Forest River Forums
Sunline User Photos

Old 03-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #1

Angry Poor Workmanship/support

Been getting our 8283SS ready to go and decided to find out why bugs coming in the back end of trailer. Removed trim board hiding wiring and found a 1/2" gap all across the back of trailer to the outside. I can't believe some of the POOR workmanship problems I have been having to correct.

Right now I await a new motor gearbox for the slider. Rockwood was no help in locating or even finding the replacement information. They told my dealer it was one brand and it wasn't. It took him 2 weeks to get any info on the motor. Finally after he called the old manufacture of the original motor, He found out, this company sold to that one and that one sold off to another one and after many headaches and phone calls, he was able to find a company willing to manufacture one for me to fit. What a crock!

Anyway I really appreciated all the hassles the dealership went through no thanks to Rockwood.

I for one, will never buy another Forestriver product. I am stuck with this one for now and am dumping money into it to correct all the shotty workmanship.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
Hob

I wish you luck with your Lippert frame. I have a Lippert frame under a straight pull travel trailer 2009 Puma 27FQ and have already replaced one tin crossmember in the frame. I'm debating whether to fix the rest with upgraded steel now or wait until they crack one by one. Can you tell I have absolutely no trust or faith in Lippert products?

Old 03-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #3

OK, this is a 2005 trailer. Did you buy it new or used?
Sadly you will find that QC across the board in the RV industry is a dirty word. No one it seems cares about anything except the bottom line. Now as to your trailer. How long have you owned it? If you bought it new why did you not have the dealer fix some of your complaints? How many miles has it been towed? remember this is simply a bog box that you are towing down the road. Things fall apart, things fail, and things happen. especially as a trailer gets older. Yours is now 7 years old, you should expect some problems. My 7 year old Cedar Creek is still flawless as the day it left the factory. And I do not expect any problems that I do run across this year to be the fault of the factory.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:42 AM   #4

Well Hob, there is the problem. Rockwood says it is a Lippert. But Lippert says it is not. From 2003 through 2005 Rockwood put some RBW and RVP brand slides in too. Both which are no longer in business in the RV side.

At least Lippert Rep. was helpful in helping find a new motor for me. We sent pictures and info to them and even though they weren't the manufacture of it, they still helped us out and provided the avenue to find one.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
OK, this is a 2005 trailer. Did you buy it new or used?
Sadly you will find that QC across the board in the RV industry is a dirty word. No one it seems cares about anything except the bottom line. Now as to your trailer. How long have you owned it? If you bought it new why did you not have the dealer fix some of your complaints? How many miles has it been towed? remember this is simply a bog box that you are towing down the road. Things fall apart, things fail, and things happen. especially as a trailer gets older. Yours is now 7 years old, you should expect some problems. My 7 year old Cedar Creek is still flawless as the day it left the factory. And I do not expect any problems that I do run across this year to be the fault of the factory.
We bought this one slightly used. It sat on a seasonal lot. The original owners bought it new in 2008. So it is not that old. The things I am finding are hidden from the end users view. Like in the back where the board goes across the floor concealing the wiring. I removed the board to do some work and found a 1/2 to 1" open gap looking right outside. Bugs all over under board. I sealed it up with spray foam. I have a list of things the original owners had fixed. Unreal that these things left the factory like that.

Yes I agree that rolling one of these down the road will cause lots of loosening up and separating issues. Every trailer will have those issues. But these issues are very obvious that they came from the factory that way.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:30 AM   #6

So your unit sat on a dealer lot for 3 years before anyone bought it? Even though it's only been used since 2008, it is still 7 years old. Just sitting for that length of time is an issue.

Forest River deals with many, many manufacturers to put these units together. Only some of your issues are directly related to Forest River. Your slide motor was NOT made by Forest River, so you can save your rants about that for the original manufacturer.
Days camped: 2011: 61; 2012: 66 Days; 2013: 69; Days camped 2014: 12
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregad View Post
Been getting our 8283SS ready to go and decided to find out why bugs coming in the back end of trailer. Removed trim board hiding wiring and found a 1/2" gap all across the back of trailer to the outside. I can't believe some of the POOR workmanship problems I have been having to correct.
I would be interested to see some pics if you have them. It might help others so they know what to look for in case it is a problem with similar units. I'm curious how you could not have seen that unless it was under the trailer. I'd be concerned about rodents too.