Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2015, 05:08 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Airdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoose View Post
We have a 3025W that had the China bombs on it. I started to see splits in the side walls after just one year and 2500 miles. I always kept 50 psi in them and although we never over loaded the trailer it was always right at the max that those tires were rated for. They always looked like they were low although they weren't. I put Carlisle tires on this summer and keep them at 70 psi and it made a huge difference in the way the trailer pulls. It don't seem to sway or wallow around at all like it did before and feels much more solid. Also when its set up it don't bounce near as much as it did. I think the E rated Carlisle tires are great.
Just info: Carlisle Tire does not print load inflation charts because they don't want anyone other than vehicle manufacturers to use them. The reason is they don't want their ST tires to be inflated below sidewall pressures. That's their recommendations and they stick to them. Nice to know info if you go in for any warranty work because if you tell them you normally use 70 psi in an 80 psi tire it voids the warranty.
__________________

__________________
A Trailer Tire Poster
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=15139
Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:19 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Airdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post

OK
As a minimum you should file a complaint with NHTSA. I don't think the RV dealer is being a responsible seller as most reputable dealers have the tire warranty clock start ticking on date of sale. Sure hope you got a great deal on the "AS-is" RV.
Tires are normally only warrantied by their manufacturers. Some retailers provide additional warranty coverage but that's normally on replacements. RV Trailer owner's manuals all have a disclaimer section where they give the information about where to go for any OE tires provided (by brand) for a particular model RV for warranty claims.
__________________

__________________
A Trailer Tire Poster
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=15139
Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:20 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 7
Well, I made a move and ordered five Maxxi 225 75 15 load range "D". I'm hoping that will solve the problem.

Thanks everyone for the assist. Great thing, this internet, many years back I'd be aimlessly stumbling around asking peeps "what kind of trailer tires you like?" or just going with the flow. This purchase may well save a life and certainly will save a hassle.

Thank you again.
__________________
Shark1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:10 PM   #14
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
Tires are normally only warrantied by their manufacturers. Some retailers provide additional warranty coverage but that's normally on replacements. RV Trailer owner's manuals all have a disclaimer section where they give the information about where to go for any OE tires provided (by brand) for a particular model RV for warranty claims.

I agree that normally it is the tire company that does the adjustment and warranty stuff. BUT since the RV companies for the most part select tire brands that have no stores and in some cases appear to not be sold at retail I would hold the RV company responsible for their decision.

Complaint to NHTSA is still called for. Tire DOT serial allows NHTSA to trace tire back to the production plant. If there is no real warranty on tires, and if there is no tire dealer to go to then there is in effect no tire warranty then shame of the RV dealer for selling a product for use on the highway that has 0 month and 0 mile warranty. That would be part of my complaint to NHTSA.
It is the responsibility of the tire company to provide tire failure information to NHTSA but if there is no tire company to do an adjustment then whoever is selling those tires is clearly violating the spirit if not the letter of the law that requires tire companies to report failure info to NHTSA.
__________________
.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:06 PM   #15
Ambassador
 
Ken K.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: EBF NC
Posts: 277
Lol you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Are you confusing Load Range i.e. "C, D E etc which replaced the old , out of date, misleading "Ply" or number of layers of reinforcement cord, with the load capacity that is given in pounds?

It is the air pressure that supports the load.

It is the body and belt strength that retains the air pressure.

All the "ply" in the world will not support the load if the inflation pressure is zero
I Know this but the air only cost 75 cents. The plies that hold the air in are expensive. You should know that the higher the load rating, the higher the pressure required to hold said weight. Because of the increased pressure more plies are required.... I thought you said you were a tire guy.... SMH.

Load range C is usually a 6 ply tire, D is 8, E is 10 etc... The higher the load rating the higher the price per tire.
__________________
2016 Ford F250 Crew Cab 6.2 L w/Ride Rite Air Leveling System.
2017 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8335BSS

Ken K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:11 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Airdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
I agree that normally it is the tire company that does the adjustment and warranty stuff. BUT since the RV companies for the most part select tire brands that have no stores and in some cases appear to not be sold at retail I would hold the RV company responsible for their decision.

