Old 06-20-2015, 10:20 AM   #111

I'm dragging my 5er down to Discount Tires today for new Marathons and steel valve stems. I'll be filling them with 78% nitrogen and putting the green valve stem caps back on to confuse the 100% nitrogen police!

2015 36DBK5
2015 Chevy 3500 dually
Ninemmsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:41 AM   #112
Site Team

May I ask a simple question here?

Of all the continuing posters to this thread, how many of you have totally reversed your opinion on Nitrogen (either for or against) from something you read here?

The reason I'm asking, in case the answer is none...is it seems like an awful lot of energy being spent on a non-existent problem.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:44 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
May I ask a simple question here?

Of all the posters to this thread, how many of you have totally reversed your opinion on Nitrogen from something you read here?
I actually did-it came filled with nitrogen when new, I assumed it was a huge benefit, but after reading this thread and actually thinking about the 1,000,000+ miles I've put on my cars and trucks over the years (all filled with plain ol' wet air), I've decided the nitrogen argument is pointless for my purposes.

2015 36DBK5
2015 Chevy 3500 dually
Ninemmsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:46 AM   #114
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninemmsig View Post
I actually did-it came filled with nitrogen when new, I assumed it was a huge benefit, but after reading this thread and actually thinking about the 1,000,000+ miles I've put on my cars and trucks over the years (all filled with plain ol' wet air), I've decided the nitrogen argument is pointless for my purposes.
Good deal, and thanks for answering. It shows that this topic does have relevance.

Sometimes a thread that becomes a circle discussion, with no really right or wrong, leads to frustration from one or both trains of thought....and then goes off the rails.

I do wish to commend all the posters here, as ya have held a circle discussion with respect and tact. Carry on.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:49 AM   #115

Lots of garbage in this thread. (sorry). IF you get your nitrogen fill ups for free or almost, by all means use it. The advantages are slight but there.... Here are some TRUE N/air facts.

1. Nitrogen is invariably dry where as air may not be.

2. Nitrogen does not lend itself to corrosion. This may help to prevent the rust or aluminum oxidation on the rim bead seal. (This can be significant on aluminum wheels.)

3. It also helps to prevent rust on the straps, rivets, or any other hardware that may exist on internal tire pressure sensors. (While the straps are usually SS, much of the other hardware isn't.)

4. N follows the same gas expansion rules as air. In itself, it does not hold pressure any better.

5. The difference in molecular size has almost ZERO impact in a tire. The size difference is negligible and a tire will either leak or not....

6. Yep, air is about 75%+ nitrogen, but it's that 20%+ of O2 that is so bad...

7 Sometimes racing use of nitrogen is cited as proof for N being so good. Nope. We use it cause it's cheap, dry and portable in tanks.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:54 AM   #116

One other thing. When this nitrogen thing started many shops bought N machines. Not because they thought it was much better, or to make a killing in the market. It was simply because many customers were demanding it. We had no choice. And since it was free (to me), I used it...
Old 06-20-2015, 10:59 AM   #117
Mod free 5er

In my 60+ yrs of messing with tires, I've never encountered rust on the inside of a rim with an inflated tire, alum or steel. Never used anything but plain old air. IMO, nitrogen filled tires are just a lot of bunk to fleece folks out of more $$$.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:09 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
In my 60+ yrs of messing with tires, I've never encountered rust on the inside of a rim with an inflated tire, alum or steel. Never used anything but plain old air. IMO, nitrogen filled tires are just a lot of bunk to fleece folks out of more $$$.
60 years? I am a bit shocked. As the owner of a shop I have seen it dozens of times in under 20 years. I have seen aluminum wheel beads that had to be refinished to seal.

Since most shops here give N for free with new tires and even top off for free, the "fleecing" is apparently not making them much money.

As I clearly pointed out, the SCIENTIFIC advantages to N exist. They are slight but there. If your N is free, use it....
Old 06-20-2015, 11:15 AM   #119

I've been driving for 35+ years...only ever had or saw nitrogen in our new 2011 camper. Maybe my cargo trailer had it. Had to replace tires due to dry rot on both trailers in 3 years time.

My riding tractor was 12 years old - held air well and tires never dry rotted. I have a trailer converted from road use to yard use, 18 years old, tires hold air and have not dryrotted at all. Air, not nitrogen, in them.

Is nitrogen a contributor to dry rot? Can't say for sure based on my experience, but I lean that way.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 11:20 AM   #120
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Schings View Post
60 years? I am a bit shocked. As the owner of a shop I have seen it dozens of times in under 20 years. I have seen aluminum wheel beads that had to be refinished to seal.

Since most shops here give N for free with new tires and even top off for free, the "fleecing" is apparently not making them much money.

As I clearly pointed out, the SCIENTIFIC advantages to N exist. They are slight but there. If your N is free, use it....
Didn't ever work in a tire shop, just relating my own personal experiences with cars, trucks, race cars, etc I have owned and replaced tires on.