Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2013, 08:01 AM   #1

Ordered RV and Truck

Hello again Forum.
I joined the forum a while back and have been mostly reading and researching while only asking a couple of general questions. However, I ordered my truck (2014 Ford 250) two weeks ago and order my RV (2014 Rockwood 5th wheel 8280WS) this week. Both should be in around the first of November. I figure I'll have plenty of questions since the only camping I've done was tent camping about 35 years ago. I promise to try to research previous postings before asking questions so as to not waste your time and effort. Thanks in advance.

My plan is to move into the RV in December, retire next April and hit the road fulltime the first of May. I'll come back to visit the kids/grandkids around Thanksgiving before hitting the road again until the next Thanksgiving. I look forward to this new Adventure and plan to continue it until I either physically can't do it anymore or I want to settle down again.
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:41 AM   #2

Sounds great / enjoy the heck out of your new adventure! You may want to inquire about a break in period on the truck prior to towing.

Be safe in your travels.
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:49 AM   #3
Denver, CO

Great choice and well matched to your new truck, I'm sure you will have a blast....
Old 09-15-2013, 10:05 AM   #4

Congrats on the new rig.

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
Hello again Forum.
I joined the forum a while back and have been mostly reading and researching while only asking a couple of general questions. However, I ordered my truck (2014 Ford 250) two weeks ago and order my RV (2014 Rockwood 5th wheel 8280WS) this week. Both should be in around the first of November. I figure I'll have plenty of questions since the only camping I've done was tent camping about 35 years ago. I promise to try to research previous postings before asking questions so as to not waste your time and effort. Thanks in advance.

My plan is to move into the RV in December, retire next April and hit the road fulltime the first of May. I'll come back to visit the kids/grandkids around Thanksgiving before hitting the road again until the next Thanksgiving. I look forward to this new Adventure and plan to continue it until I either physically can't do it anymore or I want to settle down again.
You have just made 2 good choices already in my opinion you are well on the way. Remember only dumb question is the one you didn't ask congrads on your new units and.from Southside Virginia, great camping in this part of the state.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:49 AM   #6

Hook it up and drive it like ya stole it. It'll be broke in soon enough, them Fords are tough. New Fords come into our fleet and are run hard and fast from the get go. Just follow the recommended maintenance schedule. Remember road miles at hiway speed and a load are better than unloaded stop and go around town.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #7

I picked it up today. It pulled great. I was disappointed with the dealer though. They were totally unaware of the Reese Revolution Hitch or how to set it up. They said they could do after they studied up a little bit. I got a bad vib and told them I would take care of it. Other than that, they were great.

Question:
They said the on/off switch in the hot water compartment was to switch between gas and electric. Is that true? Also, does the hot water heater switch on the control panel in the trailer just turn the hot water heater on and off no matter if gas or electric is being used? They recommended keeping it always on gas even when connected to shore power. When I asked why, they didn't give a good answer.

Lots to learn.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV day 1.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	42418  
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #8
Now a "Top Member"

The hot water switch in the compartment isn't necessarily to "switch" between gas and electric, though I suppose technically that's what it does. You should use electric when you aren't using much hot water. Turn on the gas to heat the water quicker, since gas heats the water faster. We always shower in the morning, so we turn the gas on then to ensure we have enough hot water for the two of us. We've never had a problem yet.

Very nice looking rig by the way. Enjoy it!
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Question:
They said the on/off switch in the hot water compartment was to switch between gas and electric. Is that true? Also, does the hot water heater switch on the control panel in the trailer just turn the hot water heater on and off no matter if gas or electric is being used? They recommended keeping it always on gas even when connected to shore power. When I asked why, they didn't give a good answer.

Lots to learn.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to assume that your water heater is a Suburban and your set up is like my Surveyor. The on/off switch inside the outside compartment is set to on for electric operation. The switch inside is for gas power. Most people when hooked up to electric do not use gas and turn the electric power on from the outside compartment. Why use gas when you are already paying for the electricity. It sounds like the dealer knows as much about Reese Revolution hitches as they do about electric water heaters. There is no reason to leave the gas power on when hooked up to electricity unless you need hot water really fast. By the way, DO NOT turn that outside switch on until you have water in the heater. If you have no water you'll burn out the element within a few minutes. Congratulations on your purchase. It looks great!!!

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #10

water heater

hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FAQ.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	42446  
2OLDDIGGERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #11
Paul & Sheri

There is nothing I don't like about my Rockwood. The hitch will take a little practice but you'll get the hang of it. Good match with the truck too. My F150 ecoboost is well suited.

You'll find it comfortable and that it tows extremely well.

Have fun
2004 T@B T-16
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
truck