Old 01-21-2015, 10:25 PM   #1

Newbie Winterizing Question

Hello everyone! I will be picking up my new Mini-Light 2505S on Saturday. I'm completely new to RV ownership, although I have rented a trailer before. I live in the Pacific Northwest, where temperatures occasionally dip below freezing, especially at night. We plan to camp on average one weekend a month or so during the winter. Does that mean we have to winterize it after every trip?

-Jeff

Old 01-21-2015, 11:06 PM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

I would blow out the lines in prep for freezing weather. For the most part, it takes me almost as long to get my air compressor and blowout plug setup than it does to actually blow out the lines.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:50 PM   #3

So blowing the lines should be sufficient? I don't have to put in antifreeze?
Old 01-22-2015, 12:42 AM   #4
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jheinen View Post
So blowing the lines should be sufficient? I don't have to put in antifreeze?

If it doesn't freeze for days at a time, I likely wouldn't bother with antifreeze. Just make sure you blow out *everything*: toilets, shower heads (inside and out), sinks, washer/dryer hookups, black tank flushes, you name it!
Old 01-22-2015, 04:44 AM   #5
Engineer of Crazy Train

I will add, if you are expecting a long freeze, I would put some antifreeze in the P-traps. But, if you are using, I would just drain and blow. Make sure you get your low point drains and drain your hot water heater.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:29 PM   #6
TGR

I live in a much colder climate so I go all out when winterizing.

I open the low point drains (hot, cold and fresh water) and let them run dry and reclose. I then blow 40-45 psi air into the "City Water" line with an adapter and open one faucet at a time until it's done spitting water then close. The same for the toilet and low-point drains. I go back and try each one again for good luck, then shut off the air and open all faucets about half way.

Then I remove the lower drain plug from the water heater (the one with the sacrificial anode).

Next, I completely empty my gray and black holding tanks.

Then, pour antifreeze into each trap, adding enough to give the gray holding tanks adequate antifreeze to take care of the water from the traps and I dump some antifreeze down the toilet for the black tank.

Don't forget the shower trap and drain the shower hose and any outside faucets too.

With my much colder weather, I draw a small amount of RV antifreeze into the water pump from the "winterize hose" and add more antifreeze to the black and gray holding tanks to ensure no solid freezing at sub-zero temperatures.

The flexible PEX hose is very forgiving. The plastic in pumps, traps and holding tank valves is of a greater concern. However, I have frozen my water lines on a pickup slide-in camper and nothing broke. Perhaps that was good luck.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:03 PM   #7

The owner's manual from Forest River is not very helpful with winterizing.
It does not even mention low point drains.
I live in west central Oregon and I am in agreement with what TGR said above.
In addition, when using a compressor to blow out my lines I do not remove the water filter as prescribed in the owner's manual.
I find that the compressor blows the water out of the filter just fine.
We just took our 2109S out for a couple days of camping on the coast after it had already been winterized and everything worked fine.
Just remember to fill your water heater first before flipping on the electric switch and make sure the switch is off when you drain the heater.
BruceM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:58 AM   #8

As my first season of TT ownership draws to a close (8 trips and 23 nights, I might add!), I'm starting to think about winterizing. I searched and found several threads, including this one.

I live in the upstate of SC where we we only get freezing temps a few days each winter. I would guess we get a sum total of no more than 10 - 15 nights and rarely a stretch of more than three or four nights in succession. That being said, I feel like the method described above of blowing air through the city water connection, and adding AF to the P-traps would be sufficient for me.

Would the experts here agree with the that?

Also, is there any concern that the "gaskets" would dry out by using this method? I honestly don't know what "gaskets" this might refer to, but I have read that argument on the interweb.

Thanks!

2015 Rockwood 2306
2015 Tundra CrewMax
Old 09-22-2015, 08:07 AM   #9

I am NO expert but I know if you Winterize your system with Pink A/F you will sleep well on the freezing nights and not Wonder or ask about your water system! Youroo!! This was for Post# 8
Old 09-22-2015, 08:22 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Don't forget about your Tank Flushers, if you have them. You will be buying new siphon valves if you don't blow them out.

Tags
newbie, winter, winterize