Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2011, 04:28 PM   #1

Power Stabilizers?

Hey you guys with power stabilizers how do you like them, are they reliable, are they fast enough? I think its one more thing to go wrong, tell what you think.

I like my 18 volt drill w/attachment just fine but I have never had power stabilizers.

Dennis

Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 6.0 PSD
2006 Ford F350 6.0 PSD QC King Ranch
2006 Titanium 36E41MPRV Loaded
SoundMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:44 PM   #2

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
I love -em', Had drill ones before.....nothing like just pressing a button! Havent had any problems, campers new though ! we'll see ! We have the 2011 Windjammer 3065 ( we got ours in Aug,2010)..........your going to love this camper and the auto-jacks are the nuts !!
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:11 PM   #3

i have not used mine but once because i just got it last month and its winter here in michigan, but what i see with the ones on the back of the camper is they both come down the same, so if your on a un-even surface you will have to adjust with different thickness boards, in my parking spot its not a problem but some day it might

2005 Dodge Ram
2011 Rockwood 8281SS
Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:27 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Have them, love them.

The power out option is a battery drill and socket. Motor drive on one end and manual drive connection on the other.

FYI the legs go up and down independently so using them on uneven ground is no problem.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:40 PM   #5

Really like them but... The thing is is that they do not level the trailer, only stabilize. Not a big deal and probably makes trailer more stable because you have to level on the axle. It is annoying if you can't get it just right or are cheap like me and try to use boards for levelling.
2005 Brute Force 750
And most importantly, a loving wife, 2 year old son and a NEW BABY GIRL NOV.30 (I do it all for them!)
rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:10 PM   #6

They come down together, but on uneven ground after the first one hits solid surface it will 'wait' until the other hits solid ground. Then they both go up together evenly. That's what mine do anyway.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
They come down together, but on uneven ground after the first one hits solid surface it will 'wait' until the other hits solid ground. Then they both go up together evenly. That's what mine do anyway.
Yep ... that's the way they operate - haven't bothered to look to see exactly how that is accomplished, but suffice to say , it works. They are not the fastest operating devices in the world !. The only problem we have had is with the power panel circuit breaker popping if the stablizers are retracted too far (heavy current draw at the stop) . Simple solution - install (or have dealer install under warranty) an auto-reset circuit breaker in the panel.

...VTX-AL
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:59 PM   #8

I really like my electric stabilizers. This is the first trailer that I've owned that has them.
If they should ever quit working I'll pull out my cordless drill and do like I use to do. Until then, I jes pushes da button!
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:22 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to stevo
Like mine too!
Operated with a hand held remote so i can walk around or do it from inside while having a cold beverage
Old 02-17-2011, 04:06 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

They will not support the camper at all. Just stabilize it from bouncing when you walk around. You can not use them for leveling as they "self level" as they deploy. They also max out at 3000 pounds split by the two supports. That means that after you deploy the stabilizers you can not run out the landing gear (like to re-level the rig fore and aft) any more as weight will transfer from the wheels to the stabilizers. It is extremely easy to crush the stabilizer leg(s) when you do. It will happen without warning and its about a 500 dollar repair. Also the whipping the rig takes is really bad for seams and seals.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River
Old 02-17-2011, 06:21 PM   #11
Wanna Be Camper

We opted to rough it and spend the 2 minutes to put them down manually. We have 14x14x10 blocks we put under the stabalizers anyway so might just as well take the extra 30 seconds to drop the stabilizer, I don't even know were the drill adapter went either so we do a real manual up and down. Not knocking anyone with them but we just add it to our exercise that we usually desperatly need when away from home. But for people with injuries etc I can see them being a real blessing.
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:42 PM   #12

De-stabelized

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX Al View Post
... The only problem we have had is with the power panel circuit breaker popping if the stabilizers are retracted too far (heavy current draw at the stop) . Simple solution - install (or have dealer install under warranty) an auto-reset circuit breaker in the panel.

...VTX-AL
Interesting. We picked up our rig Friday and camped in a nearby campground over the weekend. Worked fine several times (as I did the forehead slap realizing they need to be deployed AFTER you disconnect from your towing rig). However, once we drove to the house to unload they stopped working. No obvious circuit breaker trip, no blown fuse (if the LEDs can be trusted). Any ideas before I call the dealer?

Also, I certain that with a piece of PVC pipe slid over the shaft to hold with one hand, I can spin the manual handle at least twice as fast as the motor with the other hand.
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:04 AM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Another possibility is to look for is a bad (or corroded) auto-resetting current limiter near the up/down switch.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:28 AM   #14

mine came with them. haven't had any problems.
they do nothing more than stabilize. still have shake when i walk around. 2002 cardnal purchased new.
i'd get them again.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:34 AM   #15

Obviously the 2012 Surveyors come with them as standard, mine is a 2011 and I missed that train. I just purchased a socket and a nice cordless drill and I will see if that will work for me. Kneeling down and messing with the stabilizers is not easy on my body anymore unfortunately. If the drill does not work, I am considering getting the motors and adding the option myself
Old 04-05-2011, 07:40 AM   #16
Site Team - Lou

It is a complete replacement. Here is the PDF on my unit.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Rear Stab Jack-Web.pdf (872.4 KB, 84 views)
Old 04-05-2011, 07:36 PM   #17

Thanks for the PDF Lou!

The manual included in my manual packet was a single sheet installation instruction (LIP Sheet 0025) - 1/3 of it was your page 12, 1/3 was bolt hole locations, and the rest was the 8 one-sentence steps to install. (I'll keep a copy of yours, thanks!). Since it's new, I doubt the corrosion - but I will check to find out what I can see without disassembling much. I guess, I'll call the dealer tomorrow and set up an appointment.

Of course while reading your manual, I note the instructions about disconnecting the power before manually extending (the motor becomes a generator - something I should have thought of!). Sounds like any installation should have a single pole, single throw on-off switch to isolate the motor. I wonder if it should go between the switch and the motor, or the switch and the negative ground/return to battery?
Old 04-05-2011, 08:30 PM   #18
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
Thanks for the PDF Lou!

I wonder if it should go between the switch and the motor, or the switch and the negative ground/return to battery?
You are very welcome.

As to the switch...

Always break voltage; never the ground.

You can put a kill switch between the hot 12 volts and the rocker switch if you want. Once you find out what is wrong with the motor you will never use it again though.

I DID, however, put a kill switch for the front landing gear on my Fiver that serves two purposes.

Kids and Juvenile Delinquents LOVE to press switches on the outside of the camper "Just Cause They are There" and can easily damage your rear stabilizers if they are down. (Not so important on the rear stabs as they will pop a breaker before they damage anything). The landing gear is a whole nuther issue because lifting the front with the stabs down will attempt to lift the wheels off the ground. When the weight transferred to the stabs hits about 3000 pounds they will fold.

and two: Have you ever tried to hook up to a camper with inoperative landing gear? REAL pain in the butt. Big bottle jacks; shoring; and lots of help required. Saves on locking the king pin for security.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post

As to the switch...

Always break voltage; never the ground.

You can put a kill switch between the hot 12 volts and the rocker switch if you want.
You said 'rocker switch' and it hit me: In the neutral position; it is an isolation switch. The switch makes momentary contact when pressed in either direction, reversing the polarity in one of the directions. As long as the switch was 'off' the motor was isolated from the battery. An additional isolation is not really needed. I wouldn't have caused electrical damage from generated current unless the switch had failed closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Kids and Juvenile Delinquents LOVE to press switches on the outside of the camper "Just Cause They are There" and can easily damage your rear stabilizers if they are down.
Good thought on our tongue jack (similar to your front jacks on the 5th wheel). I've got kids. Although I am working to avoid letting them becoming delinquents, my boy is entering the 'test to destruction phase' - an unfamiliar concept to his mother who came from a family of sisters only.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:32 AM   #20
Site Team - Lou

Kids playing with switches is inevitable and normal. We need to just protect ourselves from their quite normal curiosity. Like locks on the under sink cabinet.

The JD comment was for "older" Butt Munches who think causing you grief would be funny. The HAHA they get when you stop for lunch at a rest stop and they pull the disconnect handle on your 5th wheel hitch and other dangerous jokes.