Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2010, 09:59 PM   #1

New Rockwood Windjammer Owner.

Hi All,
It's funny to be on the posting end of a board instead of the hosting end, but here I am. I am on my 6th Travel Trailer over now 13 years of camping. We currently have a Rockwood Windjammer 3065SW, and after one outing, we're overall very happy with it.

I do have one big question, and after searching for it, I haven't seen a full answer...What makes it whistle? I figure it doesn't know the words, so it kind of whistles along with the song...but...it doesn't change pitch, no matter what the speed, and doesn't really vary in intensity either. It's noticable from the TV...but has anyone figured it out?

At this point we're in process of working out some bugs that we have with it, fridge wouldn't light, sofa side window cover pulled loose, the vent problem that we're all having, everything I consider reasonably normal for RV's - except that whistle. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Ct..
2011 Rockwood 3065WS
2010 Toyota Tundra Limited 4x4 5.7 with Air-Lift air bags and Firestone Compressor system.
chris t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:05 PM   #2
camping

WELCOME to the forum. We have the same model in the V-Lite, is that just an awesome floor plan. Have not heard a whistle on mine, I will listen next time we go out. what is the vent problem you are having? enjoy the new trailer!!!!

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:05 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

What is whistling? The radio, the tires, the exhaust, the toilet, what? "Whistles along with the song because it doesn't know the words", could be the cat, dog, grandchild, wife, propane regulator, oops not that, doesn't change with speeds. A;so doesn't hace volume control,
now what could it be? Also what year model is your Rockwood, and are you the first owner?
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:11 PM   #4

You guys are quick! The vent problem being the A/C vents in the ceiling. The whistling starts at about 25 MPH, and continues irregardless of the speed of the vehicle. Again, no chang in pitch or volume irregardless of speed. The trailer is a 2011, and we are the first owners.

I dont' have my first service appt for a week, so I'm identifying and fixing what I can before hand.

Ct..
2011 Rockwood 3065WS
2010 Toyota Tundra Limited 4x4 5.7 with Air-Lift air bags and Firestone Compressor system.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:12 PM   #5
camping

what are the a/c vents doing- not doing?

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
Old 08-17-2010, 10:15 PM   #6

They close upon use. With the AC on, or vent blowing, they will close and have to be repeatedly opened.
Ct..
2011 Rockwood 3065WS
Old 08-17-2010, 10:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris t View Post
They close upon use. With the AC on, or vent blowing, they will close and have to be repeatedly opened.
Ct..

Chris,
This seems to be a common problem with the AC ceiling vents.
One thing to do is open the large vents at the ceiling AC unit. You should have 3 slides that will open and let cool air in. This is what I had to do until the issue is address with the dealer and Forest River.

Here is a picture how I keep my vents open until they are replaced.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TrailerFirst trip ALL 077.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	3182  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:23 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Another post about this and they removed each individual vent, put a small "O" ring on one of the mounting tabs, and reinstalled. Vents are now tight and won't move on their on. Seems like a simple/cheap fix. Also seem like there was a recall to replace those, or they would be replaced if the owner complained.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:29 PM   #9
camping

listened on the way up and no whistling, did check at speeds from 0 to 55. after that all
I heard was Jimmy Buffett, it was just me and the dogs, my wife came up after work. We are at Cade Lake in Sturgis, Mi. then off to the Indiana Dunes on Saturday to meet the gang we camp with.

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
Old 08-21-2010, 04:18 AM   #10

Yes ours whistles also,you are not nuts! Same symptoms as you have. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:42 PM   #11

My windjammer makes a whistling sound at speed also. I think that it comes from air flowing over the two front rain gutter extensions when towing.

2010 Rockwood Windjammer 2609W
Reese dual cam sway control
2002 Chevy Express 1500 LT
Family of 4 and WeBJammin'
WeBJammin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:59 PM   #12

We purchased a new windjammer 3065 in August also. It also had a very annoying whistle. Took it back to the dealer who towed it around and determined that the whistle was coming from the Front, Doorside raingutter where it meets the very front of the awning. They caulked the entire gutter and the whistle went away.
markvalve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:12 PM   #13
Wanna Be Camper

the whistling is coming from the roof drains the way they are situated. My V-Lite does it as well. Take your AC ducts that are not staying open and take them to the dealer to be replaced. I had one in the bedroom that would not stay open, the replacements are much tighter. Seems FR had a bad batch if memory serves me from another post on the subject. BTW if you happen to get high winds in your yard where it is parked you can hear it real good.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:21 PM   #14

We and the dealer seperately had completely taped up the roof drains. In fact the dealer called Forest River, who told them to cut the downspouts at a 45 degree angle. We knew that wasn't the problem as the downspouts were completely taped off. The problem was the gutter itself. Wind was apparently buffeting off the front awning support and going between the gutter and the trailer. Like I say, the dealer caulked the bottom of the gutter where it meets the trailer and the wind whistle went away.
markvalve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:33 PM   #15

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
I must be deaf.............We have a Windjammer 3065. Never heard a whistling,except from our 2-pug's in the back. Oh.there's my answer ,cant here the whistling because the dogs are usually snoring so loud !! (lol)
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:26 PM   #16

I 've heard that whistle on my V lite, too. I don't notice it every time, however. I suspected the rain gutters, myself. I don't have any trouble with the AC vents. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:05 PM   #17

Send a message via Yahoo to luthernil
Windjammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris t View Post
Hi All,
It's funny to be on the posting end of a board instead of the hosting end, but here I am. I am on my 6th Travel Trailer over now 13 years of camping. We currently have a Rockwood Windjammer 3065SW, and after one outing, we're overall very happy with it.

I do have one big question, and after searching for it, I haven't seen a full answer...What makes it whistle? I figure it doesn't know the words, so it kind of whistles along with the song...but...it doesn't change pitch, no matter what the speed, and doesn't really vary in intensity either. It's noticable from the TV...but has anyone figured it out?

At this point we're in process of working out some bugs that we have with it, fridge wouldn't light, sofa side window covers pulled loose, the vent problem that we're all having, everything I consider reasonably normal for RV's - except that whistle. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Ct..
Yeah, I agree, it's probably the AC vent because it's quite a common problem with your vehicle. I'll take a look for more info.
luthernil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood