Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2008, 05:11 PM   #1

Ordering Rockwood 2304s Monday - Advice on the deal please?

So after what has seemed an eternity, I have finally made a decision on what will by my first TT. The winner being a new Rockwood 2304s, custom ordered just as desired, and the paperwork is to be signed Monday. Before making the final committment, I was hoping those who have purchased the same model could advise on whether I am getting a good deal or not. I have checked both RV Wholesalers and RV Direct and the dealer offered price is right in between the two so I feel that's a good sign, but I always like to get the advice of actual RV users.

Here are the details of the TT to be ordered.

2008 Rockwood 2304s with the following options: Heated holding tanks, Stainless Steel Package with Cream Interior, Power front jack, Tinted safety windows, Storm windows, Gas over, Microwave, Double fridge, Gas/electric heater, 13.5k Ducted AC, Awning, Spare tire, Day/night shades, Aluminum wheels, Outside speaker, Slide topper, Ladder, Min. carpet and then all of the standard "options" Rockwood gives you.

I also have the dealer installing an Equilizer and the Prodigy brake control.

Total price out the door (before VA state tax): $18,500.

Is this a good deal? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated, both on price and on what I plan to order. Thanks in advance.
greendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:26 PM   #2
Cyber Phrenologist

The deal is pretty good.

What I would do is start saving up "stuff" to go in the trailer when it gets here. Dishes, pots and pans, linens, tools and all that. What I couldn't find around the house I'd hit the thrift stores, Big Lots, yard sales.

Only then would I hit Wal-mart, and finally Camping World and other RV stores. Often better deals can be had besides RV shops. Like the off brand "buddy heater" I picked up at Home Depot for $35, saved $50 off the CW sale price.

You can save a lot of money, taking your time while you wait for the trailer to arrive. I have a growing pile of stuff in my basement, and we won't even order our trailer until fall!

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:35 PM   #3

I see you are from Virginia as am I. Congratulations on the new Rockwood. If you are close to the prices from the on-line guys, you did well plus have local dealer who will hopefully take care of problems that might arise. Just curious, which dealer are you getting it from?

As Radio said, collect stuff you are not using in the house to use in the trailer before going out to buy it. Avoid Camping World unless you cannot find equal items elsewhere. They are the highest place around for RV supplies. Some things you may not be able to find elsewhere but try to limit what you get from them.

Don't go overboard though on loading the trailer though. We loaded our first trailer with everything but the kitchen sink. It already had that. (lol). Turned out we rarely used most of it. When we got the current Flagstaff, we completely unloaded the old trailer and left everything in the middle of the basement floor. When we loaded up the new trailer, we picked what we regularly used and occasionally used and put it on board. A whole pile of stuff went to the local thrift shop because we had never used it in two previous trailers. So think carefully when stocking your new baby. You may be surprised at the stuff you don't need.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:05 PM   #4

We are ordering the Rockwood through Snyders RV in Salem. We are in Richmond, and though they aren't the closest, they seemed to work with us the best.
greendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:13 PM   #5

I didn't know Snyder's had started carrying the Rockwood line. Shelor in Christiansburg did have it. It would have been interesting to see what R.B. Taylor here in Lynchburg would have done for you for the Flagstaff version of your choice. He beat the pants off of Shelor when we compared our Flagstaff 26RKS to the Rockwood 2605.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:04 PM   #6
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehall View Post
Avoid Camping World unless you cannot find equal items elsewhere. They are the highest place around for RV supplies

<<snip>>

So think carefully when stocking your new baby. You may be surprised at the stuff you don't need.
The good thing about Camping World is they have just about everything (good selection) and they can get it right to your door with reasonably good service. But you pay more for that.

I harken back to my backpacking days. When our trailer arrives, I imagine some of the things in my "pile of stuff" will not make it into the trailer. I do like to travel light.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:04 PM   #7

We have a 2304 and love it, great trailer

Norm

Capn Courage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2304, rockwood