Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2017, 05:49 PM   #1

Ordered a new unit

So, we've ordered a new 8312SS and have absolutely no idea how long it will take to come in. It was ordered the first part of February. The dealer told me they had no way of knowing the progress other than when it shipped. Does this sound right? Wondering what others experience with this has been.
dans and dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:51 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

I think they can tell once yours begins to actually be made, when the vin is assigned.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dans and dogs View Post
So, we've ordered a new 8312SS and have absolutely no idea how long it will take to come in. It was ordered the first part of February. The dealer told me they had no way of knowing the progress other than when it shipped. Does this sound right? Wondering what others experience with this has been.
Your dealer is blowing smoke.

A week or two after the order is officially placed, or less, your dealer can call his Rockwood rep and they can tell him the tentative date of production. Don't let them BS you. The salesman is probably too lazy to want to follow up. You forked over the deposit and the order is done, so he most likely doesn't want bothered with you.

When we ordered ours I knew the production date within 3 days of the order.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:12 PM   #4
Site Team

I'd be worried if your dealer is already lying to you.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:18 PM   #5

I didn't think that what he told me sounded right. We have a trip planned for my daughters spring break and I'm starting to think he just doesn't want to be on the hook if it doesn't come in...
Old 03-26-2017, 06:18 PM   #6

Wonder if a phone call to Forest River would help?
Old 03-26-2017, 06:34 PM   #7

I would guess 9-10 weeks this time of year
Stew_Pudaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:37 PM   #8

Sounds like a bad dealer and bad information. I ordered my new unit from a RV show in December. Dealer had a spec build sheet on the unit and order number at the time of order. Dealer was able to give me a 5 day window on when the unit was going to be built.

Arranged a plant tour for the last day of that 5 day spread. Saw my camper roll off the assembly line being cleaned detailed weighed and vin number assigned. Took one week for delivery after that, then arranged pick up.

Salesman doenst want to pick up the phone to get you the info. My salesman was on the phone with the plant rep to arrange every last thing for me.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:57 PM   #9

Quote:
I didn't think that what he told me sounded right. We have a trip planned for my daughters spring break and I'm starting to think he just doesn't want to be on the hook if it doesn't come in...
I wouldn't have planned a trip that close to my order date. I ordered my Mini Lite Feb 28 (2015) and it came in the 3rd week in May (2015) - about 10 weeks. Picked it up June 6th, 2015. They build a number of the same model at a time, so you can't really count on getting one much sooner than 10 weeks, although it does happen sometimes.

Good luck.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 04:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
I wouldn't have planned a trip that close to my order date. I ordered my Mini Lite Feb 28 (2015) and it came in the 3rd week in May (2015) - about 10 weeks. Picked it up June 6th, 2015. They build a number of the same model at a time, so you can't really count on getting one much sooner than 10 weeks, although it does happen sometimes.

Good luck.
I think I would call the dealer/salesman and lay it down even if not serious. "If you do not get me a tentative production date by the end of the week I'll be over to cancel the order and get my deposit". Then I would call Rockwood.

As noted above they build them in runs of the same units. Your chances of getting it quicker are higher if it's a popular floor plan with high sales numbers.

Just as an example. We ordered a Roo 23WS on 10-23-15 And it arrived at the dealer on 12-4-15, it was 6 weeks to the day. That particular unit was a total piece of crap and had over $5K's worth of warranty repairs approved and we had yet to sign on the line. By Feb Rockwood was stillbdropping the ball getting parts to the dealer so I pulled the plug and rejected that unit and made them order another. The order for the second was placed 2-23-16 and it arrived at the dealer 4-15-16......the 2nd took 8 weeks. How your dealer handles the shipping can have a lot to do with the timeframe also. My dealer sent his own people out to pick up ours so it arrived at the dealer one day after production.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:39 AM   #11

Quote:
This time of year at least 10-12 weeks is normal depending on when your unit model type is being run. Then the shipping company can hold things up another week or so. We were not able to find out when our unit was being run until a couple of weeks before. Our issue was with the wholesale dealer salesman at the plant.

I know others do not agree but you dealer may be telling you the truth.......

Good Luck.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:01 AM   #12

Thanks for all the responses. I was really hoping that my dealer (the manager actually) was on the up and up. This is the second unit we've bought from this dealership and I felt like he was a straight up guy. Think I'll do some digging with Rockwood today. I have a copy of the build sheet and just noticed a phone number and fax number on the top of the page. I'll keep you posted.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:52 PM   #13

Didn't buy from that dealer or FR for that reason. We agreed on the price 3/6/16, order confirmed 3/26, build date/VIN 4/21 from dealer, QC 4/22, release 4/25, ship 4/29, arrived at dealer 5/5, dealer QC and slide toppers installed - no cost, we picked up 5/23 and stayed at dealer provided site on premises to check everything out, left 5/24 a very happy camper. The dealer and manufacturer both communicated time frame and any changes, hit the jackpot - one button leveling was added as a promotion. This was done by email/phone and $500 less than anyone 4.5 hours away.