Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2016, 10:04 AM   #1

New to RV world and my first question

I've owned my Rockwood for only three weeks and must have missed
Something in the walk through at purchase. The slides work well when Plugged into shore power but won't work when connected to the tow vehicle.
Have I missed a switch? I'm sure I've seen them work on batteries and those are full charge.
Shabbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:09 AM   #2

Battery disconnect switch?

Do the lights work?
Old 01-31-2016, 10:12 AM   #3

Slide outs question

Yes lights work
Old 01-31-2016, 10:22 AM   #4

What model Rockwood do you have?

Bruce
Old 01-31-2016, 10:24 AM   #5

Do you know where your battery disconnect is? You do have one.

Bruce
Old 01-31-2016, 10:33 AM   #6

Are you sure at this point in time the slide still works when connected to shore power. It should not matter if connected to shore power or not as the slides operate off the 12v battery. Only difference when connected to shore power is the battery is being charged.

Now you say the batteries are fully charged. Do you know that for a fact? Low batteries could be your problem. Don't go by the LED battery indicators. They will not show you the battery status under load. One thing you can do is press the battery test button and then press the slide switch to see if the LEDs go to nothing. If they do, bad battery or charge.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 11:00 AM   #7

The model is 2016 - 8293 IKRBS
Old 01-31-2016, 11:01 AM   #8

Slides work when on shore power.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:18 AM   #9
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabbey View Post
I've owned my Rockwood for only three weeks and must have missed something in the walk through at purchase.
Welcome to the forum.
Winter is a great time to sit down and read your owner's manuals. Grab a large-ring binder, punch holes in the various manuals and put them in the binder. Go through the trailer, locate all the appliances, write down the make/model/serial # of each, record them in the binder. Make a spec sheet for your trailer including actual height, width and length (with/wo tow vehicle), put that in the binder.
When you've finished that project, go to your computer and armed with your appliance list, visit each manufacturer's website and book mark it in "Favorites."
Now you have a data base to get answers to most of your questions. You also have the info necessary to include in any posts should you need assistance from the helpful folks here.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 11:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Slides work when on shore power.
Did you test your battery as I suggested in my previous post? Like I said, the only difference, as far as I know, is that the batteries are being charged by the converter. Maybe that is enough to "boost" your battery power.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by awellis3 View Post
Welcome to the forum.
Winter is a great time to sit down and read your owner's manuals. Grab a large-ring binder, punch holes in the various manuals and put them in the binder. Go through the trailer, locate all the appliances, write down the make/model/serial # of each, record them in the binder. Make a spec sheet for your trailer including actual height, width and length (with/wo tow vehicle), put that in the binder.
When you've finished that project, go to your computer and armed with your appliance list, visit each manufacturer's website and book mark it in "Favorites."
Now you have a data base to get answers to most of your questions. You also have the info necessary to include in any posts should you need assistance from the helpful folks here.
Great suggestion!

I would also add if you have an iPad that most all mfgs these days have downloadable PDF files. Download them to iBooks on your iPad and create a file for your Rockwood. I do that for my Silverback, F250, Grady White and misc things around the house. That way when my RV is in storage I can still look up info about it without the physical manuals.

Old 01-31-2016, 12:13 PM   #12

Quote:
I've owned my Rockwood for only three weeks and must have missed
Something in the walk through at purchase. The slides work well when Plugged into shore power but won't work when connected to the tow vehicle.
Have I missed a switch? I'm sure I've seen them work on batteries and those are full charge.
When not connected to shore power or tow vehicle do the slides work? If so that rules out a low battery. If it does work then I would think it would be something funky with the tow vehicle connection. If it still doesn't work, then I would think the battery disconnect switch or low batteries. This is all based on my very little experience on my first camper with slides.

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 12:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gectisme View Post
When not connected to shore power or tow vehicle do the slides work? If so that rules out a low battery. If it does work then I would think it would be something funky with the tow vehicle connection. If it still doesn't work, then I would think the battery disconnect switch or low batteries. This is all based on my very little experience on my first camper with slides.
Why does that rule out a low battery? When on shore power battery is being charged by converter and there is 12 volt power being supplied to the RV components by it. Tow vehicle should have nothing to do with it. The slides should work if RV is free standing ( no shore power, no tv hooked up)

Do the lights work with no shore power? If yes, not a battery disconnect switch. Typically the slides are not connected thru the disconnect switch at least that is how it is on my Silverback.

Now I do remember on the Rockwood I owned there was a fuse between the battery and the slide that was mounted on the tongue close to the front of the RV. Check between battery and front of the unit for this fuse.

Old 01-31-2016, 12:29 PM   #14

Here is a link to this issue on another forum about fuse..

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: New Rockwood Roo 23SS ... slide won't open

Old 01-31-2016, 12:33 PM   #15

I wonder if it is as simple as the slides are preventing from working when the tow vehicle is supplying 12 v to the TT. On a class A you cannot run the electric slides when the key is turned on. Safety feature.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 12:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Why does that rule out a low battery? When on shore power battery is being charged by converter and there is 12 volt power being supplied to the RV components by it. Tow vehicle should have nothing to do with it. The slides should work if RV is free standing ( no shore power, no tv hooked up)
DALFORD,
That was my point, if it can open on battery only that rules out the battery, does it not?

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 01:44 PM   #17
Maron

Send a message via Yahoo to Maron
We have an 8329ss Rockwood and at the entry is a small handle that you push to shut off the battery. It is not on the panel but down near the floor. Look for that.
Maron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 02:24 PM   #18

Make sure battery connections are clean and tight. Also there may be a fuse or circuit breaker that feeds the slides direct from battery.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 04:24 PM   #19

Disconnect from shore power. Use voltmeter connected across + & - on battery. Try to operate slides & see what voltage goes to at the same time slide switch is being depressed. If voltage drops a lot, bad battery. If voltage does not drop, problem elsewhere.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 06:04 PM   #20

It has to do with the battery disconnect switch. It needs to be pulled out (ours is a pull push switch). Our wardrobe slide will not work if disconnect switch is in the "in" position.
Momma Tac is offline   Reply With Quote