Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2016, 10:05 AM   #1
Cadiz Couple

Newby looking for answers

Just bought an 8310...almost no prior RV experience. Lots of questions...can't believe Forest River doesn't provide owners manuals specific to each model. Any advice regarding the following would be much appreciated.
1. Battery Disconnect. Should this be disconnected during travel? If disconnected, will my Tundra still charge the RV battery?
2. I have an ~8 inch extension between my truck and the hitch with the ball on it. Is it advisable to use this extension when pulling my 8310?
3. The previous owner traveled with the propane ON, to run the refrigerator. Is this safe? The literature I have does not address this.
4. My 8310 came with a ~2 foot long hand-crank. Previous owner didn't know what it is for...a longer hand-crank is for slides. I suspect the short one might be for the awning??? If so how is it attached.
5. I have a "tank heater" switch on the electrical panel. How do I know what all is heated..if anything??? Water lines? Only the fresh water tank? Waste tanks? All of the above?
6. During periods of brief freezing temps, such as occur during spring and fall, will leaving the furnace ON "probably" preclude freeze damage. I realize this is a judgement call, but I seek advice from those with experience.
Thanks so much...81-year old retired Navy pilot and his new bride.
Cadiz Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 12:13 PM   #2
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
1.....Leave on.....2...Wouldn't use extension if not needed for turning clearance, adds more leverage on hitch....3.....Safe to leave propane on, most do..4...the crank for my slide is only 2' long....5...just tanks are heated, not any lines...6...If plugged into shore power, use a small electric heater....propane won't last all that long, depending on size of tank(s)
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 02:01 PM   #3
Site Team

First, most RV manufacturers, not just FR, only provide a generic owners manual.
It's the industry norm.

1. No
2. No
3. Yes, majority of RVers do.
4. Either manual slideout crank or for manual extension of stabilizers.
5. Probably all the holding tanks.
6. I just use a ceramic heater inside.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:31 PM   #4
Arn
Arn

4 could also be manual crank for electric tongue jack. Mine is almost identical to stabilizer crank.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:00 PM   #5
Cadiz Couple

Arn.....thanks so much for your reply. I'll bet that you are correct...as soon as it is daylight I'm going to go looking for an attachment point on the front jack. Forest River surely doesn't make it easy for an inexperienced guy to get up to speed!!! I hope that I have by now found answers to most all of my unknowns, however, any other Rockwood and/or general RV advice from an old hand like you would be much appreciated. Gordy
Cadiz Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:38 PM   #6

Hey, Cadiz. Welcome from Lexington!

Congrats on your purchase. Enjoy, and thank you for your service sir.

The following errors occurred with your submissionOkay
Old 04-07-2016, 06:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadiz Couple View Post
Arn.....thanks so much for your reply. I'll bet that you are correct...as soon as it is daylight I'm going to go looking for an attachment point on the front jack. Forest River surely doesn't make it easy for an inexperienced guy to get up to speed!!! I hope that I have by now found answers to most all of my unknowns, however, any other Rockwood and/or general RV advice from an old hand like you would be much appreciated. Gordy
Look for a rubber plug on top of the jack and pull it out, that's where the hand crank usually goes.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:01 AM   #8

Cadiz...as was mentioned, don't pin it on Forest River for not having model specific manuals. I have had 4 campers by 4 different manufactures. The users manual on each was very generic. Message boards like this are very helpful. Fellow campers in campgrounds can be helpful also.
P.S. - Thanks for your service!
Old 04-10-2016, 02:40 AM   #9
Just a member

Some good advice here. Sure would be nice though if there was a model specific PCM.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:21 AM   #10
Gold Miner At Heart

Welcome. Small crank might be to crank down rear stabilizer jacks.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
1.....Leave on.....2...Wouldn't use extension if not needed for turning clearance, adds more leverage on hitch....3.....Safe to leave propane on, most do..4...the crank for my slide is only 2' long....5...just tanks are heated, not any lines...6...If plugged into shore power, use a small electric heater....propane won't last all that long, depending on size of tank(s)
Bob, on my Windjammer, all three tanks have heat pads and the exposed drain pipes and black/gray valves have heat pads.

Bruce