Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2017, 09:18 AM   #1

Opinions Requested -New to us 2008 8318SS possible Delamination

Hello all,

I have looked around this site and don't see a definitive answer to my question so Im hoping you can assist.

First some background: Over a week ago, we purchased our new to us camper. I thought I had looked it over well and it appeared to be really clean overall. The PO had only owned it for about 3 years and said he had never seen any leaks in the time that he owned it (which should've been my first clue to look deeper). The PO did state that the camper had the roof replaced by the dealer before they bought it. We were thrilled with the prospect of graduating from our pop-up. 11K later and it was ours.

However, this weekend I noticed some small "pimples" on the inside back wall of the camper near the rear bunks. This led me to do to a simple google search and found out that its a sign of a water leak of some kind and I should check the exterior for signs of delamination. Wouldn't ya know it? There was a bulge on the other side of the wall directly below one of the clearance markers that is about dinner-plate sized. Ive searched high and low, inspected all caulking/seams/seals and they all look good (however, some of it looks like it was replaced at some point)

My question is this:
- Is this something that I need to be deeply concerned about? We plan on using the trailer quite a bit in the future and will likely be towing it extensively to visit family in the Midwest. I suspect that the damage has been present for some time.
- Anyone have experience repairing this type of issue? If so, what did you do and what were the costs like?

I feel like I just bought myself an 11K headache. Hopefully someone out there has some good news for me. Click image for larger version

Name:	5F99D488-1459-406A-BAE4-394878002648.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	132288
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:18 AM   #2

Well "007matman".... headaches like this can certainly ruin your day.
So sorry that you didn't see it prior to the purchase.

However, one must be very vigilant when buying a used unit from a private seller and 'also' from a dealer.... you 'can not' just take their word for it.

Water leaks can sometimes be close to where the damage shows or sometimes travel an unusual distance before it will cause damage.

Yours showed up under the marker light, and after checking all the close by seams and caulking you didn't suspect any that might need attention.

I would highly suspect the maker light , look for a good bead of caulking (at least) all around the top portion. Was there any caulking there ?

Factory caulking applicators believe that it is only necessary to apply caulking to the top portion of marker lights... and it usually holds to the same law for around windows , doors, hatches etc. tops as well.
Myself I like to caulk all the way around.... theory is it will stop wind and hose driven water.

Getting back to your problem... again I suspect it may be your marker light, pop off the lens and you will probably notice a dirt build up that may have prevented any water that got in not to be able to drain out.
Further the hole behind the marker light (only visible if you remove the light) for the wire access is usually way larger than needed for a pair of wires .... thus allowing a real good access for water to penetrate and cause delamination.
Also... the screws , if not caulked, are also great little demons to wick in water.

This I know because it happened to me on my side light , the night light for the door . It had no caulking over the top and a 1 inch hole behind it for 2 little wires.

I now do this : all my marker lights (as well as other exterior appendages) are caulked all the way around. It is not advisable to caulk the marker light lens to the light base.... but I apply a piece of (good quality) electrical tape over the top portion (only) of the marker light where the lens meets the base. This will stop any water seeping in via the lens.

Sorry I do not have any experience in the repairs or the cost's.

Sometimes if the leak has been terminated the damage may be arrested and you can either have it repaired at a cost or just live with it.

Hope this helps.

Islander
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:24 AM   #3

Islander,

Yes, there is a really good bead of caulk around the base of the lens. It appears to be in good condition with no cracks or gaps. I did not pop off the lens to see how things are under there. Ill do that tonight and let you know.

It sounds like you have a spot on your camper that is like this? How long has it been that way and how big is it?
Old 03-20-2017, 02:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
Islander,

It sounds like you have a spot on your camper that is like this? How long has it been that way and how big is it?
I bought used (privately) checked it out thoroughly, however, at the time the 2 small spot I saw looked to be screws from the fire extinguisher mount from inside making the outside dimples.
When I got it home I checked further and suspected it to be from the light as I mentioned.

Since I caulked the light (inside and out) there has been "no" further expansion of any delamination.... now over 3 years.
The 2 small spots are still the same... about 2" x 2" . They are 'hard' , not soft so I am confident they are not growing.

Also, it has been suggested to me, that there may be some foreign matter got in there at time of construction causing the bumps and not as I suspected.
Either way... it's not getting any worse, plus, it is only visible when the sunlight hits it a certain way.
I am contemplating getting a decal of some sort to hid it from "my" eyes.

If you push on your delamination spot is it soft or move at all ?

Islander

Islander
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander View Post
I bought used (privately) checked it out thoroughly, however, at the time the 2 small spot I saw looked to be screws from the fire extinguisher mount from inside making the outside dimples.
When I got it home I checked further and suspected it to be from the light as I mentioned.

Since I caulked the light (inside and out) there has been "no" further expansion of any delamination.... now over 3 years.
The 2 small spots are still the same... about 2" x 2" . They are 'hard' , not soft so I am confident they are not growing.

Also, it has been suggested to me, that there may be some foreign matter got in there at time of construction causing the bumps and not as I suspected.
Either way... it's not getting any worse, plus, it is only visible when the sunlight hits it a certain way.
I am contemplating getting a decal of some sort to hid it from "my" eyes.

If you push on your delamination spot is it soft or move at all ?

Islander

Islander
It flexes in maybe about a 16th of an inch (not much). It's solid under that and doesn't feel soft at all. I know that sometimes they get rotten.. I don't think mine is.

It's hard to notice and unless you knew what you were looking for and where to look you wouldn't find it.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:51 PM   #6

Speaking with "he said" information... I don't think there is much you can do. Stop the intrusion and live with it. Once it's done...it's mostly cosmetic. There are procedures for repairing delaminating walls.... Google it.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Speaking with "he said" information... I don't think there is much you can do. Stop the intrusion and live with it. Once it's done...it's mostly cosmetic. There are procedures for repairing delaminating walls.... Google it.
Thanks. I saw a few discussions about it and a few videos some of which seem legit and others that seem hokey. I'm looking for feedback from folks that have dealt with it.

If it's only cosmetic I'll probably just live with it for now.

Thank you.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:47 PM   #8

Check out www.delamrepair.com.
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZNEDY View Post
Thank you! I'll check it out. Have you ever used them?
Old 03-20-2017, 07:27 PM   #10

The bulge on the side can be fixed and is not beyond a DIY with some skills.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
The bulge on the side can be fixed and is not beyond a DIY with some skills.

I'm very handy. Is there a particular product you've used?
Old 03-20-2017, 08:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
I'm very handy. Is there a particular product you've used?
this is just one of many videos on the subject

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delamination