Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #21

Hey,
We also just purchased a 2809W! We have had it almost a month now and love it. Our bedroom door opens towards the hallway? We have taken the rig out three times now. Some tips from us....I opened the sofa one day to show someone the mattress and it caught on part of the mechanics, it tore the outer cover but we have not checked to see if it punctured the mattress yet. Not sure about this but we feel we have to compensate for the side with two slides when we level. We have leveled the TT then opened the slides and found that it was no longer level, we're getting better at it though. Trying to figure out what to do about lighting around the TV area, seems dark. Oh, on a hot day (very hot day) our 15K AC struggled to keep it cool. Learn the electronics quickly, you can do a lot with that Genesis system. We are going to replace the shower head, seems cheap. Other than that we are still learning, this is our first TT and we are quite happy with it.
mdavis479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #22
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavis479 View Post
We are going to replace the shower head, seems cheap.
A forum search will usually bring up recommendations for the Oxigenics shower head.

True, the slides out will change your level from slides in, just a little. The smaller set of X-chocks tightened down between the tires on both sides helps a little with back/forth up/down motion. The larger sets are too big for the narrow tire gap on my 2809W.

And, the Genesis 3 has been great, although you'll find complaints around the forum. I had to set down and read the instructions over and over to get used to what to set how/when. Loose connectors are the usual culprit for problems, I've been behind mine to neat up the wiring and use wire-ties to help keep sets together. Mine looked like a tangled mess, could see how connectors may work loose.

My 15K has cooled fine, but it's just me when I travel. My sons still have to work all the time. I notice my slide toppers really help keep the slide roofs cooler. Awning out reduces heat at the doors. The 2B's have dual air and I didn't know it was available on the 2809W or I may have sprung for the extra $ to order it.
Attached Images

+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:54 PM   #23

Talked to Rhonda @ FR & got it mailed off today. She was very helpful! They picked up the Jammer this morning to fix the window leak & water heater. I sure hope we get it back by the weekend as promised. We need this weekend to learn how everything works before our trip Labor Day weekend! No more questions for you at the moment, but I did tell DH that I found another windjammer owner locally! Can we take a rain check on the phone calls? As I'm sure there will be many as time goes on! Oh, and if you see a Keystone Bullet at the Frio where you're staying, tell them (my aunt @ uncle) Sheri says hey! They said they were staying across from Garner State park as well!
2Barnetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #24

We brought our Windjammer 2809W home a week ago. We have the Diamond Pkg that came with 2 a/c's, which was at the top of our list of things we couldn't do without when shopping for our new TT. It also has some other nice upgrades. Haven't had the opportunity take it on a trip yet. Thanks for the tips on leveling. I'll pass this on to DH. Can you let me know what you decide to go with to replace your shower head? I can see us doing that in the near future as well. What about the storage space in the kitchen? I'm wondering if it will take care of all our storage needs. Although I do plan on traveling light & keeping it as simple as possible. And finally, have you found a place for a wastebasket in the kitchen area? Looking forward to your response!
Old 08-21-2013, 09:08 PM   #25

RIP, what are slide toppers? Is that like awnings for your slides?
Old 08-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #26

Thanks for info on shower head and Genesis. We have one set of x chocks, may buy a second set as movement in TT is a little annoying. If you find a solution on kitchen trash can I'd like to know, we also are not sure what to do about that. Storage in kitchen is okay, we use the drawers under the dinette to store pots, pans and larger items. We do have a minor problem with the stove lighting, we have to use a lighter to start it but after that it lights with the igniter?
mdavis479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #27
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Barnetts View Post
Can you let me know what you decide to go with to replace your shower head? I can see us doing that in the near future as well. What about the storage space in the kitchen? I'm wondering if it will take care of all our storage needs. Although I do plan on traveling light & keeping it as simple as possible. And finally, have you found a place for a wastebasket in the kitchen area? Looking forward to your response!
Bathroom/Shower head - I replaced shower head with Oxygenics. I mounted tp roll inside lavatory door, redid the screwed shut latch with magnetic close.

Kitchen Storage - I use overhead over sink for paper plates, plastic containers, etc., use left dinette drawer to store pots/pans (I found guests tend to sit where right drawer is) and right drawer for less used kitchen items, both are full. I store aluminum bake pans in the oven, counter drawers for plastic knifes/forks/spoons, utensils, pit holders, etc. I store glasses over dinette, box/can food items in pantry and over sofa.

Notice I said paper/plastic, you will learn it's easier to throw away than wash when camping.

Trash bag - I found a small door-hanging clothes hamper that I hang from the pantry door and clip my trash bag in. I use small tie-up bags and replace them daily. Share better ideas.

Level/Slides - Slide toppers are the little awnings over slides. I ordered them as a factory option. Keep cool, shed debris, help keep dry. About level, level is important for your fridge to work properly among other things, but I like a slight lean toward the slide side so water sheds off that roof properly. The water shed is less of a proplem with my two toppers. Try not to pull in water/debris when you retract your slides, the rubber wiper seals can only do so much.

Pics attached, sorry some got turned sideways...
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #28

Wow! Thanks for all the cool tips & photos! Really like the idea of tp holder inside lavatory door... out of the way & out of sight! Well, they're bringing the jammer back home today. Said that they fixed the leak in the window. Not sure what they did with the electric water heater issue but they did put a bigger element in... which I'm not sure why. But that's okay, as long as it works whenever we need it to. Are you getting ready for your trip to the frio yet?
Old 08-22-2013, 05:00 PM   #29
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Barnetts View Post
Are you getting ready for your trip to the frio yet?
Getting ready little bit at a time. Got one of my propane tanks refilled this morning. It's been six months of use and hadn't auto-switched over to second tank yet.

I have to use a mirror to see the green/red indicator on the front of my switch valve. Anyway, I found it was easier to get out of the v-compartment when the tank is almost empty than putting back when it's full.

The base on the frame was heavily rusted so I sanded and repainted black (my trailer was shipped in winter, I power washed underbelly right away but I've been trying to get road salt damage off for months, discover new rust build-ups as I get into unexplored places).

Putting another coat of wax on the slide side this afternoon. Should begin packing tomorrow.