Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2011, 06:37 PM   #1

Question about towing an 1809s Rockwood TT

We have just bought a new Rockwood mini lite 1809s. We are concerned how it tows as we are going a 1,000 miles to pick it up and a 1,000 miles back home. I have a Dodge Ram 2010 1500 4x4 hemi with 355 gears short bed truck. My truck has a tow package on it, brakes, etc.

I would like to know how the TT tow and handles on the highway. If anyone has one, let me know how it tows for you.
Thank you, John1
John1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:56 PM   #2

start off slow, check your mirrors all the time, stay in the slow lane and you will be fine, i am towing a 30' 5th wheel and its like having a house on your rear bumper
the best thing to remember is you have to think about your move long before you make it, and trust me people will test your skills everytime you take it out
but it not a big deal and when you get to your camp site and get set up and open that first beer it makes it all worth it.....

have fun....

ps if you have alum. rims on you camper dont forget to check your lug nuts

2005 Dodge Ram
2011 Rockwood 8281SS
Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:26 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Towing is somewhat the hitch set-up, and the rest on driver skill. Percentage of which one will vary, but driver skill keeps you alive, towing or not. Take the salesman with you after they get it hitched up, and hope you can make the expressway, and a 60 mph run. If he turns white and and says bad words, tell him you got the wrong hitch set up, and make them fix it.

Seriously, do take a test drive as best you can, before you head a 1000 miles with an improper setup. Load equalizing hitch or not.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:49 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Good advice in the two posts above. I agree that its the hitch and your level of experience that will matter the most.

Its a light trailer for your truck and I suspect that it will tow just fine, but a few things will improve the experience:

• Your trailer is 7 1/2' wide so you may not need mirror extensions but you might want them.
  • Does that Ram have a brake controller built in or are you going to install one? You'll need one for the electric brakes on this trailer.
  • Do you have a weight distribution hitch or have chosen one? If the dealer plans to install it for you, I suggest that you learn as much about your hitch now to make sure that they do it right.
  • Ditto the suggestion to bring a torque wrench with you for the lug nuts on the trailer. They will loosen up in the first few hundred miles.
  • Bring a good air pressure gauge and check the tires on the trailer and truck before you set out each day.
  • Spend your first night camped near the dealer so you get at least one night to shakedown before you leave to head home. You might want to plan on visiting them again the next day for the inevitable items you find that need warranty work.
  • Towing a trailer can be more tiring than you may be used to. Be safe and don't push it too long in the hurry to get home.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:52 AM   #5

I would like to know how the TT tow and handles on the highway. If anyone has one, let me know how it tows for you.
Thank you, John1

John1 - we have a Rockwood Mini Lite 1809S & it tows like a dream. Though I do have & use a WD Hitch for longer trips but can't feel any difference in how good it tows without the WD Hitch. As you can see our TV is also a 1/2 ton.

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #6

Towing mirrors. WD hitch , Brake Controller, These would help.. Any chance that someone you know that has towing experience go on a "road trip".. And that would be nice... to spend a night near the dealer to try everything out if possible ..Also do a little backing up practice at a nearby empty parking lot.. Take er slow .wide and easy.. Good Luck !!
dretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:19 PM   #7

Thanks,
Nice to know it tows well. We just sold our 2008 class C motor home. I'm sure we'll like this 1809s. Thanks again Everett and Joan.

John1
John1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:55 PM   #8

We also own an 1809S. Towed it all over Michigan, Ohio and down to the Smokies with a 1/2 Ton short box GMC with a 350CI V8. We use a WD hitch and a single sway bar and always use it, But I suspect, as Everett says, there wouldn't be a big difference without it. We tow @ 60 - 65 MPH max and it is a joy to pull. Gas milage seems to average out to about 11 mpg. We have no desire to upgrade, it's perfect for the two of us. Relax and enjoy!
dpowli is offline   Reply With Quote