Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2019, 01:20 AM   #1

New Trailer Upgrades

Reading various sources it seems like the suspension on most new trailers is built from very cheap parts. ST Tires also seem like a common issue with many people switching to LT tires.

So my question is on a brand new travel trailer what kind of upgrades do people think are needed these days?

Thanks
Ski206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 01:35 AM   #2

Obviously it can very greatly depending on the camper but I think you hit on two most people see if they don't come equipped with decent tires and an upgraded suspension.

A good observation camera that acts like a rear view mirror behind your camper is one of the next ones I see people putting on most often. Nice to not have that huge blind spot behind you.

Replacing the standard group 24 battery many campers come with for something with more 12v storage (2 6v in parallel or 2 sets of 2 if they are planning a lot of boondocking) is likely the next most frequent.

Then there is also solar. Either a single panel to help keep the batteries charged up if they store in a storage lot and can't plug in to a full blown system often between 400-600 watts if they are going off grid as often as possible.

An inverter generator is never far behind if they are not going to be spending most of their trips someplace they can have shore power as solar needs sunshine and there are strings occasionally of 3-4 overcast days.

Sadly, the most expensive upgrade is a new tow vehicle if they listened to their salesman and bought more camper than their vehicle can/should/they are comfortable with it towing. Not doing the research, understanding the proper way to match the Tow vehicle to a trailer that will be comfortable to tow is an expensive lesson that either requires a new vehicle or selling a new trailer at a loss to get something smaller.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:52 AM   #3

But what specific suspension upgrades would people suggest?
Ski206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:31 AM   #4

Personally I have never upgraded suspension or tires on any of the campers that we have owned from the 1973 to the 2017. Some people have had problems yes but the vast majority have no issues.

I currently own 16 china made trailer tires on six trailers and to date have never even had a flat.

Personally I believe maintenance is key. Although I am not always the best with keeping up with that.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:30 AM   #5

Upgrades we liked.

This spring we added a battery monitor II. BMII. About $40.

Bluetooth device wired into the fuse panel. Sends a Bluetooth signal to your phone. Also keeps records of usage.

Really good information. Should extend battery life. You will learn about how the converter works. And your trucks charging ability.

Added door handles from Menards to the closet sliding glass in the bedroom. Keeps those nasty fingerprints off the glass. $13
Added indoor handle to the screen door. $15

Battery monitors. $300. You all, have scared me about tires.

Added lp tank level monitors. Bluetooth again. About $70. Using the heater burns it fast!!!

Changed bed lift shocks to the correct size. $40. We added a heavy topper to the bed. Lift, didn’t. Heavier shocks did it.

We, by the way, do not return stuff for warranty like this. Not worth my time.

Added a shoe cleaner to the side of the steps. $40.

Bought the DW and I quality rain jackets from REI. $100 each. Saved me at Christmas break. Had to set up in pouring rain while driving home. 1” per hour.

I was soaked from the waist down but, my core was dry. Dropped trousers and all was good. Tossed my pants in the dryer. Time for cocktails.

Got a chimney and Webber fire starters to get charcoal ready with no Boy Scout water. Helps the taste of food. No K1.

Bought a $20 bag of bungee cords. They are half gone in a year. Bungee cabinets closed after Tearing a door off with a side.

Bought touch up magic markers at Ace Hardware for nicks and scratches. $8

Bought a fancy led super commando light at Ace. Really bright. 3 AA batteries. $8

Keep a $6 Stanley four point two socket screwdriver in the tool drawer for those screws that come out.

Added a Yamaha 6” powered subwoofer. $160. That was just for me and the neighbors. Er, just me.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:00 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1905133

Herk
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:04 PM   #7

A 2nd A/C.

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:35 PM   #8

@CincyGus

I believe 2 6v batteries are connected in "series" not parallel.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
Changed bed lift shocks to the correct size. $40. We added a heavy topper to the bed. Lift, didn’t. Heavier shocks did it.

