Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2016, 08:58 PM   #1
Riverss

PI HW50C install

today was a milestone for me. two days ago i received the HW50C that i ordered and and really struggled with this decision be cause of my age and handy cap. i have been resurrecting every link, article, blip, etc on these forums on installing the hard wired unit. what it all boiled down to is that 6 Gage wire is a bear to work with in tight places and there is nothing but tight places in a 5th wheel. all of my previous endeavors have been with class A motor homes with basement compartments. not so now. So there are many differences between all travel trailers and 5 Th wheels but the one common denominator is there is little room to get where you need to get to do the mods that you feel important and this is one of them. in our rockwood 8299BS the electrical CB panel is located in the stair area between the lower living and upper bedroom / bathroom. after removing the housing that holds all of the CB and fuses and removing a louvered panel in the pantry/kitchen and a false door in the bathroom i found a place to mount this unit. thank goodness that some where i read that Lowe's/home depot sells a 6 GA 50 amp kitchen stove appliance cord that is 6 feet long. this is a life saver for any one that is going to do this. i cut the plug that came with it off. it is so much easier to manipulate into the tight places that you need to access. i removed the power wires from the CB ,neutral and safety ground pulled them down to the area below the drawers in the kitchen pantry and had enough wire to be able to hook up the HW50C in my (almost) lap and then position it all back into the area behind the louvered panel and under the drawer. I mounted the display panel on the wall by other switches and electrical outlets. the most amazing thing is that when i plugged the shore power back in there was no smoke and the clock on the microwave came on.the remote display did its readouts and told me all is good yea!!! i want to thank all of you on this forum for being so helpful and sharing your expertise an knowledge. we are a big happy family for sure
Basenji back seat copilot named Lilly
riverss is offline   Reply With Quote