Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2013, 06:49 PM   #1

opinions on 8282ws fifth wheel

newbie to this forum and looking for opinions of the 8282wd rockwood fifth wheel. We are looking to order one very soon and looking for any good or bad. Appreciate any info
mijones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Wish I could help on the rockwood but I cant.

But what I can offer is Welcome to the forum and good luck in your search.

TURBS
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum!

We have had our 8280WS for 3 years and haven't had any issues. The 8282WS is a new floorplan and there may not be many owners on here yet. I feel that the build quality and features are good for the price in the Rockwood line.

I'd point out that this floorplan is unusual in that it has only one gray tank...no galley tank. That'd be a deal breaker for us as we almost never camp with full hook-ups.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:41 PM   #4

That is an all-new floorplan by the looks of it. Interesting!
We have the same size, but different model in a Flagstaff.

The positives;
-lightweight for the size
-fit and finish are second-to-none in the price range, and very good regardless of price
-relatively easy to pull, rubber torsion axles seem to ride nice and smooth
-seem to be well-built. We have had no problems related to the construction. Actually, we have had very few problems of any kind.

The negatives;
-it is a lightweight, so all construction reflects that
-the frame is very light, adequate for the job, but cannot be used to pull a boat behind
-no roof rafters, but still seems strong enough
-no regular plywood on the floor. It is a bonded "sandwich", thin plywood/aluminum frame insulation/thin plywood. They used to have an issue because the "plywood" they used was too thin and cheap, and the floors failed. But I believe they are now using a reasonable thickness. Still not like the heavier campers that have 5/8ths plywood on the floor, but seems ok.
-Exterior walls are thin to save on weight, but the insulation value is lower because of it. So it does take more to heat and cool. We live in moderate climate, so haven't been too bothered by that.

So overall, if it is a lightweight camper that you are shopping for, the Rockwood/Flagstaff line is a good one. We are very happy with ours, and would have a hard time finding any reason to look for something different.
Good hunting, and welcome to the forum!
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
Welcome to the forum!

We have had our 8280WS for 3 years and haven't had any issue. The 8282WS is a new floorplan and there may not be many owners on here yet. I feel that the build quality and features are good for the price in the Rockwood line.

I'd point out that this floorplan is unusual in that it has only one gray tank...no galley tank. That'd be a deal breaker for us as we almost never camp with full hook-ups.

Dave
thanks for the info most of the time we camp with full hook ups so that should no problem. glad to heart you are happy with the build quality
Old 03-15-2013, 08:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
That is an all-new floorplan by the looks of it. Interesting!
We have the same size, but different model in a Flagstaff.

The positives;
-lightweight for the size
-fit and finish are second-to-none in the price range, and very good regardless of price
-relatively easy to pull, rubber torsion axles seem to ride nice and smooth
-seem to be well-built. We have had no problems related to the construction. Actually, we have had very few problems of any kind.

The negatives;
-it is a lightweight, so all construction reflects that
-the frame is very light, adequate for the job, but cannot be used to pull a boat behind
-no roof rafters, but still seems strong enough
-no regular plywood on the floor. It is a bonded "sandwich", thin plywood/aluminum frame insulation/thin plywood. They used to have an issue because the "plywood" they used was too thin and cheap, and the floors failed. But I believe they are now using a reasonable thickness. Still not like the heavier campers that have 5/8ths plywood on the floor, but seems ok.
-Exterior walls are thin to save on weight, but the insulation value is lower because of it. So it does take more to heat and cool. We live in moderate climate, so haven't been too bothered by that.

So overall, if it is a lightweight camper that you are shopping for, the Rockwood/Flagstaff line is a good one. We are very happy with ours, and would have a hard time finding any reason to look for something different.
Good hunting, and welcome to the forum!
thanks for the info. glad to hear that you feel rockwood/flagstaff are good units appreciate the input
Old 03-16-2013, 10:30 AM   #7

We looked at that floorplan and decided to go with the 8289WS (just ordered on Monday) instead. Loved the big couch and room in the living area. But decided that we would get tired of moving the island around and having to put the folding chairs up and down depending on if we were using it or not. The one gray tank was the other deciding factor. Many times we just have electric hookups and it is nice to not have to worry as much about the gray tank filling up. We've been happy with our previous two Rockwoods. As has been stated. They are lightweight and therefore there are things that are compromised slightly, but overall, the quality and value for the money is great. If I were full timing or camping more than we currently do, I would probably look at something a bit more stout but for now it is good.
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #8

