Old 12-12-2016, 05:40 PM   #11

Witch Doctor is correct, I run the Maxxis 8008 load range E,BUT one of the Maxxis had a odd wear pattern after 4000 miles when we were in California, tire shop didn't carry Maxxis E rated in stock and said we would have to wait a week! They did have Carlisle Radial Trail ST225/75117ME1BSB tires in stock so I went with that load range E, 81 MPH,speed rating! I though I would give Carlisle at 4000 mile return test, which looked brand New after returning home! The Carlisle tires are 30.00$ per tire cheaper than the Maxxis! I took pictures of the Worn MAXXIS and my tire dealer replaced it when I returned home! I would not rule out the Carlisle Radial Trail in the future either! Youroo! !

Old 12-13-2016, 12:52 PM   #12

They don't call them "Blow Max" for nothing. They come standard new on many trailers Search the entire Forest River forum to get an idea of what people really think of them. I replaced my new ones on my Crusader with Michelin XPS steel sidewall tires.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 01:01 PM   #13
Georgia Frog Rally 2018

Till Goodyear gives me a reason to look at other brands I'll stick with them. Used them for years. A little pm goes a long ways into good tire life. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped 2017 62
Days camped 2018 25
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 01:30 PM   #14
Commercial Member

You might want to review THIS post on tires, load and inflation.

Also the thread on why tires fail.
Write a blog on RV tire application 40 years experience as tire design engineer. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling) in Elkhart May 17-19, Allegan MI June 6-9, & Gillette WY July 18-21 RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 02:42 PM   #15
ARLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Firth View Post
Tires on the travel trailer are 5 yes old,still look good, no cracks. Side walls look ok also, but they are 5yrs old. Anyone know any thing about power king tow max load range D probably get tires the first of the year.
I have tow Max E rated 10 ply on my TT. 4 years old and about 5500 miles and they still look like new.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 03:44 PM   #16

I ran the OEM Trailer King tires 7 months and 5000 miles before changing to Carlisle. 1st they were suggested by a 'tire engineer" in Akron OH and 2nd ~~~
During a visit to China in April 2015, Van Ormer saw many new lines of ST products, but says he is aware of only one manufacturer that has “truly changed” the technology of the ST tires. That manufacturer is Carlstar Group LLC, formerly CTP Transportation Products and before that, Carlisle Transportation Products. “With the RH (radial) and LH (bias) trailer tires, they beefed up the bead and sidewall packages so that few others can compete quality-wise with them,” Van Ormer says.

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/article/312514/st-tires-all-steel-radial-construction-is-meeting-the-demand-for-more-carrying-capacity
CaptnJohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 03:44 PM   #17

2 Towmasters blew in 2 years. Marathons blistered in one year. I used TPMS which saved the Marathons from a blowout.
palmetto rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 05:16 PM   #18

I did some more shopping for tires today, Pep boys, Goodyear, Tread Quarters. No luck at all. Pep Boys did not want the business unless the trailer can fit in their bay ( fat chance of that ) then they were limited on the tires they offered. Tread Quarters said they do not carry travel travel trailer tires at all, and Goodyear simply was not interested. My selections are none. I guess the best way is to order the tires on line, then jack the TT at the storage lot and get 2 tires switched at a time. The tire shops except one that I got the quote from on the power king tow max tires wanted to handle the job. This shop handles 18 wheelers and class A's. Kinda sucks. Really don't want to go through the hassle of replacing 2 at a time, but I don't have enough jack stands for all 4 tires, probably not a good idea at the storage lot. What do you all do ???? I did take a good look at my tires today and they do have cracks around the rim area, so they need replacement.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 05:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Firth View Post
I did some more shopping for tires today, Pep boys, Goodyear, Tread Quarters. No luck at all. Pep Boys did not want the business unless the trailer can fit in their bay ( fat chance of that ) then they were limited on the tires they offered. Tread Quarters said they do not carry travel travel trailer tires at all, and Goodyear simply was not interested. My selections are none. I guess the best way is to order the tires on line, then jack the TT at the storage lot and get 2 tires switched at a time. The tire shops except one that I got the quote from on the power king tow max tires wanted to handle the job. This shop handles 18 wheelers and class A's. Kinda sucks. Really don't want to go through the hassle of replacing 2 at a time, but I don't have enough jack stands for all 4 tires, probably not a good idea at the storage lot. What do you all do ???? I did take a good look at my tires today and they do have cracks around the rim area, so they need replacement.
Tread separation just out of Flagstaff, Az.
Changed it out and drove to Williams, Az.
Drove back to Flagstaff the next morning and had Discount Tires swap out all 4 right there in the parking lot.
Downtown Flagstaff is NOT real 30 foot FW friendly...
Old 12-13-2016, 06:38 PM   #20

There are 3 independents near my home. Found all 3 to be better to work with and 2 are much better on price than the chains. Had my mind made up on Carlisle but asked pricing and availability at 2 places on Maxxis and Carlisle. Carlisle were available the following day and Maxxis nearly a week later. He also put Carlisle on his parents 5er.

CaptnJohn is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires, windjammer