Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2014, 05:49 PM   #1
MMCM/SS

Power Stabilizer Jacks

Our new Windjammer 2618W will have 4 power stabilizer jacks. I have always had manual crank down, so I assumed I would have 4 switch's to operate the 4 jacks. While visiting our local Camping World I noticed that all the Windjammers that had the power stabilizer jacks only had one switch for the front and one switch for the back. A lot of times I have had to crank down the stabilizer jacks different amounts, not all sites are level you know. My question is if I am lowering the rear stabilizers at the same time with one switch, and the left rear reaches the ground and the right rear is still a couple of inches away what will happen. Will the left rear stabilizer try to lift the camper? Do they both (left & right) travel the same distance as long as you hold the button down? Please don't tell me the difference between leveling the camper and using stabilizers. I have had four campers but this will be my first with power stabilizers.
Tooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:29 PM   #2

The first jack touching the ground is where it will stop !
I just bought a 2015 Signature 8310SS TT , they had them on...I had them removed and replaced by manual stabilizers for that reason...+ I made the dealer installed a 3rd set of stabilizers just in front of the axles. It does remove a lot of the bounce from the suspension.
Black
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:32 PM   #3

I have the 3065w Windjammer that also has power jacks. Mine work the same as yours. Just for kicks, I put a 2x6 under one jack on the front when the one on the left hit the board it still traveled a little until the other one made contact with the ground. I still did not care for that, so I level the TT with the blocks under the wheels and then use the power jack to level front to back, then lower the stabilizers till they touch, if need be I will put 2x6s under the jacks to make up the difference of the unlevel terrain. I am new to camping and I may be doing it wrong. I am looking forward any responses I am still learning.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:36 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

One jack will contact the ground and stop until the other extends and contacts and then they will both lift together. The whole jack assembly shifts under the trailer. Neat design and works great. I reinforced both legs on mine.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:42 PM   #5

On our Blue Ridge when they lower, one side will hit first then the other will catch up, then they both start to work again to stabilize, I would have thought they all did that, but I could be wrong, anyways welcome to the forum
themounties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:50 PM   #6

I with Coot on this I love mine and being in the north georgia mtns. you wont find a level site. Ive had as much as 16 inch from one side to the other. And never had a problem. I love them. So much easier then having to go to four corners. cuts down on setup time.. to enjoy what we gone there in the first place for..
Old 05-04-2014, 07:36 PM   #7

Love em on our Sabre 5er. I toss a piece of laminated plywood I made under each foot and let my 8 or 10 yo dd lower the legs while I install our x-chocks.

Sent by me
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:57 PM   #8
MMCM/SS

What did you use and how did you reinforce the legs?
Tooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:53 PM   #9

Rear Stabilizers

How much of a load can be put on these rear stabilizer jacks....I usually stop almost as soon as they hit the ground, usually hold the button until it sounds like it has a load on them, not sure if that is long enough ou not..
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
One jack will contact the ground and stop until the other extends and contacts and then they will both lift together. The whole jack assembly shifts under the trailer. Neat design and works great. I reinforced both legs on mine.
This is how mine work on our 30WFKSS.
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Dennis and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:56 AM   #11
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKicklight View Post
How much of a load can be put on these rear stabilizer jacks?
Let 'em run down 'til right before they buckle.
Seriously, I'm wondering the same thing. At my PDI, the shop foreman said to run them until the trailer body just starts to lift. That's what I've been doing, raising the body by an inch in the back. In the front, the tongue jack is doing the lifting so I put the front stabs down until they contact firmly.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:27 AM   #12

The power stabilizers (angled versions) should not be used as jacks, they are designed to keep your unit relatively solid after being levelled, but are not to be used to level the unit. I use a couple short pieces of 2X6 under the feet, and lower until they both contact, then keep lowering for about 2 seconds until I see the back end lift a bit and become solid.

2011 Flagstaff 8526RLWS 5th Wheel
2011 Ford F250 4X4 Crewcab Superduty 6.7L Diesel
B&W 3300 Hitch for Ford 5th Wheel Prep package
Windywest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:21 PM   #13

I love mine, still working to learn how to use them better, but I love the fact that I'm not running around the trailer trying to lower each jack. I also use a cut 2X6 under each jack stand
2012 Rockwood Windjammer 2809W
2004 Dodge Ram 5.7L 4X4 Quad
dfskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:48 PM   #14

I use the lynx lever pads, how many depends on how many I have left over after I level out the tires. I carry 3 sets so I usually can drop at least 2 per stabilizer. I than drop down the stabs until I hear the motor start to sound like it is working, not just spinning. I stop as soon as the noise changes. I do the rest of my set up and than hit the button with a quick tap just to make sure they are loaded. If I'm staying for more then the weekend I may give them a tap every few days just to tighten them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
meck51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:22 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

After reinforcing the legs and making 3/4" pipe struts to replace the strap struts on both the rear jacks and the added axle jacks, I do believe if I worked the landing jacks and the other stab jacks, I could lift the 5er off the wheels. I wouldn't/won't do it, as it would probably bend the flimsy frame, but I do believe I could do it. I sure wouldn't put much pressure on the factory un-reinforced jacks as they will either bend the struts or buckle the legs.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:45 PM   #16

I just bought 2 1.5 ton screw type scissor jacks to put between the tires on both sides and stabilize the frame. The trailer is rock solid when then jacks are extended onto the frame. Can't go too far wrong for $40, I can't believe what a difference they make.

2011 Flagstaff 8526RLWS 5th Wheel
2011 Ford F250 4X4 Crewcab Superduty 6.7L Diesel
B&W 3300 Hitch for Ford 5th Wheel Prep package
Windywest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, power