Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2013, 02:11 AM   #1

OEM battery on Rockwood 5th wheel?

Does anyone know what the OEM battery(ies) is on a Rockwood (or Flagstaff) 5th wheel - 31' -- ???

We're picking up our new Rockwood 8281WS Saturday morning, from the dealer. Part of the deal is that they're 'upgrading' our batteries to two 6V batteries.

But, in all the dealing discussion, we didn't get down to what the original batteries were - and I want to make sure that we actually end up with an upgrade. The Rockwood/Flagstaff online link to the Owner's Manual isn't working, so I'm not able to get the info online.

So, does anyone know what battery came with their (similar) 5th wheel?
Or, does each dealer supply whatever battery they feel like putting in?

Thanks for any info!
Hwy50CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:26 AM   #2
Owner/Operator

I took delivery of my 8289WS on March 15th. It had one battery when shipped from the factory, and the dealer told me that they had to add a second battery as the 8289WS is to have two batteries.

That being said, they were both Interstate SRM-24s (Group 24).

One of the first things that I did was replace them with Trojan 30XHS 12V batteries. That gives me 210 Amp Hours. I had to purchase new battery boxes and fabricate vents for them.

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:58 AM   #3

There are not OEM batteries. The manufacture ships them without one. To get them to the dealer the transport company uses a cheap one to run the rv. When it arrives at the dealer they install one. Usually a cheap one. I swapped mine out in my sandpiper 365 4 months after I had it because the battery kep going dead when I would hook up my rv. I swapped out for a deep cycle battery
chiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:11 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Mine had an interstate deep cycle battery in it but it was added at the dealer.
There not shipped with camper.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:26 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

My dealer installed a Deka DC-24 Marine battery.

While not the best; it is far from the worst OEM battery I have seen. A call to the manufacturer was required to get the AH rating. The Deka DC-24 has 75 Amp Hour capacity if anyone is interested. I installed a second one a week after I took delivery since I planned on doing a lot of camping without hook ups.

I had planned to replace them with two 12 volt Trojans, but they have been working fine now for more than 4 seasons.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:09 PM   #6
Site Team

since they don't install them at the factory, the dealer will install a budget Group 24 in it.
unless you ask the dealer for something different.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:58 AM   #7

I transport FWs part time for a dealer located in Denver. I also own one. The battery is supplied by the dealer as part of the prep fee they probably charged you.
Going with two 6v batteries is a wise choice, slightly more expensive, but more amp hours than 2 12v batteries. Dealer should also supply the dual battery box required and make sure it is installed with the proper venting.

Tell the dealer you want either Interstate or Trojan batteries that are RV/golf cart specific, not marine batteries. Then you can be sure you actually have an upgrade. Otherwise you might end up with batteries purchased from Costco or an auto parts store. These are less expensive, but with fewer amp hours and not quite as good.
I speak from 30 years of experience using the 2 6v combination.

Ken

04.5 CTD 2500 Dodge 6spd manual
2014 Flagstaff 8528ckws
elkabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:36 AM   #8

Thanks everyone - all of the info was very helpful!
Hwy50CA is offline   Reply With Quote