Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2016, 06:52 PM   #1

Outdoor kitchen door problems

Anyone have a problem with the brackets on the stabilizers? One of mine ripped out of the door. I cannot for the life of me remember anything happening that would have caused this. I opened the kitchen door to inspect before a camping trip and the door sagged a little on that side. The stabilizer bracket on the left side had ripped out. It looks like the door has separated internally. I don't know anything about the construction, but imagine the door is styrofoam covered by a laminate with wood on either side to hold the brackets. The wood appears to be some kind of manufactured wood based on what the remnants in the screws appeared to be.
This ever happened to anyone out there? This trailer is only 3 years old. I bought it new and it stays under a cover until used. We use it twice a year. Seems an awful short time for a failure of this kind.
jimex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:11 PM   #2

Just saw this post... I had the exact same problem with my outside kitchen "door"... The hinge that connects to the door itself pulled out...this occurred after it was adjusted at the dealership...not exactly sure what happened
Illinoisfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:24 AM   #3

Outside kitchen door issues as well

I have a coachman 310 BHDS Freedom express and I have the same issue. It appears that the screws are under a lot of stress, due to door weight and pressure from the gas strut. I placed construction adhesive inside the screw holes and added a 4 inch piece of wood trim under the hinge and placed larger screw's in the hinge assembly. It is doing well now but only had it attached for 2 trips so far. If it fails I will place stainless steel carrier bolt threw the out door and run them through to attach to the hinge. The stainless will not rust and it gives a nice clean look. The problem will not happen again after that. Good luck with your problem. . I put the wood trim to spread out the pressure on the screws and gas strut area. P.S. happy camping.
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 11:12 AM   #4

Outdoor kitchen door

I went a little further and installed a stainless steel plate on the inside of the door. I attached it with stainless machine screws with washers on the outside. Then attached the strut to the plate. Not real crazy about it, but it looks ok. These doors are fabricated with what appears to be stranded plywood in the edges. The middle is all styrofoam to keep weight down. The problem is that the struts overcome the bond between the stranded plywood and the fiberglass covering of the door. This causes the door to flex a little as it closes. The flexing causes leaks to begin at the edges. It appears that my door got moisture internally and broke down the stranded plywood and the screws pulled out. The plywood is saturated. Treated plywood instead of stranded plywood would have been a much better choice I believe.
jimex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 11:25 AM   #5
Site Team

I noticed that the door on my FE outdoor kitchen is very sensitive to how it is closed. It is important to pull down on the center of the bottom and make sure the door closes evenly or it puts excessive strain on the struts on one side.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 12:37 AM   #6

Thumbs down Kitchen door disaster

You won't believe this problem! Drove our 2015 Sunseeker to Ford dealer to have the recent emissions test performed. A young tech drove it into garage while I chatted with service manager. A loud noise prompted her to check shop. My coach was mostly pulled in. The kitchen door was pulled back, bending the awning support and literally pulling rear panel away along right seam, exposing screws. Extensive damage for a simple emissions test.
We figured the door latches were not closed, and door popped up. However, I have never seen this double strutted door pop up. Plus I drove 11 miles at highway speed, Crossing railroad tracks to the dealer. Door was hanging flat after I parked at Ford shop. Why did the 6' door pop up and cause damage as the tech drove on smooth surface into garage, with almost two feet clearance on either side? At 5 mph tops?? I am chagrined. And perhaps paying a huge deductible.
Looking at stars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door