Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2015, 02:59 PM   #61
Site Team - Lou

I use 79% Nitrogen as well.

Total waste of money, IMO.
YMMV
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:11 PM   #62

All the reports are based on how much air you lose. If you check your pressure regularly and keep you tire inflated to the manufactures specification there is no advantage to nitrogen. Read this study NHTSA 2008 Nitrogen Inflation Study on the Branick site. It says that if you don't have to refill your tires just top them up in three years the oxygen level goes from 21% to 15%
"An analysis of oxygen levels in the inflation gas of
seventy-six tires that were currently in service on passenger vehicles, and which were all originally inflated and toppedoff
with air (21% O2), showed that the inflation gas dropped to an average of 15% O2 after about three years of service"

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:12 PM   #63
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevendhoffman View Post
http://www.branick.com/Nitrogen%20-%...20Nitrogen.pdf

Here are the facts for your consideration.
Interesting non-profit whose sole purpose is to create a market for a waste product of aviation oxygen production.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 04:19 PM   #64

Interesting facts about under-inflation and tire wear, loss of mileage, etc... You'll get no argument from me on any of that as it's all proven fact. In all of that I saw nothing about them running cooler... There's no scientific... or common sense... data supporting anything other than the tire losing pressure a little quicker with compressed air. No one has come up with a valid explanation as to how the other gasses are evacuated from the tire to get 100% nitrogen fill, so I'll have to assume they don't actually do that.

I recently took a 2000 mile trip and made sure my tires were at proper pressure before leaving. I was gone 12 days and my tire pressure had diminished by about 1/2 psi average when I backed it back into it's storage spot. Two months later and they were up 2 psi due to warmer ambient temperatures... Why is this such a big deal? If filled with nitrogen, the same result would be there... or so close it wouldn't really make a difference.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:24 PM   #65

So... it boils down to... If you think it's worth whatever they are charging to raise the percentage of nitrogen in your tires, go for it... but do so with the knowledge that what's in your tires isn't pure nitrogen, and it's not a fail-safe method of keeping your tires cool, or preventing blow-outs... And please check your tire pressure before leaving town... for your safety and for the sake of enjoying your trip, as trouble-free as possible.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:25 PM   #66
Happy Keystone Owner

For 20+ years I've worked with a world wide supplier of industrial gasses. We produce it and distribute it. With the thousand upon thousands of our tires on the road daily with semi's, service trucks, sales, and company cars...not a single one runs nitrogen in the tires. We have an unlimited supply and we don't use it. We did many years ago but only because we ran our shops on N2 instead of air compressors. For safety reasons, asphyxiation, we don't use it any longer. I don't see any difference in blow outs than before. Most, if not all, were due to tire damage or under inflated. Can't say if fuel mileage is any better of worse since most vehicles get better fuel mileage.
Over the years I've seen contracts for liquid N2 ranging from .24 - .35 per 100 cubic feet. There is 93.11 cubic feet per gallon liquid. I don't know how many cubic feet of air a tire will hold but I suspect 30cents will fill quite a few tires.
For the record...air is only 78.09% nitrogen.

oh...and I just topped off all my factory filled TT tires with 8lbs each of air including the spare that has never touched the ground. Inside storage, too!

Yeah, I think you're getting ripped off!

Years camping....55
dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 03:52 AM   #67
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa Jim View Post
I believe that the vulcanization of rubber in a tire is broken down faster with oxygen present.
Agreed. But how do you prevent the external parts of the tire from being exposed to that beastly element?

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 04:09 AM   #68
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Nitro, will run the tire temp cooler, as far as the vacuum. If they use the machines it will vacuum out any air in them. That is the main reason they use it in Plane tires.
Not exactly... N2 (Nitrogen) is an inert gas and as such does not support combustion. Back in the 50s, when magnesium alloy wheels became all the rage for high performance aircraft, there arose a problem. Overheated brakes or brake fires were frequently leading to the loss of aircraft due to the propensity for magnesium to burn, fed by air (O2) in the associated tire. That was the primary driver for the subsequent employment of inert gases (N2) to inflate aircraft tires.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 04:56 AM   #69

Wow the article posted is very interesting and twists the facts like most sales articles.

While under inflated it is true tires do wear quicker, but it does not matter what gas is in them air or nitrogen. They will still wear the same if under inflated. Many people do not check the air pressure often or ever in their vehicle. So many vehicles are under inflated this will make them feel more secure in not checking their tires at all. Nothing to do with what is in them.

