Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2011, 02:33 PM   #1

outdoor kitchen --- stove LP connection 8317RKSS

Not sure if this only applies to the 8317RKSS or not, but wondering why they made it so you need to connect and disconnect the LP every time you use the outdoor stove? Not only that, but the connection is beneath the trailer and you pretty much need to sit on the ground to do it. Not much fun after rain, or depending on the ground cover!

Does anyone know (a) why there isn't a permanent connection, or (b) barring that, why did they put the connection in such a difficult spot?

Also, wondering if this is the same in the US as it is in Canada... I believe they made some other mods to comply with CSA standards.

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

P.S. I should add that I'm not (overly!) lazy, but rather I have a back injury.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:57 PM   #2
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Maybe having the connection outside is some sort of safety thing to prevent accidental gas discharge into the trailer. Or perhaps so you could also hook up a grill, if you have one. The skeptical side of me would say that it is so that FR can use standard parts without having to do any fancy plumbing.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:05 PM   #3

Yes, I've tried to rationalize it as a safety issue too, but couldn't make sense of it given the permanent connections to the interior stove, heater, and fridge.

As far as the multi-use idea goes, there is another connection (beyond reach of the stove's hose) further up the trailer wall for the RVQ.

Appreciate the thoughts though!

Afterthought: Perhaps the safety issue stems from the fact that you need to swing/extend the stove in and out when you use it and they worry the hose would be subjected to rubbing/pinching etc??? If that is the case, doesn't explain why they didn't make the connection in a more convenient spot though!
Old 08-25-2011, 05:10 PM   #4

Our outdoor kitchen on the Salem has the cooktop port for the propane under the trailer and has to be disconnected when you want to slide the cooktop in.When we asked the dealer about it he said that it was indeed a safty feature and had to be that way because the kitchen is isolated from the rest of the trailer and if the outside hatch was closed you may not know you had a gas leak until something serious happened.It is a bit of a pain to have to hook up and unhook the propane line when you want to use the cooktop but if it saves you from getting gassed or having an explosion it is worth it.
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Malco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:28 AM   #5

Also, there are not any gas detectors in the area of the outside kitchen.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:32 PM   #6

This connection had me perplexed as well. I like the idea of having to disconnect to be sure that there is no potential for a gas leak. Also i have been wanting to use to use it to connect other cookers like a smoker. Did you also have trouble with the gas strut that holds the stove out? Mine worked its way loose. I just took it off altogether might reinstall it in the summer. Inspite of the above I LOVE that outdoor kitchen!
Enjoy!
99 Suburban K2500
ramlenonnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:38 PM   #7

I permanently connect the hose to the stove. It was a difficult connection to make, for some reason, and i was worried that eventually, I would snap the tube on the stove side. It was easy to do - remove the stove (mine had drawer hardwear, and you pulled it out like you were pulling out a drawer) then I removed a part of the stove connector, and part of the hose connector, leaving threaded connectors that connected together , and connected them from there. I used something like plumbers tape, but it is designed for gas connectors (yellow tape) When I push in the stove, there is plenty of room for hose. My connection to the trailer is quite easy to make.

I have a primetime lacrosse - YMMV.
Laura is offline   Reply With Quote