Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2013, 05:58 PM   #1

Not happy with my Rockwood

Last July my wife and I traded in our 2004 Nash for a 2013 Rockwood 2608WS. We really liked the looks and many features of the Rockwood. Then after camping in it we have found that we have some issues with it.

Whoever designed this TT must never have been camping before or even knew what a TT was used for.

Starting with the outside, the lamp on the outside is located at the front of the trailer and serves no purpose when the door into the trailer is open. The door blocks any light that may shine on the steps. Same as the speakers, located at the very front of the trailer. When the door is open, it blocks the music. The electric stabilizer jacks are not very good. With them down, the trailer still moves like it is on water.

Inside, the bathroom lamp is located behind whoever is standing at the sink and you cannot see.

The worst thing is the location of the fresh water tank. It is a 36 gallon tank and is located at the very back of the TT. At 8.34 pounds per gallon, that is 300.24 pounds lifting the tongue of the trailer. The first time that I towed it with a full tank of water and my generator (140 lbs) on the back carrying rack. When I got up to 55 mph, the trailer wagged so bad that I chase other vehicles off the road. It was up on 2 wheels and very close to flipping.

With the new hitch, it has settled down while towing. I have not tried it with the generator on the back yet.

Other than these issues, we enjoy our trailer
Tom Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:33 AM   #2

It's common to find issues after you start using your new camper.. I mostly just try to compensate by making adjustments or modification (but of course there are certain things that you just have to live with).. I'm in the same boat, we find things that are better placed somewhere else or positioned in a different way. Other than that we also enjoyed our trailer. Good luck!
Old 07-31-2013, 06:04 AM   #3

Hello,
I have had to make some modifications such as adding an additional light over a counter.
On towing with a full tank of water - there have been many posts on that and you should check with Rockwood to see if that is advisable with your particular model TT.
My TT would rock and I solved that issue with X-Chocks as many other people have done.
2012 Rockwood 2109S (Sold)
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS

wbdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:19 AM   #4

We've had our 2608 since April and absolutely love it! We have not had a single problem requiring dealer help. Sure, there are a couple of things I'll change/modify like the outside speakers. But, overall we love the trailer. The layout is perfect for us with the front kitchen/rear bedroom.

We have an abundance of counter space and storage. We did have a learning curve on the right balance of weight distribution. A few pounds in front or behind the axles makes a massive difference. We never travel with fresh water. As the OP states, that's a lot of weight behind the axles.

We're new to camping and maybe weren't smart enough to know the placement of the lights and speakers weren't all that great...but, after reading all the issues others have with their new TT's we count ourselves as pretty darned fortunate.

Since buying this one we've gotten addicted to looking at floor plans and other models. We're yet to find a single model that has a more functional layout for our camping style.

Hate hearing of your issues, but it sounds like these are mostly preferences, rather than problems. Good luck to you and happy camping!
Old 07-31-2013, 06:36 AM   #5

I think the combination of a generator AND full water tank on the back of your trailer might be a bit much. Perhaps just one or the other (I actually do not know how heavy the generator is.) I only have a 28 gallon water tank, and like yours it's in the back. Running full it has not seemed to cause any handling issues. But I also make sure to load other stuff to the front of the trailer. Are you able to haul your generator in the the TV?
John4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:47 AM   #6
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wolf View Post
Last July my wife and I traded in our 2004 Nash for a 2013 Rockwood 2608WS.
Considering what a Nash sells for v. a Rockwood .... We had a similar feeling going from a Sunline to our Rocky. But you can't beat the new floor plan. (We have the 2604WS)

Quote:
The electric stabilizer jacks are not very good. With them down, the trailer still moves like it is on water.
Blame the torsion bar, independent suspension. The same suspension that makes it ride so smoothly. When we camp for a week, we put a scissor jack under each plate that holds the torsion tubes. This removes bounce. X-chocks take away front-to-back motion.
Quote:
Inside, the bathroom lamp is located behind whoever is standing at the sink and you cannot see.
True. We bought a battery operated LED light and set it over the medicine cabinet. Here's the light and make up mirror:

As for the swaying, you discovered you can't haul water and a generator.

Quote:
All easily dealt with, as you're discovering. Each trip will reveal another minor issue to be solved. That's part of the fun.

Teach
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:03 AM   #7

Decals

I can't find decals for my 2006 Rockwood tt 8317SS. They started to peel about a year after we bought it. I find it embarrassing .People think that you don't take care of it. I would think that Forest River would do better. it speak for their company!

Quote:
Last July my wife and I traded in our 2004 Nash for a 2013 Rockwood 2608WS. We really liked the looks and many features of the Rockwood. Then after camping in it we have found that we have some issues with it.

Whoever designed this TT must never have been camping before or even knew what a TT was used for.

Starting with the outside, the lamp on the outside is located at the front of the trailer and serves no purpose when the door into the trailer is open. The door blocks any light that may shine on the steps. Same as the speakers, located at the very front of the trailer. When the door is open, it blocks the music. The electric stabilizer jacks are not very good. With them down, the trailer still moves like it is on water.

The worst thing is the location of the fresh water tank. It is a 36 gallon tank and is located at the very back of the TT. At 8.34 pounds per gallon, that is 300.24 pounds lifting the tongue of the trailer. The first time that I towed it with a full tank of water and my generator (140 lbs) on the back carrying rack. When I got up to 55 mph, the trailer wagged so bad that I chase other vehicles off the road. It was up on 2 wheels and very close to flipping.

With the new hitch, it has settled down while towing. I have not tried it with the generator on the back yet.

red88holl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:01 PM   #8

awellis3, I really like the light you have in the bathroom. Good idea. We do use the X-chock between the tires. I have also found that if the S. jacks are all the way down, they work better. With my Nash, I had blocks that I put under the crank downs so that I did not have to crank so far. If I do that with the electric jacks, it makes it really unstable. So now they go all the way down.

Since we do a lot of dry camping, I have to have a full tank of water. Our old hitch set up was almost 18 years old and the bars were rated at 1000 pounds each side. The dealer told us that was to heavy so we bought a new round bar E2 hitch which we did. Towing without water was great on the way back from Spokane with the new hitch. I looked down and was going 83 so I then slowed down. First try with water it towed good also. I had the generator in the back of the truck. Next time out, I am going to try it on the trailer with a full tank. I did see a setup where you can mount the generator on the front above the propane tanks. May have to check into that.

Well, thanks for your replies. I think I am going to like this forum.

Tom
Old 08-04-2013, 08:54 PM   #9

Tom... Do you have a support under your steps? It made a big difference for us.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #10
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDHfan View Post
Tom... Do you have a support under your steps? It made a big difference for us.
X Eleventy!

We just got back from a trip to Lake of the Pines in TX. This is the first time we used very inexpensive step supports we bought a month ago.

HUGE difference! LOVE 'EM!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #11

I have never heard of a support under the steps. How does that work?

I did figure something out with the jacks. With all my old trailers I had blocks that I would stick under the crank down jacks. They are ends off of a glue lam and measure about 12"X18". I had used them on the Rockwood also which allowed the jacks to only go down about 3 to 4 inches. Once I tried the jacks without the blocks, it made a big difference in the movement. With the jacks extended all the way down, I had less movement. Never would have thought it would have made a difference.

I had also read somewhere on a forum about cleaning the top of the slides before moving them when camping. I had never done this before until this trailer. When I did this I found that the black rubber that is attached to the trailer is torn. It looks as if the slide was moved in at the manufacturers before the rubber sealant was dry and got stuck to the black rubber. So now both pieces need to replaced. Hopefully the extend warranty will cover it.

Tom
Old 08-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #12

Quote:
I have never heard of a support under the steps. How does that work?
I just use my Lynx Levelers under the bottom step... Not a great pic but you can see the orange lynx blocks in orange.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-764245087.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	37016  
Old 08-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #13

Thanks, I never would have thought about putting anything under the steps. I will have to try that.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #14

Weight issues with 2608WS

I am looking at purchasing a 2608WS as you all seem to have. I am concerned about the cargo carrying capacity as the yellow label on the unit says 880lbs cargo capacity without water. The axles are only rated for 3000 lbs each which is apparently why the cargo weight is so low. Has anyone had issues with the weight when loaded up to go camping, assuming you do not travel with water in the tank? I to like the layout and functionality of the unit. Only concern is the cargo carrying capacity.
sabanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #15

Any spare water that I carry I have in the back of my truck. I just checked my yellow sticker and it said 943 lbs of cargo and a full tank of water would weigh 250. If I understand correct, that would mean that I can carry 943 lbs plus the 250 lbs of water. Each axle is rated 3000 lbs so with 2 axles would that not mean 6000 lbs?

If it were not for the location of the fresh water tank, I could live with all the other issues with the trailer. All of the are fixable except the tank location. If I were to buy another one, I would have gone with the 2904SS.

Do remember to check the top of the slide for any damage.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:14 PM   #16

Teach,
That light over the bath cabinet looks like what I've been looking for. What is it, and where did you get it?

Thanks,
2011 Rockwood 2604
K_and_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:35 PM   #17

I have seen similar lights at Lowe's and Home Depot.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:44 PM   #18

Just about the first mod we did on the trailer was have the dealer add a light on the bathroom ceiling above the mirror. Couldn't see anything without it, but all is good now. Not an expensive add on and looks original. Works on the same switch as the other ceiling light.
2012 Rockwood UltraLite 2304s trailer
timarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:10 PM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by red88holl View Post
I can't find decals for my 2006 Rockwood tt 8317SS. They started to peel about a year after we bought it. I find it embarrassing .People think that you don't take care of it. I would think that Forest River would do better. it speak for their company!
First try your dealer for the decals. If that doesn't work, call to the Rockwood plant in Elkart, Ind. I was just a FROG rally there and toured the Rockwood plant. As we were at the rally in Goshen, Forest River techs came out and fixed hundreds of units for free. For a few they came out and replaced decals. Mike Stump, Forest River Public Relations sat down with us one night and told us that Forest River goal is to please everyone as possible. His advice is: if the dealers don't work for you, go over there heads to the top, they aim to please you there.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood