Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2017, 01:27 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie70 View Post
That looks exactly like the interior light bulb for my wife's car. Not sure what it would have came out of in there??
I found it rattling around in one of the refrigerator shelves when I got it home from the dealer, but it sure doesn't look like it belongs anywhere in there.
bradyfumbled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 01:39 PM   #22

It's the fridge light bulb.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 01:39 PM   #23

Slide the cover off, to the rear.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
Slide the cover off, to the rear.
Hmm, I'll check again. I slid the cover off the light and there was what appeared to be an LED strip in there so I didn't try to fit this bulb. I didn't have the power on so I couldn't actually see it light up, I'll fiddle with it. Obviously it's a light bulb so that was the first place I looked, but it didn't appear at first glace that it wanted to fit.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:10 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyfumbled View Post
By the way, I am assuming that the dinette dead space is a precaution to keep things a certain distance from that heater air hose, probably not the best place to store old newspaper and spare propane bottles....

That black plastic box right there on top of the heater vent hose is the propane hose for the outside grill
40twist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:06 PM   #26

Quote:
I found it rattling around in one of the refrigerator shelves when I got it home from the dealer, but it sure doesn't look like it belongs anywhere in there.
Quote:
It's the fridge light bulb.
Your fridge light is PROBABLY in parallel with a door heater that prevents condensation buildup around the door. Check the wiring diagram on the back of your fridge. Should look like this one:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fridge schematic 2.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	223.3 KB
ID:	138276

The light and switch are items G & H and the door heater is item K in the lower left side.

People that boondock a lot usually disconnect the heater. I've attached a document showing how to do this. But what I'm really attaching it for is so you can see what the incandescent style bulb looks like. It's in the 2nd pic on page 2.

Seems like someone changed out your incandescent light for the LED, but left the bulb rolling around in the fridge.

BTW, if you want to kill the door heater and don't mind losing the use of the light, you can simply pull the wire off J2 to kill both the door heater and the light.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Refer door heater switch mod.pdf (345.8 KB, 29 views)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:53 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Seems like someone changed out your incandescent light for the LED, but left the bulb rolling around in the fridge.

Looks like that is exactly what happened. I powered it up last night, the LED light comes on when the door opens, I held this bulb up to it and the bulb actually turned on in my hand when I touched it to the connections holding the LED. Looks to be a spare incandescent bulb just rattling around, I'll stash it somewhere in case I ever want it. Thanks for the help.

Taking the rig out to a small local campground for a one night "shakedown" tonight. Small boring little place 15 minutes away with full hookups, perfect for a trial run.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1550.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	138489Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1086.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	138490
Old 05-22-2017, 07:56 AM   #28

I want an led fridge light too!
Old 05-22-2017, 09:31 AM   #29

Quote:
I want an led fridge light too!

If you'll remove the bulb and take it to a chain-type parts store, I bet you can get a replacement off the shelf.

The last time was in one, I noticed that they have started carrying a pretty extensive line of them.
53flattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 03:23 PM   #30

Well, all went well during our one-night "trial run" this weekend, no major problems and I'll me a lot more confident going into a longer trip. Couple of notes:

-There is a design flaw with the attachable outside grill setup. If it goes on the right-hand side of the attachment slot (table on the left), the attached propane hose will not reach. If it goes on the left side, the mounting brackets lean directly on the outside power outlet and the propane hose housing itself. I ended up putting it somewhere near the middle, and the hose juuuuust reached, but the side table did not have room to attach properly. I need to get under the dinette booth again to see if I can coax another foot or so out of the propane hose.

-I could not get the cable TV to work. A quick search on this forum shows this is a common problem, I'll fidget with it next time we camp with hookups. I did not check with any fellow campers so I can't say for sure that the problem wasn't on the campground side.

-The oven produced quite a bit of smoke when I first fired it up. It quickly subsided and worked fine after a few minutes, so I'm just going to assume that "stuff" from manufacturing was burning off during the first use. On the plus side, I now can say with certainty that my smoke alarm works.

-The mattress was not as awful as I anticipated, but after one night on it we definitely agreed to get a topper to upgrade it. I'm hoping to get a regular-queen topper in hopes that the 6-inch overlap will help close that pesky gap at the head where pillows like to fall. If it proves to be a problem closing the murphy bed I'll hack off 6 inches with an electric knife as many threads suggest.

All in all pretty thrilled with the first trip, it was 90+ degrees here in Southern California so we spent a lot of time inside organizing closets and drawers while putting that A/C unit to the test. No major modifications yet but the ideas are flowing, thanks for all the help on this forum. Cheers.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:21 PM   #31

Quote:
Well, all went well during our one-night "trial run" this weekend, no major problems and I'll me a lot more confident going into a longer trip. Couple of notes:

-There is a design flaw with the attachable outside grill setup. If it goes on the right-hand side of the attachment slot (table on the left), the attached propane hose will not reach. If it goes on the left side, the mounting brackets lean directly on the outside power outlet and the propane hose housing itself. I ended up putting it somewhere near the middle, and the hose juuuuust reached, but the side table did not have room to attach properly. I need to get under the dinette booth again to see if I can coax another foot or so out of the propane hose.

