Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2014, 10:15 AM   #1

parts supply?

I had a bit of an 'economic shock' yesterday.
I'd asked the local RV dealer, the one where we purchased our 8280WS to get me some silicone to fix a crack between the counter and wall in the kitchen. The silicone is a specific colour and I was having a hard time finding it. That was some time ago and I just got a call saying it was in... great!

I picked it up yesterday and discovered the cost to be $40.32!!! for one tube of silicone???? Well actually the silicone cost $10.00 but there was a $30.00 shipping charge!? REALLY!?
I haven't tried the silicone yet, it better be the right colour!

My question is, "where can I get these sort of parts without having to pay the ridiculous shipping charge?"
I know it's expensive to have stuff shipped from the States to Canada but I live within 30 minutes of the border and could easily go south to get this kind of stuff (especially if I'd save $30)

I'm going to need some other coloured silicone for the outside of the trailer and I've asked the parts guy at the dealer to look into a plastic piece I need to fix some tire blowout damage.

So, is it possible to order parts directly from Rockwood (Forest River)? or does anyone have a good solution to this?

Thanks in advance.
cachencouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:01 AM   #2

Firsr of all, are you sure it's "silicon" caulk you need, and not a simple latex based caulk. You do not want to use silicon unless that was what originally there. Once silicon caulk is used, it's a pain to remove, and nothing will stick to it. If you dig a bit you will find posts about owners trying to remove old silicon and what a pain in the arse it is to remove.
You never want to use a silicon based caulk on the exterior, for the same reason, plus it really dosen't seal that well. For anything on the exterior use Dicor Lap Sealant which is a regular caulk for verticle surfaces, and Dicor Self Leveling Sealant for flat surfaces like roof vents.
If what is there originally is silicone, than that's a different story--use similar to replace it. As for the interior, many latex base caulks come in colors. Just check your local Lowes, Home Depot, or even Amazon. And, the stuff is cheap. A tube of almond colored bathroom caulk runs about $4-$5 bucks. and was enough to completly seal my shower.
I won't let a tube of silicon caulk come within 50 feet of my rv.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:11 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply.
Perhaps I was incorrect calling it silicone, I really don't know what it is, all I asked the 'parts guy' was the same stuff that was used at the factory.

What I got is made by a company called Geocel, which their website says is "A Business Unit of The Sherwin-Williams Company" and it's made in Elkhart, IN (surprise). It's called 2300 MHRV Vehicle Body Sealant, I can't remember the name of the colour and it's not printed on the tube, but it should be a tan/orange colour. It says it contains "Tetrachloroethylene, Light Aromatic Hydrocarbons and 1,2,4-Trimethylbenzene"... I don't know if that means silicone or not...

I know what you mean about silicone being a pain in the butt to remove but is that's what they used at the factory, I guess I have to use it too.

I wonder if I could get a list of the 'official' colour names they used on the trailer so I could order them from this place direct... humm...
cachencouple is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parts