Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2009, 03:01 PM   #1

Smile Newbies buying 8317RKSS (maybe!)

Hello! Our family is considering purchasing a Rockwood 8317RKSS from RV Wholesalers and shipping it to Spokane, WA. We have an 8 year old son and twins that are 5, so this floorplan with the three bunks AND outside kitchen seems sublime. This is our first travel trailer and we are a MITE nervous, however! After researching manufacturers for a couple of months now, we are sold on Forest River. A couple of questions for you experienced folks:

1. Extended warranty? Experiences with having to use it?

2. Cherry interior with wood floor and saddle upholstry--too dark? Considering "less carpet" as I hate it at home and like to swiffer.

3. Which add-ons are worth it? Useless?

4. How much from the listed price does RVW dicker? On the warranty price? On the shipping?

5. Any other general advice on what we need to purchase to get started?

THANK YOU!!! I'm so glad to find a site to ask these things. So far the advice from Conrad at RVW has seemed very helpful, but in the end he's doing his job to sell us things.
-Kirsten
SchierFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:01 PM   #2
Grape Escape

Sure you will throughly enjoy the Rockwood. Wish we did it when the boys were young.
Only sore point with any Forest River product was the Concertone system but it should be worked out by now.
I would go for all the options other than RVQ grill and tire pressure monitors. The grill is not worth the $$ get a Weber portable or Broil King. Connection for grill easily added afterwards if you are mechanically inclined.
As for warrantee Forest River has an extented one for 2 yrs and would be worth looking into as it is less than $150. Other extended warrantees not worth $$.
Go for minimum carpet option especially with 3 kids.
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:38 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the site!

I agree with Dezolen...opt for the minimum carpet. We had the tire pressure monitoring which ended up being tossed...a total waste of money.

Are you able to order the hardwood looking linoleum with the cherry cabinets? If so, is flooring light oak or the light walnut colour?

Good luck with you decision.

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:25 AM   #4
Arn
Arn

General consensus is don't waste money on extended warranties. The second year option from Forest River maybe, but not a third party warranty. I personally love the Sidekick BBQ. I call it a 50/50 option because you'll find 50% love it & 50% hate it. You have a lot of hitch weight so I think you'd like the power jack. Other options I'm happy with are day/night shades, power awning, tinted safety glass, slide topper, heated mattress, oven & the hide-a-bed air mattress. If you plan on doing any cold weather camping the heated underbelly should be considered. That is a lot of trailer so make sure you get a good weight distribution hitch with sway control. I have a Reese Dual Cam hitch & it is really good. What are you going to be towing with?
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:38 AM   #5

Thanks for the welcome, folks! We will be hauling it with a 1/2 ton Suburban. As such, we've been looking for a unit under 6500 dry weight and will not be bringing our water in with us. We'll be doing the best of the best on sway, hitch and brakes (from reading all the posts on here, mostly!). Any other advice on that?

Being in the Northwest, we will likely be hitting pretty chilly nights in the mtns. I knew the Rockwood had an enclosed underbelly, but did not know it wasn't heated! I didn't notice that on the "options" info, is that something you have to ask for specially? THANK YOU for all the valuable real-life opinions. What the heck did people do before the internet for this?!
Old 10-24-2009, 11:25 AM   #6
Arn
Arn

Apparently heated holding tanks are a standard feature on the Signature trailers. I use a Prodigy brake controller & it seems to be one of the most popular ones out there. As for your Suburban, make sure you know the maximum hitch weight, towing capacity & rear end ratio. These are all important for towing ease & critical for towing safety. Don't forget your dry weight doesn't just mean no water. It is BEFORE awning, A/C & all options are added. You can realistically expect your trailer to weigh closer to 7,000lbs & your hitch weight to be pushing 1,000lbs.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:21 PM   #7

Good advice, Arn. Thanks! So, if we have a 5.3 liter engine, 3.7 axle, and towing capacity says 8200 (and it has the hitch button inside to switch on? Don't know what that does...) do you think we're ok? This has been our big struggle in finding a 3-4 bunk unit that is cold weather appropriate. We'll be looking for the Prodigy as well as an Equalizer hitch.

Dave-Monica--thanks for your words as well! Do you know if they offer two kinds of wood? Which do you think would look best with the cherry/saddle combo if you've seen them in person? Our local dealer has a 23' Rockwood with Saddle on the lot right now, but the linoleum square floor so at least I can see the upholstery in person.

Also, our local dealer that could order one in for us cautioned me that they make rigs different for shipping to different parts of the country (so not to buy over the internet). I've noticed that in some manufacturers, but the website for Forest River doesn't say any of that. In the Wildwoods, there was a "Northwest Package" to add, but nothing in the Rockwoods. Does anyone know??? We almost ordered a Surveyor Sport before realizing it was a stripped down Surveyor. I actually read on this site about another guy doing that--he saved us!!! I wish I could talk to a person from Forest River and ask these things. Does anyone know if there's a number to call and get them? All I see is statements that we should go through our local dealers. THEY obviously want us to buy with them, and don't seem to know a ton about these.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:09 PM   #8

i recently have a 2010 rockwood and love it i actually have the cherry wood with the saddle int. and i think they match perfect together i will try to take a picture and post it for you. i would also recommend the upgraded rims. i was not really sure about getting them but now that i have it they really turns heads.
2010 Keystone Laredo 310RE 5th wheel "sold"
2015 Georgetown 351 "sold"
2016 Coachmen Sportscoach 404RB
mack1roc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:37 PM   #9
Grape Escape

Local dealer is feeding you a line of BS. Bet he is no where near RV Wholesalers price. All the Rockwood signatures have heated holding tanks, insulated enclosed underbelly and I believe they now come with power front jack. Had a dealer in Ontario that said I needed CSA cert, no need for tinted windows or many other options I wanted. Obviously I did not buy from them. Rv wholesalers has all options listed on web site, you can call them to confirm everything, Usually their info is more up todate than Forest River's.
Good luck and happy hunting.
By all means if local dealer comes close to RV Wholesalers price it would be easier to buy from them but to save $5000 it is worth the drive
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:15 PM   #10
Arn
Arn

By the hitch button inside I assume you mean the Tow/Haul button? If so, this locks your truck out of overdrive when hauling anything heavy. I always use it but many use it only in hilly terrain. Your tranny will overheat & it can cause damage if it is constantly changing/searching for gears. This button also should mean you have the tow package including a tranny cooler. You might be a little short on power with the 5.3 if you're doing big hills but it will certainly pull it. For normal driving conditions you should have no concerns. Your axle is okay & you should be okay with 8,200 towing capacity. You really should find your maximum hitch weight as I think that will be the weak point in your setup. Hitch weight is a higher capacity with a weight distribution hitch so find that one out. All of this is simply my opinion so I would seek more advice. I don't know if you're a member of, but there is a great forum at rv.net . There a tons of knowledgeable people there. Good Luck.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:28 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchierFam View Post
Dave-Monica--thanks for your words as well! Do you know if they offer two kinds of wood? Which do you think would look best with the cherry/saddle combo if you've seen them in person? Our local dealer has a 23' Rockwood with Saddle on the lot right now, but the linoleum square floor so at least I can see the upholstery in person.
I only mentioned the light oak coloured linoleum as Forest River used it in combination with the white cabinets. I was just told today that the light oak floor is no longer available, but the light walnut coloured linoleum currently combined with the tuscany cabinets could also be ordered with the oak or the cherry cabinets through the dealer. (That's if your dealer willing to put through the request because not all will).

Personally, I think the light walnut floor with the oak cabinets and saddle decor makes a nice combo. I think the cherry cabinets with the light oak floor would be too dark. My judgment is only based on what I've seen on-line.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:58 PM   #12

Just deciding on financing now...

Thanks, Dave. I am worried that it would be too dark, too.

Now we are in the difficult stage of figuring out if we can afford the financing. I've read a bit on here and other sites about the 12 and 15 year financing and I think I'll start a new thread asking about depreciation. I'm hoping my hubby will look at the good deal we'd be getting from RVW and just decide to go for it! I'm sold.

Thanks again to everyone for your sharing your insights! Thanks too, Arn. Good info! I'll be checking that other site.
-Kirsten

Tags
rockwood