Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2015, 09:03 PM   #21
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
Actually it's the vehicle manufacturer that provides that information. Here is a copy of the FMVSS that applies.

Requirements for motor vehicle manufacturers.
If FR doesn't investigate and respond to a tire warranty complaint then how would you expect the data to get reported to NHTSA per Frderal Regulations.

FR may want to side step this issue but IMO they are responsible and as such should be named in the complaint to NHTSA. We agree that it is the tire companies responsibility to report failures to NHTSA but it is FR's responsibility to provide a copy of the warranty to the buyer along with the contact information for the tire dealer that will investigate the tire failure.

Simply claiming "it's not my job" is not a reasonable defense
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:14 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
If FR doesn't investigate and respond to a tire warranty complaint then how would you expect the data to get reported to NHTSA per Frderal Regulations.

FR may want to side step this issue but IMO they are responsible and as such should be named in the complaint to NHTSA. We agree that it is the tire companies responsibility to report failures to NHTSA but it is FR's responsibility to provide a copy of the warranty to the buyer along with the contact information for the tire dealer that will investigate the tire failure.

Simply claiming "it's not my job" is not a reasonable defense
Any way it’s said it’s going to mean the same thing. Tire and rim assemblies are treated as equipment. Just as a rooftop air conditioner is. NHTSA insures that information is provided with owner manuals.

This is an excerpt from a 2015 RV trailer owner manual.

Tire Warranty
XXXXXX RV does not administer the warranty for tires. Please contact the tire manufacturer direct at:

Duro - 866-788-2060 - www.durotire.com/

Tireco (Freestar, Geostar, Mudstar, Mobile Max, Geotrac) - 800-937-9433 - www.tireco.com/

Goodyear - 800-321-2136 - www.goodyear.com/

TBC (TowMax, Roadrider, Trailer King, Solid Trac, Saliun) - 800-238-6469

Voma (Liberty) - 901-672-0816

Michelin (Uniroyal) - 800-847-8475 - www.michelinman.com/

Alliance (Galaxy) - 800-343-3276 - www.atgtire.com/

Tredit Tire & Wheel (H188ST, Grand Ride, Trail America, Super A, Triangle) - 800-537-2925 - Tredit Tire Home

Americana Tire & Wheel - 574-522-9450 - Americana Tire and Wheel.

Lionshead Specialty Tire - 574-533-6169

Providing that information satisfies the trailer manufacturer’s responsibility, according to FMVSS standards/regulations.

IMO when an owner has a problem with a trailer tire he should take it to a tire dealer that handles that specific type of tire. If the serial number is legible the tire dealer can check and see if it’s in fact an OE tire. If not, and there is no record of it, it’s most likely a walk-in replacement and the vehicle owner did not complete the registration forms.

§ 574.10 Requirements for motor vehicle manufacturers.

Each motor vehicle manufacturer, or his designee, shall maintain a record of the new tires on or in each vehicle shipped by him or a motor vehicle distributor or dealer, and shall maintain a record of the name and address of the first purchaser for purposes other than resale of each vehicle equipped with such tires. These records shall be maintained for a period of not less than 5 years from the date of sale of the vehicle to the first purchaser for purposes other than resale.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:11 PM   #23
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
Any way it’s said it’s going to mean the same thing. Tire and rim assemblies are treated as equipment. Just as a rooftop air conditioner is. NHTSA insures that information is provided with owner manuals.

This is an excerpt from a 2015 RV trailer owner manual.

Tire Warranty
XXXXXX RV does not administer the warranty for tires. Please contact the tire manufacturer direct at:

Duro - 866-788-2060 - www.durotire.com/

Tireco (Freestar, Geostar, Mudstar, Mobile Max, Geotrac) - 800-937-9433 - www.tireco.com/

Goodyear - 800-321-2136 - www.goodyear.com/

TBC (TowMax, Roadrider, Trailer King, Solid Trac, Saliun) - 800-238-6469

Voma (Liberty) - 901-672-0816

Michelin (Uniroyal) - 800-847-8475 - www.michelinman.com/

Alliance (Galaxy) - 800-343-3276 - www.atgtire.com/

Tredit Tire & Wheel (H188ST, Grand Ride, Trail America, Super A, Triangle) - 800-537-2925 - Tredit Tire Home

Americana Tire & Wheel - 574-522-9450 - Americana Tire and Wheel.

Lionshead Specialty Tire - 574-533-6169

Providing that information satisfies the trailer manufacturer’s responsibility, according to FMVSS standards/regulations.

IMO when an owner has a problem with a trailer tire he should take it to a tire dealer that handles that specific type of tire. If the serial number is legible the tire dealer can check and see if it’s in fact an OE tire. If not, and there is no record of it, it’s most likely a walk-in replacement and the vehicle owner did not complete the registration forms.

§ 574.10 Requirements for motor vehicle manufacturers.

Each motor vehicle manufacturer, or his designee, shall maintain a record of the new tires on or in each vehicle shipped by him or a motor vehicle distributor or dealer, and shall maintain a record of the name and address of the first purchaser for purposes other than resale of each vehicle equipped with such tires. These records shall be maintained for a period of not less than 5 years from the date of sale of the vehicle to the first purchaser for purposes other than resale.
Some nice theoretical information here.

Couple of questions.
I was not aware that " NHTSA insures that information is provided with owner manuals." I will confirm that with my contact at NHTSA. Can you provide a source for that claim? I thnk my giys at NHTSA will be interested to know who is making the claim on NHTSA activities.

RE the nice list. I think I will add that information to a post on tire company contacts on my Blog. Thanks for assembling the list. Would you like some credit for assembling the list? What is suppose to happen when a tire brand is not listed? I don't see the brand for the tires provided OE on my RV.

RE tire registration. What is an RV owner suppose to do when the RV dealer claims no knowledge about tire registration when the owner specifically asked the dealer for the registration forms?
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:34 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post

RE tire registration. What is an RV owner suppose to do when the RV dealer claims no knowledge about tire registration when the owner specifically asked the dealer for the registration forms?
Report the dealer's actions to the trailer manufacturer. Then get the registration information from the trailer manufacturer.

Tags
tire