thanks Tom. The table and chairs are our major concern also, but we really like the rest of the layout and the weight is good for my truck. Good to hear you are happy with the build quality for a lightweight. After looking around for months and two rv shows we too agree the value for the money is there. We also looked at your model but it is too heavy for my TV we have a 2012 dodge ram with the hemi and towing package but my payload is only 1475 lbs and the pin weight on your model was above that empty, so we could not even look at it Too bad because we really liked the layout in your model. Thanks for your reply
Old 03-16-2013, 12:19 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijones View Post
We also looked at your model but it is too heavy for my TV we have a 2012 dodge ram with the hemi and towing package but my payload is only 1475 lbs and the pin weight on your model was above that empty
The truck's payload of 1475 lb is with full fuel and a 150 lb driver, nothing else. Once you add any dealer added equipment like tonneau cover and step bars, a real person as a driver, passengers and hitch, your real payload will be less than 1000 lb. The only true way to determine the payload is to weigh the truck loaded and ready to camp adding for the 5W hitch (about 150 lb) and deduct that number from the truck's GVWR and RAWR.

Dave

Old 03-16-2013, 07:16 PM   #10

thanks Dave it looks like i should be sticking to a tt
Old 03-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I towed our 8280WS for 2 years with a '05 Ram 1500 and a scaled pin weight of 1240 lb. I was over the truck's GVWR and just under it's RAWR which made me uncomfortable. Having said that, it towed quite nice including in the mountains of WV. The only time I felt uncomfortable towing was once in some 45 mph cross winds.

There's no question that the F250 is a more capable tow vehicle and easily handles the pin weight.

Dave

Old 03-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
I towed our 8280WS for 2 years with a '05 Ram 1500 and a scaled pin weight of 1240 lb. I was over the truck's GVWR and just under it's RAWR which made me uncomfortable. Having said that, it towed quite nice including in the mountains of WV. The only time I felt uncomfortable towing was once in some 45 mph cross winds.

There's no question that the F250 is a more capable tow vehicle and easily handles the pin weight.

Dave
Question, why would the 45 mph cross wind be less of a concern with the F250 than the Ram 1500? I'm confused (usually am)
Old 03-16-2013, 09:20 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Question, why would the 45 mph cross wind be less of a concern with the F250 than the Ram 1500? I'm confused (usually am)
The F250 weighs 1800 lb more...pretty hard for the cross winds on the camper to push the truck around. I've towed in similar cross winds with the F250 with no drama.

Dave

Old 03-16-2013, 10:01 PM   #14
Rockwood 8289WS Diamond

We just got our 8289WS Diamond Edition on Monday. Took it out for a 3 day adventure and had a wonderful time. Only problem we had was with the interior step louvers are easy to catch your heel on and they break pretty easily. Already broke one and have to order a replacement.

Towing with a Tundra and works well for a gas engine. We love the Tundra but if we were gonna be full timers would definitely go with a diesel truck, Ford F250.

Otherwise very happy with the purchase and the attention to the detail in our special order requests. Took a little longer to receive the camper, some 9 weeks. But otherwise very happy.

Best of luck to you!
Old 03-16-2013, 10:05 PM   #15
Owner/Operator

Laughing at your comment about the louvers on the step breaking. During our PDI on Friday, the service tech caught his heel on the louver and broke it. Replacement has been ordered.

I am thinking that should "I" break one, I'll be looking for metal louvers to replace the composite wood ones.

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #16
Senior Moment

We to have broken a slat in the step vent. (First few days of ownership) I am trying to figure a solution maybe a heavy mesh backing would help. If anyone has found a solution please share.
rockport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #17
Owner/Operator

I just did a quick search, and found a metal return grille that will cover the opening.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_65148-34146-...lle&facetInfo=

Could only find white, but that can be changed. And at $8.08, I'll get several, paint them all, and carry a spare.

While the OEM Grille is 7-1/2 X 19, the cutout on mine is much smaller.

RodeoGeorge
Old 03-17-2013, 09:00 PM   #18
Rockwood 8289WS Diamond

Are you at all concerned with cutting the heel of a person with a metal louver if they get their heel hung on the grille with no shoe on?
Old 03-17-2013, 09:06 PM   #19
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem View Post
Are you at all concerned with cutting the heel of a person with a metal louver if they get their heel hung on the grille with no shoe on?
Might be able to mount the metal grill behind the original wood one to keep slats from breaking.
rockport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:11 PM   #20
Owner/Operator

The OEM Grille is made from a composite material, and the slats break easily. I'm not sure that something behind the OEM Grille will help, as it is the downward pressure that normally breaks them.

As to catching a heel on the metal grille, if the louvers are pointed downward, it would be very difficult to catch your heel.

RodeoGeorge