Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2012, 03:49 PM   #61

Send a message via AIM to iowaborn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo1 View Post
What is your Tow vehicle?
TV is 2006 Tacoma w/tow pkg. The specs are adequate to handle the 25DS, but I am concerned about the available horsepower of the 4L V6 when the towing gets tough. I will know for sure in 4 months.
iowaborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:51 PM   #62

It's all good in the corn field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
Run from the Trailblazer as fast as you can. lemon alert.
Thanks for your viewpoint but I have 150k miles and it is going strong. Had it tuned up for camper pulling and took it from Northwest Ohio to Kure Beach NC and back through West Virginia. So far so good
Nights camped in 2011 = 17
Nights camped in 2012 = 4, 10 more planned
Endersbrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:20 PM   #63

Tacoma (excellent truck) but

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyob View Post
TV is 2006 Tacoma w/tow pkg.
I am concerned about the available horsepower of the 4L V6
when the towing gets tough.
we pull our trailer with a Trundra (nice pull)
but
the wife is on her second Tacoma (excellent truck)
but
yes it will be a little slow pulling for you
especially on hills
pushing that little THING to the max I think

Mountainman
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:53 PM   #64

picking up the 25ds thursday and driving back home 50 miles...hope I make it.
Solo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:51 PM   #65

I have a 2012 rockwood 2502s and had a 09 tacoma v6 and it pulls just fine . Its a tough little truck. It might strain some on steep terrain but it does a great job overall. in fact good enough that I now own a 2012 tacoma.
Redwing13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #66

UPDATE from OP:

Well, the virgin towing experience of my new 2011 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25DS (twin to Rockwood Mini Lite 2502S) with 2001 Jeep Limited, 56k miles, 4x4, 4.7, v8, is done! And I must say, the tow was a piece of cake compared to my fears. (thinking the air bags and performance brake pads and rotors helped).

Just kept in right lane at 55 - 62; I noticed the trailer was there, but it didn't feel heavy and very little if any sway.... though it was empty (except for 1/3 fresh water the dealer already had in it) and I was on flat terrain... but am very pleased with the experience. Maybe once it is loaded with personal affects I will feel more drag and sway.

I didn't have any 18 wheelers blow by me at 20 mph faster either, so that experience remains to be felt ; I just edged a little to the right as the big boys approached and all was fine. I even pushed to 70+ mph at one point with no problem to make a need lane change as the highway forked.

I am really glad I went with the travel trailer that I wanted from the beginning. Plenty of room with the slide / couch across from dinette, kitchen out of the living area and 2 doors and island queen in front.

Taking it out in the country where I am going to store at a friends farm..... and he happens to be having a bonfire Sat. night. Good way to break 'er in.

Thanks to all again for the advice!

David

Quote:
picking up the 25ds thursday and driving back home 50 miles...hope I make it.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #67

protect your trailer against mice and rats

Quote:
Taking it out in the country where I am going to store at a friends farm..... and he happens to be having a bonfire Sat. night. Good way to break 'er in.
you might wish to think about
some protection out there for
mice and rats
we live in the county
you will be very sick
if they move in while you are away
Mountainman
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
you might wish to think about
some protection out there for
mice and rats
we live in the county
you will be very sick
if they move in while you are away
Mountainman
Great thought. Any preferred methodologies?

I expect to use every 6 weeks or so and stop in once a month.

THX.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Solo 1, glad the towing experience went well. I too was dreading the 1st tow with a full sized camper, but got relaxed enough on the way home from the dealer that I missed my turn off of the interstate.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #70

Quote:
Hello Folks - Extreme newbie here..and new member.

I have never towed a trailer before and in researching options I keep coming back to the 2505s due to its weight, roominess, seating, 2 doors, and overall layout (kitchen and bath away from the living space).

I have a low mileage (56k) 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ltd with 4.7 v-8 4x4 and factory tow package (I believe class iv) with a 6500lb towing capacity.

Fully loaded, how much does the 2502S trailer usually weigh? Do those on this forum with engine / towing capacity similar to mine have any issues? Based on research, I expect that I would tow about 5,500 lbs which would hopefully give me a good margin of error vs. the Jeep's 6500 lb towing capacity.

What is your overall experience with the 2505 S trailer? Any observations would be greatly appreciated.

David
Winter Park, FL.
Your Jeeps tow rating is based on an empty vehicle with a 150 lbs allowence for the driver. Any thing else that goes into the vehicle comes right of the tow rating. In other words you would be running very close to max capacity.

Take care,

photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:42 AM   #71

Send a message via AIM to iowaborn
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyob View Post
TV is 2006 Tacoma w/tow pkg. The specs are adequate to handle the 25DS, but I am concerned about the available horsepower of the 4L V6 when the towing gets tough. I will know for sure in 4 months.
Decided not to push my Taco to the limits and traded for a 2012 F-150 XLT 5.0L SuperCab. Everything I wanted except for the rear view camera and they threw that in to be added locally. Also ordered the extended towing mirrors to be added locally so I am all set for long trips when we take possession of the 25DS in April. I did my home work with Edmunds and NADA before talking with the dealer and they were $2,200 under my estimate so I just could not pass it up. I will miss the Taco, but the F-150 is really a nice ride. Now what to do with all the Taco bed rail accessories I still have.
iowaborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:32 AM   #72

V-Cross Vibe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtkato View Post
Mountainmanbob
not sure what you mean by stabilizing setup? Your WD hitch, or stabalizing jacks?
If either one, you will be amazed...
Just wish our 1809S had FULL quee sized beds, and ran N/S
This spring, I will go to our RV show and check out the New Forest River V-Cross Vibe TT's (lightweight, aerodynamic, fiberglass roof, large holding tanks, green construction, full sized queen beds, and HUGE passthrough storage...under the raised bed area, and can hold the full sized spare standing upright)
Love all the innovations that mfg are focusing on smaller RV TTs.
Just bought a V-Cross Vibe 826 VFK. Pulls great and seems like it wasn't even behind me until I hit some of the hills. I was able to maintain 55 - 60 up hills with little strain on a Toyota Tundra. Nice layout and a FULL queen in a private room.
mskol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:42 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hob View Post
The power tongue jack is the best thing since sliced bread.

Hob
"Amen" to the power jack
mskol is offline   Reply With Quote