Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2015, 03:47 PM   #1

overheated lite fixture

2304s just happened to touch 3 lite fixture over dining nook.. it was smokin hot. Took cover off fixture to find all 3 halogen bulbs black and blistered but still on. Why wud breaker not trip. Bought 3 new led bulbs, but hesitate to replace if something wrong with fixture, at almost 20 bucks a pop do not want to burn leds out. I checked wiring and it appears fine.
HELP!!!!
flugelboneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:56 PM   #2

I might be wrong due to the information given to me years ago so a look see might be helpful.

When installing halogen bulbs you do NOT want to touch them with bare fingers because of the oil in/on your skin.

I was told this will cause them to overheat and burn out prematurely.

Not sure if it is what caused your problem so you may want to look into it.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flugelboneman View Post
2304s just happened to touch 3 lite fixture over dining nook.. it was smokin hot. Took cover off fixture to find all 3 halogen bulbs black and blistered but still on. Why wud breaker not trip. Bought 3 new led bulbs, but hesitate to replace if something wrong with fixture, at almost 20 bucks a pop do not want to burn leds out. I checked wiring and it appears fine.
HELP!!!!
LED lights will only use as much power as they are rated for which is about 10% or less what you are using with halogen. No comparison between the two. LED is the only way to go and I would advise everyone to replace every light in their units. The electrical usage is only a fraction of standard bulb and they will probably outlast you. Safety is also an issue as they don't get anywhere near as hot.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 04:24 PM   #4

flugelboneman, those bulbs do get hot/black under normal usage. I would, if you can check the voltage at that particular light, I think you'll find its normal.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:29 PM   #5

Go online to M4Products.com for l.e.d. lights. They had the best prices at the time and quick delivery. I changed out all my interior and exterior bulbs to l.e.d. The interior bulbs (5050 SMD Cool Bright White Light Bulb with Wedge Base) cost me approx $9 each. They list for $9.99 each but if you buy 10 bulbs, they give you a 10% discount. Hope this helps.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 04:56 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Halogen lights by nature get very hot. Finger prints on them will cause them to burn out, not get hotter. 3 in a fixture is just not a wise move. LEDs should be much, much cooler.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcamper47 View Post
Go online to M4Products.com for l.e.d. lights. They had the best prices at the time and quick delivery. I changed out all my interior and exterior bulbs to l.e.d. The interior bulbs (5050 SMD Cool Bright White Light Bulb with Wedge Base) cost me approx $9 each. They list for $9.99 each but if you buy 10 bulbs, they give you a 10% discount. Hope this helps.

Bob
Wow, $9 each! Those must be some amazing LEDs. My bulbs are a slightly different (921) but I got 20 of them for $42 on Amazon. I have 18 fixtures so that would have been $162 through that web site, good grief.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote