Old 07-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #1

Pics wanted: 2306 with Murphy bed

Good afternoon,

I am looking buy a 2306 with a murphy bed. Unfortunately, I can't find a single one for sale in Ontario that I can look at in person.....

I am concerned with the amount of storage remaining at the front of the trailer on each side, as there is no pass thru because of the murphy bed. Also concerned with the amount of storage under the bunks as I've read that the water heater resides there on the murphy bed models.

Do any of the 2306 Murphy bed owners have pics of these areas that they could post for me? Or know where I can find more info on it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 07-20-2012, 10:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Good afternoon,

I am looking buy a 2306 with a murphy bed. Unfortunately, I can't find a single one for sale in Ontario that I can look at in person.....

I am concerned with the amount of storage remaining at the front of the trailer on each side, as there is no pass thru because of the murphy bed. Also concerned with the amount of storage under the bunks as I've read that the water heater resides there on the murphy bed models.

Do any of the 2306 Murphy bed owners have pics of these areas that they could post for me? Or know where I can find more info on it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If I check the forum earlier today and saw your post then I would have been more then glad to help you. We were at our local RV dealer this afternoon looking around at new rig. The dealer had three campers on the lot with murphy beds, but we did not look at them.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #3

2012 Rockwood 2306

The front compartments are at the floor are about 22 1/2" wide, 14 3/4" deep and 26" high.

The compartment under the bed is 36" wide, 25 1/2" deep and 18" high. The door is not 18" high.

The water heater and water filter are behind a divider. I haven't removed the divider but it looks like there may be space back there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2306 001.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	16878   Click image for larger version

Name:	2306 002.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	16879   Click image for larger version

Name:	2306 003.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	16880   Click image for larger version

Name:	2306 004.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	16881   Click image for larger version

Name:	2306 005.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	16882  

2013 Nights Camping (10) Reserved (7)
hjmiberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:46 PM   #4

hjmiberry's measurements are right. The storage under the bunks is the larger 36" wide one. I actually had to crawl through there a couple times when we broke the lock on our entry door. It's a real tight fit but I did it. Anyway, we use that space to store our kids clothes so that leaves only the front two storage bays for the electric cords, tools, and all of the other needed junk. One thing to remember is there is storage under the sofa. You can lift the seat halfway and store a bunch of stuff under it and behind it. I store a 2nd water hose and a bunch of water jugs for filling our fresh water tank. There's actually a lot of room under there but you need to get to it from the inside.

Also to help organize the front two storage areas, I cut some peg board and mounted it. It makes finding things like small propane tanks, tools, water regulators, and electrical adapters a breeze. My unit is in storage right now or I would snap some pics for you.
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #5

We originally looked at the Flagstaff 23LB, which is the same as the 2306.
When we looked at the murphy bed option, my wife loved it, but i was concerned about the storage.

We just went camping for a week and storage seems adequate.

We store 2 4' tables and 5 camping chair under and behind the couch. The whole front of the couch comes off so you can slide stuff under the couch.
2013 Nights Camping (10) Reserved (7)
hjmiberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjmiberry View Post
The front compartments are at the floor are about 22 1/2" wide, 14 3/4" deep and 26" high.

The compartment under the bed is 36" wide, 25 1/2" deep and 18" high. The door is not 18" high.

The water heater and water filter are behind a divider. I haven't removed the divider but it looks like there may be space back there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjmiberry View Post
We originally looked at the Flagstaff 23LB, which is the same as the 2306.
When we looked at the murphy bed option, my wife loved it, but i was concerned about the storage.

We just went camping for a week and storage seems adequate.

We store 2 4' tables and 5 camping chair under and behind the couch. The whole front of the couch comes off so you can slide stuff under the couch.
Thanks hjmiberry,
This is great info. Thanks so much for the pics. Storage is definitely lost by choosing the murphy bed option, but seems adequate if you are creative.
I'm curious though.....Why is the storage under the bunk only 18" high when the bunk height looks to be about 30"+? What else is under that end? I found this pic that has storage under the bunk, but no water heater etc.....Is there something else that eats up the space under there?

Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	16920  
Old 07-23-2012, 09:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkaccountant View Post
hjmiberry's measurements are right. The storage under the bunks is the larger 36" wide one. I actually had to crawl through there a couple times when we broke the lock on our entry door. It's a real tight fit but I did it. Anyway, we use that space to store our kids clothes so that leaves only the front two storage bays for the electric cords, tools, and all of the other needed junk. One thing to remember is there is storage under the sofa. You can lift the seat halfway and store a bunch of stuff under it and behind it. I store a 2nd water hose and a bunch of water jugs for filling our fresh water tank. There's actually a lot of room under there but you need to get to it from the inside.

Also to help organize the front two storage areas, I cut some peg board and mounted it. It makes finding things like small propane tanks, tools, water regulators, and electrical adapters a breeze. My unit is in storage right now or I would snap some pics for you.
Thanks for the info. I like the pegboard idea. I think I would have to make use of the storage under the couch as well....as long as it's only clean stuff....
My wife wants the Murphy bed, so I have no choice but to make it work.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:02 AM   #8

Frontier, If you look at your picture of the storage under the bunks, you will see it is raised about 6" off the floor. There is furnace ducts and water lines under there. At the top, the storage "ceiling" is not much higher than the top of the opening. There is the ceiling or top of the storage plus an aluminum frame that the bed sits on. All of the above reduces what seems like 30" down to 18" or so. I am not sure why there are two layers of paneling at the top. For example, if you remove the mattress and remove the board that supports the bed, you will see an aluminum frame and then another panel that is the "ceiling" of the storage bay. I would think they could have eliminated that panel to make the storage higher but they didn't and I'm not sure why.

Despite this, there is still a lot of space to store stuff. Like I mentioned, we use it to store kids clothes. We were able to put 4 plastic drawers (2- 2x2 drawers) that the kids can put their clothes in and they put their jackets and a few other things on top.

With this model you have to be a bit creative with storage. However, nothing beats the murphy bed system IMO. I believe stand alone beds are a waste of space in campers. I like the ability to put the bed up when you don't need it which creates more room and makes the inside look nice and neat. Plus, I am able to pull a 20' unit with a queen bed, bunks, sofa and dinette.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:14 AM   #9

Frontier, One other thing, it doesn't look like that pic is of a 2306. The storage looks a lot wider than what mine has? My unit has a panel that separates the storage bay from the water heater, water filter and pump.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:17 AM   #10

Oh, I see now. The floor under the bunk is raised, and the ceiling is lower than it seems.
I was also thinking that it would be a good place for Sterilite type drawers for kids clothes....
I agree about the murphy bed. Every other floor plan in this length/weight seems the same. Queen bed as soon as you open the door, dinette/kitchen, bunks and bathroom in the back....This model is the only one with extra seating, which would be perfect on a rainy day.....

Actually, that is a Flagstaff 23LB I think. And it is with a fixed bed, with the 2 bunk option. Which is why there is so much room under there....no water heater etc...

Thanks again.

Tags
2306, bed