Just for me I had to add air to my nitrogen filled tires just like any tire I have owned so now they are at 79%. Around here Nitrogen is costly & hard to find Unless you step outside there is still plenty of the 79% nitrogen.

Oh disregard I forgot if it is on the internet it must be true....

If any one is interested I could probably come up with a few pet rocks to sell everyone needs one.......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:22 AM   #70

Old timer ting.....Dang.... Just thought of this....The next time I have the Plant Managers & Engineers together at either the Goodyear or Yokohama tire plants in the area I will get their take on Nitrogen. But that will be awhile maybe, who knows.....but knowing me I will forget........ where am I??? ...... This job is great don't know day to day where I might end up.... been many places I would never get to go any other way.............

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 06-03-2015, 06:20 AM   #71
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Old timer ting.....Dang.... Just thought of this....The next time I have the Plant Managers & Engineers together at either the Goodyear or Yokohama tire plants in the area I will get their take on Nitrogen. But that will be awhile maybe, who knows.....but knowing me I will forget........ where am I??? ...... This job is great don't know day to day where I might end up.... been many places I would never get to go any other way.............

Don't worry about CRS disease.....there will be at least 15 new threads on this subject over the next year...

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:05 AM   #72

Just curious.....anyone know how the "Trucking/Industry" approaches this subject? ....
Old 06-03-2015, 09:16 AM   #73

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
There are pros and cons about nitrogen. Since I had that tire separation in Ft Worth a few years ago, I decided to err on the side of caution. It's very disconcerting to look in your rear mirror and see rubber and wood exploding all over the highway,,,,leave alone the liability of possibly causing people behind you to get their day ruined. I myself don't thin that nitrogeln will run cooler or stop blow outs,,,,,I just have a scientific mind when it comes to oxygen breaking down the vulcanization inside the tire since it is a powerful gas. For the outside of my tires, I make sure they are covered when we park and camp and I keep them on plywood to keep them away from the oils in blacktop. The TPMS is a very common sensical thing and spin balancing them is also. Do what you want, but I have diminished the chances, not eliminated, mind you,,,
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:00 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
Don't worry about CRS disease.....there will be at least 15 new threads on this subject over the next year...
As long as there's a buck to be made from this scam... the sales tales will continue... ... Oh well... back to our regularly scheduled program...
Old 06-03-2015, 12:19 PM   #75

Nitrogen is really great for your tires, but make sure you find a tire shop that's installing it correctly so you'll get the most benefit.

Look for a shop that has a sealed tire mounting area, completely flooded with 100% Nitrogen so you don't get any "air" in the tire while they are mounting it.
It's easy to recognize a shop doing this, because the installers will be wearing fireman type respirators.

Most shops won't go to such lengths, but keep looking until you find one.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:33 PM   #76
Happy Keystone Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tande View Post
Just curious.....anyone know how the "Trucking/Industry" approaches this subject? ....
I suppose there might be a few owner operators trying to maximize every last drop of fuel. Who knows what they're getting out of it if anything. They think they are!

Sent from space

Years camping....55
dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:47 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad View Post
Nitrogen is really great for your tires, but make sure you find a tire shop that's installing it correctly so you'll get the most benefit.

Look for a shop that has a sealed tire mounting area, completely flooded with 100% Nitrogen so you don't get any "air" in the tire while they are mounting it.
It's easy to recognize a shop doing this, because the installers will be wearing fireman type respirators.

Most shops won't go to such lengths, but keep looking until you find one.

Do What ????? What is a Fireman Respirator ??? Do you mean an SCBA Self Contained Breathing Apparatus ??? They wear an air tank on their back???
I guarantee there are none of those within 300 miles of here......

Interesting I have never seen that....

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 06-03-2015, 02:08 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Do What ????? What is a Fireman Respirator ??? Do you mean an SCBA Self Contained Breathing Apparatus ??? They wear an air tank on their back???
I guarantee there are none of those within 300 miles of here......

Interesting I have never seen that....
LOL, I thought the wink emoji was enough, but I guess I should have added this one as well.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:45 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad View Post
LOL, I thought the wink emoji was enough, but I guess I should have added this one as well.

I'm slow & not much on implied humor..... Sometimes it takes a brick...........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 06-03-2015, 07:13 PM   #80

A gimmick, I personally don't have the extra money to spend on nitrogen when I can use regular air for free in my garage. Just be religious
about checking your PSI.
Mike Tav is offline   Reply With Quote