Complaint to NHTSA is still called for. Tire DOT serial allows NHTSA to trace tire back to the production plant. If there is no real warranty on tires, and if there is no tire dealer to go to then there is in effect no tire warranty then shame of the RV dealer for selling a product for use on the highway that has 0 month and 0 mile warranty. That would be part of my complaint to NHTSA.
It is the responsibility of the tire company to provide tire failure information to NHTSA but if there is no tire company to do an adjustment then whoever is selling those tires is clearly violating the spirit if not the letter of the law that requires tire companies to report failure info to NHTSA.
This is what FR has to say in their 2015 generic owner manual.

"Forest River Inc. assumes no responsibility or liability for defects in workmanship or the operation of separately warranted products. These products may be warranted by the individual manufacturers and a copy of their warranties have been included in your owner's packet. Separately warranted products will not be serviced, repaired or replaced by Forest River Inc. If service or parts are required for these products, refer to the furnished list of factory-authorized service centers. If the list is not available for the particular products, write or call the manufacturer concerned to obtain the location of the nearest service center."
__________________
A Trailer Tire Poster
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=15139
Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:17 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Klbrown53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 223
Earlier this year the Maxxis tires that I bought in D rating were only a few dollars less than the same tire in E rating. If it had just been the money I would have gone with E rated tires. I went with D because I just did not want to risk over stressing the wheels with the air pressure recommended for E rated tires. I gained several hundred pounds of load capacity per tire anyway so I just did not see the benefit of going to E although I know many on here have. Just make sure about the air pressure capability of your particular wheels if you go with E rated tires.


Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
__________________
Klbrown53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:18 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Airdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken K. View Post
I Know this but the air only cost 75 cents. The plies that hold the air in are expensive. You should know that the higher the load rating, the higher the pressure required to hold said weight. Because of the increased pressure more plies are required.... I thought you said you were a tire guy.... SMH.

Load range C is usually a 6 ply tire, D is 8, E is 10 etc... The higher the load rating the higher the price per tire.
You probably need to do some more research on ply ratings because individual plies are no longer used for actual tire loading.

Tire manufacturers must provide a listing on the individual tire's sidewall of the basic building materials. It will include how many actual plies are in your tire and what they are made from. The actual size of the plies may be confidential information. Tireman9 will know that info as well.

On Edit; Found a picture of sidewall info...http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=27063 = the two polyester plies in the so called tread are casing plies, the 2 steel are belts and the nylon is an overlay. The sidewall is self explanatory.
__________________
A Trailer Tire Poster
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=15139
Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:33 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Airdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post

It is the responsibility of the tire company to provide tire failure information to NHTSA but if there is no tire company to do an adjustment then whoever is selling those tires is clearly violating the spirit if not the letter of the law that requires tire companies to report failure info to NHTSA.
Actually it's the vehicle manufacturer that provides that information. Here is a copy of the FMVSS that applies.

Requirements for motor vehicle manufacturers.
__________________
A Trailer Tire Poster
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=15139
Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:57 PM   #20
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
This is what FR has to say in their 2015 generic owner manual.

"Forest River Inc. assumes no responsibility or liability for defects in workmanship or the operation of separately warranted products. These products may be warranted by the individual manufacturers and a copy of their warranties have been included in your owner's packet. Separately warranted products will not be serviced, repaired or replaced by Forest River Inc. If service or parts are required for these products, refer to the furnished list of factory-authorized service centers. If the list is not available for the particular products, write or call the manufacturer concerned to obtain the location of the nearest service center."

So what does the warranty from the tire company say? It would seem to me that what FR is claiming is that items that have a separate warranty, identified on the documents provided by FR, are not covered by FR.
That's fine then the converse is obvious in that if FR did not include a copy of a warranty for a component or provide the name and contact information for the subject component FR claims isn't their responsibility, then that item is not a "separately warranted product" which takes us right back the FR being the responsible party.
__________________

__________________
.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tire

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 AM.