Do you recall what shocks you got? I’m in the same boat and I have no idea what to look for!
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffywhitedogs View Post
Do you recall what shocks you got? I’m in the same boat and I have no idea what to look for!
These were posted on another thread to solve the problem.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007MUY656...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Old 04-19-2019, 11:30 PM   #11
Retired Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski206 View Post
But what specific suspension upgrades would people suggest?
Suspension upgrades for the trailer:
  1. Change out the thin shackles for the 1/2" thick MorRyde models with wet bolts and bronze bushings (also fixes the el-cheapo nylon bushings most trailers ship with). Wet bolts have zerk fittings so you can grease the bolt to bushing connection (about $90 upgrade)
  2. Upgrade the equalizer to one with rubber bushings. It depends on which trailer axle setup you have as to what options you have (the width of the equalizer). If you have one of the more standard sizes, you have several options. If you have spread axles (14 5/8" equalizer), the only upgrade is the Lippert EquaFlex (depending on model price varies, mine was right at $200 for the spread axle EquaFlex)
  3. Add shocks. 2 options, the Lippert kit or the Roadmaster Comfort Ride Kit (Formerly called the Joy Rider). I would go with Roadmaster and have considered it for my trailer (but have not purchased yet - going with EquaFlex first). Roadmaster kit is $500.
  4. Tires - get ride of "china bombs" if you have them (basically any China made tire including Goodyear Marathons). If you have them go with Goodyear Endurance. The most common stock trailer size tire seems to be the ST205/75R14 (a load range C tire). In the Marathon, on a pair of 3,500lb axles, 4 Marathons are only rated to a maximum capacity of 1,760 lbs capacity each or 7,040 total. That is only 40 lb more than the axle. Factor in any under inflation and the rating goes down even more. I think that is why they have the "china bomb" reputation. They fail - mostly because they are really under rated for the job. The exact same size Endurance model is a load range D with a rating of 2,040 per tire or 8,160 lbs for a set of 4. So the Endurance has a larger margin of safety on a tandem 3,500lb axle trailer. Of course if you have a larger trailer, the tires are different. But if you have Marathons, I would upgrade.
There are several Youtube videos on each if you search for them. For the shocks, I think there are more under the Joy Rider name than their Comfort Ride one (same product, just sold by the inventor to Roadmaster).

One other thing I've seen discussed occasionally is moving up in spring weight rating. An example would be putting 4,400 lb springs on a 3,500 lb axle. They will fit, but I would not do that. Reason is they will be stiffer than the stock springs. This will transmit even more force to the trailer as the springs are no longer matched to the load (too stiff for the actual load). So IMO items 1 to 4 are about all I can think of as far as suspension upgrades to the trailer.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski206 View Post
Reading various sources it seems like the suspension on most new trailers is built from very cheap parts. ST Tires also seem like a common issue with many people switching to LT tires.

So my question is on a brand new travel trailer what kind of upgrades do people think are needed these days?

Thanks
My view. Many of the folks changing tires seem to be basing it on experiences from more than a few years ago. At one point it was acceptable for the tires to be rated to carry LESS than the trailer weight (GVWR - tongue weight). The standard as of today is that tires must be rated for 10% MORE than trailer weight (at least I think that's current). I've read recommendations from tire engineers recommending a 15% margin. So check your tires against your trailer GVWR and decide. My trailer has tires that have a margin of almost 30%.

Second what suspension is on your trailer. Folks with spring mounted axles have made changes/upgrades. As far as I know, there isn't much you can do if you have Tor-Flex axles except replace them - that's a $2000+ cost.
Personally, I was more worried about the water filter - there were a number of reports on them breaking and flooding trailers. That and WaterPur filters are expensive. I replaced mine with a common whole house filter housing that I temporarily mount on my trailer bumper while camping. I got a rear view camera - I like being able to see what is going on behind me and with an 8' wide trailer, even tow mirrors leave a big blind spot, and it makes changing lanes safer. I got a set of TPMS for the trailer tires - it has alerted me when I picked up a nail on a trip. I put in an EMS system - I have been in several campgrounds that were experiencing low voltage. Low voltage will burn out the motor on your AC and may damage other stuff in your trailer. A simple surge suppressor is pretty much useless in my estimation.

I did make a major "suspension" upgrade. I made the change partly because we intend to put a lot of mileage on the trailer, >25k miles in 1.5 years so far. I upgraded to disc brakes. Nothing wrong with drum brakes, disc brakes fade less and stop the trailer faster.
Enjoy your new trailer!
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob213 View Post
@CincyGus

I believe 2 6v batteries are connected in "series" not parallel.
Thank you for the correction! Clearly I was low on caffeine ;-)
Old 04-20-2019, 05:22 AM   #14

watching ... Thanks for all the info
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, upgrade