Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #1

New Trailer - Fried Emergency Brake Box

I just purchased a 2013 Rockwood Roo 183. I had a great time at the camp sites and when I got home I tried unhooking the emergency brake pin so that I may unhitch the trailer and park it until next long weekend. Sadly I could not pull the cable out. Upon close inspection I realized that the box where the pin connects is warped and partially melted. Looks like something inside fried. At this point, I loop hooked the wire to the hitch so I can't disconnect from the trailer unless I disassemble the entire box or physically cut the tear away cable. I decided to stay hooked on and take it into the dealership. My only main concern is that they will just replace it and send me on my way. This worries me because I do not want to have this kind of problem on the way to my next trip so I like to find the problem and make sure it gets fixed at the root. Help me out fellow trailer owners. What is going on here? This is a brand new trailer that just left the dealership 1 week ago.
dronefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

How about a picture, don't understand how you hooked the cable that it can't be unhooked.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #3
Always Learning

Do you have pictures? I'm confused by your need to unhook the emergency break pin.. I always did that hooking and unhooking at the truck-side (and with a loop to my chains clips or its own spring clip- nothing electrical at this end), not the little box at the camper.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronefly View Post
I tried unhooking the emergency brake pin so that I may unhitch the trailer and park it until next long weekend. Sadly I could not pull the cable out. Upon close inspection I realized that the box where the pin connects is warped and partially melted. Looks like something inside fried. At this point, I loop hooked the wire to the hitch so I can't disconnect from the trailer unless I disassemble the entire box or physically cut the tear away cable. I decided to stay hooked on and take it into the dealership. My only main concern is that they will just replace it and send me on my way. This worries me because I do not want to have this kind of problem on the way to my next trip so I like to find the problem and make sure it gets fixed at the root. Help me out fellow trailer owners. What is going on here? This is a brand new trailer that just left the dealership 1 week ago.
Not sure if I am following you correct. It may just be your terminology. Are you saying that the pin in your emergency breakaway switch (has a single piece of small cable) is stuck? If so, then why couldn't you unhook your trailer from the Tow Vehicle...........................or are you saying that your trailer 7 pin plug (that controls your lights, signals, brakes, etc) is melted and stuck inside your TV receptacle., which would make sense why you can't disconnect.

Pics would help a lot in getting your problem solved.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:34 PM   #5

If I understand you, you pull the emergency breakaway cable from the emergency brake switch under the tongue so the trailer does not move when you unhook your trailer? Is that you did when you went camping and left it that way all weekend?
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:39 PM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
If I understand you, you pull the emergency breakaway cable from the emergency brake switch under the tongue so the trailer does not move when you unhook your trailer? Is that you did when you went camping and left it that way all weekend?
fonzie, that's how I read their post... but hopefully they come clarify.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:53 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
How about a picture, don't understand how you hooked the cable that it can't be unhooked.
If Ependydad and Fonzie are correct in that the OP pulled his emergency breakaway switch pin while at the campsite.....it would have been easy to loop the cable thru a bumper/hitch hole and run the pin end thru the loop....before reattaching it back in the breakaway switch.

This way he would definitely have to pull the pin out of the breakaway switch in order to unloop the cable again.

Something like this:

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
If Ependydad and Fonzie are correct in that the OP pulled his emergency breakaway switch pin while at the campsite.....it would have been easy to loop the cable thru a bumper/hitch hole and run the pin end thru the loop....before reattaching it back in the breakaway switch.

This way he would definitely have to pull the pin out of the breakaway switch in order to unloop the cable again.
I kinda' thought that, but...
Old 05-20-2013, 09:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
Attached are pics of what I am talking about and yes. My dealership "PDI" person told me it is best to always have that cable pulled when stationary. Prevents theft as well as keeps the trailer from rolling. Was he wrong?
Old 05-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #10

Old 05-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Attached are pics of what I am talking about and yes. My dealership "PDI" person told me it is best to always have that cable pulled when stationary. Prevents theft as well as keeps the trailer from rolling. Was he wrong?
all i can say is:

no pics.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
all i can say is:

no pics.
pics are attached now. please check.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #13

hey guys. please note i am a first time owner and i followed instructions given by my PDI guy. Please help guide this new owner on the right path. Any explanations or advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:20 PM   #14

Quote:
hey guys. please note i am a first time owner and i followed instructions given by my PDI guy. Please help guide this new owner on the right path. Any explanations or advice is greatly appreciated.
Have one of those on my camper as well as boat trailer, never pulled it out. That is an emergency breakaway switch. If your unit ever came unattached from your truck it's supposed to set the brakes. There is no reason to pull that pin for any reason I am aware of.
TTNewbees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:22 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
What the emergency breakaway switch does, is to apply an electrical current from your trailers battery to the electric brakes on your trailer.................in the event that (god-forbid) your trailer comes detached from your tow vehicle. When the trailers comes loose, the cable hooked to the pin on the breakaway switch is supposed to be pulled out, since the other end of the cable should be still hooked to your TV. By applying the trailers brakes, the switch keeps your trailer from rolling and brakes it quickly to stop it.

When you are normally hooked to your tow vehicle, your brake controller in your vehicle is what supplies all the electrical power to your trailers brakes to stop it.

Anytime you pull the pin, you are applying your trailers brakes from your batteries power. This is probably hard on the brakes if done for any extended length of time, as well as the breakaway switch itself. I have no idea how long the switch is rated for, to have a charge running thru it. I've never heard of anyone pulling the plug but for a short time to test it or such.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:23 PM   #16
PPST OGCDG

Quote:
Yes he was very wrong.
1. It will run the battery down
2. It will burn the magnets out.
3. If not hooked up to shore power when the battery runs down the brakes
will release.
4.That cable is use only when the trailer breaks away from the tow vehicle
Frank-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:27 PM   #17
Mod free 5er

Either take it to the dealer and have him replace it or go get one and replace it yourself. If you decide to replace it yourself, just cut the cable and unhook.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:37 PM   #18
Site Team

Copied this from Bargman's web site:

http://www.bargman.com/content/produ...ID=1465&part=0

Breakaway Switch
Completely sealed breakaway switches to automatically set trailer brakes in case of accidental trailer breakaway. Required by law in some states. Emergency use only, not to be used to lock brakes when parked or stored. 2010 and 2005 have reinforced nylon case, weldable metal tab, nylon pin assembly and are rust and corrosion free. 2009 has all metal parts and a brass pin assembly.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:52 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Either take it to the dealer and have him replace it or go get one and replace it yourself. If you decide to replace it yourself, just cut the cable and unhook.
There are not hard at all to replace and don't cost much either, usually in the $10-20 dollar range. Probably cheaper than gas back to the dealer.

You might want to let the dealer know that their PDI guy needs to be retrained or moved to another position in the company if he is giving out erroneous information.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:59 PM   #20
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Yes, he was wrong. Pulling the breakaway diverts FULL 12 volt DC power to the brake magnets, which grab the rotor but the camper will roll until the brake application lever is pulled far enough to apply the brake.

This system is an emergency system and is not designed to be used stationary for very long. The magnets will get hot. VERY hot. They may burn out; the wires may melt or catch fire; or as you have found; the switch itself can be destroyed.

He gave you very bad advice. It should only be pulled for inspection to make sure the system works.
Attached Images

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake control, brake wiring, breakaway