-I could not get the cable TV to work. A quick search on this forum shows this is a common problem, I'll fidget with it next time we camp with hookups. I did not check with any fellow campers so I can't say for sure that the problem wasn't on the campground side.

-The oven produced quite a bit of smoke when I first fired it up. It quickly subsided and worked fine after a few minutes, so I'm just going to assume that "stuff" from manufacturing was burning off during the first use. On the plus side, I now can say with certainty that my smoke alarm works.

-The mattress was not as awful as I anticipated, but after one night on it we definitely agreed to get a topper to upgrade it. I'm hoping to get a regular-queen topper in hopes that the 6-inch overlap will help close that pesky gap at the head where pillows like to fall. If it proves to be a problem closing the murphy bed I'll hack off 6 inches with an electric knife as many threads suggest.

All in all pretty thrilled with the first trip, it was 90+ degrees here in Southern California so we spent a lot of time inside organizing closets and drawers while putting that A/C unit to the test. No major modifications yet but the ideas are flowing, thanks for all the help on this forum. Cheers.
To use cable, you have to turn the amplifier OFF. Look for the LITTLE TINY SWITCH where the LED is located.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:32 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
To use cable, you have to turn the amplifier OFF. Look for the LITTLE TINY SWITCH where the LED is located.
Yep, tried that. Had the opposite problem when I tried to get some channels in my driveway with the antenna a week prior, so I knew to turn that switch back off.

Had that off to begin with, switched the tv over to "cable" instead of "air," ran a channel search which took a good 5-10 minutes, then when it was done it told me to "run a channel search" which of course I had just done. Tried it 3 times, then gave up and moved on. I'll do a little more trouble shooting next time I plug it in at a campground with cable, like I say I'm not entirely convinced that the problem wasn't on the campground side in this particular case, but I didn't think to ask a neighbor.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:35 PM   #33

I don't have those grill issues on mine. I can use far left or right. I am betting you have more hose up inside to get out yet. Oh and don't forget to open the vent door on the outside for the range vent. Glad it was a good trip , have fun on the next one.
40twist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:44 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40twist View Post
I don't have those grill issues on mine. I can use far left or right. I am betting you have more hose up inside to get out yet. Oh and don't forget to open the vent door on the outside for the range vent. Glad it was a good trip , have fun on the next one.
Hey thanks. Yeah I'm hoping you're right about the propane hose, I gave it a good tug but I'll have to get under that dinette bench again to see if I can get a bit extra to come out. Otherwise it was a silly over site by someone on the assembly line and they shorted me a foot or two

An outside door for the range vent hood is news to me, definitely have to look at that, thanks for the advice! We cranked it up when the oven started smoking, but obviously it wouldn't have done much if there's an outside door on that sucker, oops...
Old 05-22-2017, 09:31 PM   #35

On our Murphy bed I solved the "pillow and small grandson in the black hole at the head of the bed" problem by removing the 3 inch board that stops the mattress from sliding down when the bed is raised with a 12" wide shelf board from Menards. Solid wood not particle board. At that time I also put in 4 extra brackets to hold the new "headboard" in addition to using the mount brackets used on the original 3 inch board. Works like a charm, when the bed is down there is about a 1 1/2 inch gap between the top of the new board and the front of the trailer. I can't take any credit for this idea,I read about it here. I can post pics if you want. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:00 PM   #36

A normal topper works fine. There is no 6" too much, maybe a couple inches. I just added one from Amazon on Friday, and we like it.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:06 PM   #37

Quote:
A normal topper works fine. There is no 6" too much, maybe a couple inches. I just added one from Amazon on Friday, and we like it.

Great to hear. I was going to pick one up at Costco, but I love the peace of mind of being able to read reviews on Amazon so I'll likely do exactly what you did. Cheers.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:08 PM   #38

Hypoallergenic Polyester Down Alternative Fiber Bed Mattress Topper, Queen https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015N3BQM4..._6dYhf5XGIzZvO
Old 05-22-2017, 10:38 PM   #39

Quote:
Hypoallergenic Polyester Down Alternative Fiber Bed Mattress Topper, Queen https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015N3BQM4..._6dYhf5XGIzZvO

Well that's an intriguing alternative to the memory foam toppers I see so many people using. Cheaper and lighter too, I like that. Thanks for the tip.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:45 PM   #40

Don't like memory foam. Just a soft and warm option

Tags