgate on your truck is down when hitching and unhitching. It will ruin your day otherwise.
Also ensure that your electrical connections are unhooked when pulling away unhitched.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:05 PM   #10

One accessory you might want to consider, if you haven't already, is a flow-through tailgate to replace the truck's solid tailgate. Although I've heard arguments both ways, in my opinion the flow-through improves mileage by allowing air to move through the tailgate rather than trapping it inside the box.

Tags
rockwood