Old 11-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #11

Maybe I'm a little slow on the uptake but did Shirley run the slides out before you were unhooked?

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:52 AM   #12

I had something similar happen the first trip out with the new Windjammer. One of the campgrounds we stopped by had gravel sites. I was using BAL wheel locks and the camper shifted on the gravel after it was unhooked and we were moving around inside. Wheel locks held, but it just twisted a bit.

The DW and I looked at each other and it was a what the freak was that moment. New camper, second night on a long road trip, and limited tool selection. Thankfully the stabilizers held, the Barker jack I had installed worked and the truck was clear of the trailer tongue.

No damage, but it did drive home the need to make sure the camper is firmly planted each stop. We still use the wheel locks, but use chocks as well front and rear of the tire sets.

JR

2008 Toy Tundra DC 5.7L Bagged w/LTs
Hensley Arrow
2012 Windjammer 3001W, Atriumed
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #13

Old Car-
This is or first year with this beast. Once I'm level side to side and I don't have to do a lot of leveling front to rear, right or wrong, I let Shirley do her thing.

JR-
NOT a good feeling when something moves when that thing that moves is not supposed to move, is it?

BTW I'm now the proud owner of two, not one but two, Fastway One-Step wheel chocks, one for each side. Truck doesn't get unhooked til both are set. I had one set and if I had it set properly, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation. But I ain't taking no chances anymore.

'13 Windjammer 3025W
'14 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins
No dogs. No Cats. No kids. Just us.
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:19 AM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeR View Post
I had something similar happen the first trip out with the new Windjammer. One of the campgrounds we stopped by had gravel sites. I was using BAL wheel locks and the camper shifted on the gravel after it was unhooked and we were moving around inside. Wheel locks held, but it just twisted a bit...
We you using one or two BAL X Chocks?
Old 11-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #15

Wolf, I was just curious. In our first season I had the trailer move as I unhitched from the truck so I have the wheels chocked before unhitching now and they stay in until I am hooked back up. I use the Camco tandem axel chocks that wedge between the two tires. Each side gets one and then usually I put the basic wheel chocks in place on the side that is not elevated for leveling purposes.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
And one night, in the not too distant future, you'll awaken in your camper to a ruckus in the cg. Upon investigation you'll find out a neighbor is having problems with his tongue jack. You'll offer your help and the conversation will begin with "man, I had the same problem once. I can help with this." Lol
And the reputation of rvers nationwide will get a boost. That's what we do.
A kind soul from Colorado loaned me a jack and helped me unhook - and two days later, re-hook - our Windjammer in a campground in Vicksburg, MS just last month.

Our dealer told us they had replaced several jacks on the new Rockwood trailers. They have a built-in level in a cap on the top of the jack that you can remove to access the shaft to manually crank it if it quits. The cap leaks water, the jacks fills up with water, and eventually shorts out the motor. Ours did that while we were in Texas. By the time we got to Mississippi, the water had rusted the inside of the jack where it could no longer even be turned manually with a ratchet and socket; hence, the need for a bottle jack under the foot of the electric jack.

Ours is in the shop even as we speak, getting the jack replaced.

And I'll "pay it forward" for the next guy that has a problem. New bottle jack now resides in the back of my pick-up.
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax 4X4
It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
We you using one or two BAL X Chocks?
Two, but the gravel shifted under the wheels.

One contributing factor was the cone type jack stand block up front. Nothing but a good old chunk of 4x6 now under the leveling jack. That yellow cone worked well under the old 24 footer.

2008 Toy Tundra DC 5.7L Bagged w/LTs
Hensley Arrow
2012 Windjammer 3001W, Atriumed
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:21 AM   #18

Old Car-
Most time when I unhook the B.B.B. (Big Brown Behemoth) and it moves a little ittybit, I get worried. 'Specially when she's headed toward the trubk ( even though the movement is 'bout a whole 1/8 in.

Capt. Mike-
If your dealer has changed some and mine has done the same, how many of these things does Rockwood have to replace before they get a clue? I still haven't figured out how all that water gets in there. I know that bubble cap thingy is the only way, but when I took off the jack housing down to the gears I was amazed at the amount of water.

JoeR-
I now carry a chunk of RR tie.

'13 Windjammer 3025W
'14 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins
No dogs. No Cats. No kids. Just us.
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote