Old 07-14-2013, 08:33 PM   #1

Proflex Caulking on New Trailer

Noticed on my 2014 Wildwood 300bh that none of the windows or storage doors had caulking on the outside. Talked to dealer and was told they are sealed in the inside and don't require blobs of exterior caulking around frame. Having had a 2010 trailer with water damage that bubbled the side I figured I would be cautious and put a bead of clear proflex around everything anyway. Well seeing my trailer is tan with black window frames the caulking stood out like a sore thumb. The caulk was difficult to work with as I couldn't smooth the bead nice with my finger. I ended up removing the caulk the next day as I didn't like the way it looked. I guess I will go with dealers advice and leave as is. Just wanted to share my experience. Time spent drinking a few beers would have been better spent.

Eastlake, OH
EastlakeRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #2

It is a lot of work, but I always mask off anything I am going to caulk, both sides. That way I can smear the caulking into any gaps really well, and leave just a thin line of caulk after pulling the tape off.
There is nothing worse than a bunch of caulk smeared all over the place.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Forest River uses a tape between the exterior siding and flange. Still getting used to it because my previous rig had caulk on the horizontal and 3-4 inches down the side. ProFlex is a very good caulk and is a polyurethane that cures by being exposed to the humidity in the air. They make a clear caulk if you want to try again. Since it "skins" over very quickly, I do small sections at a time and use minerals spirits to help smooth it. You may also try painter tape to prevent overruns and maintain straight seams. I am going to add caulk in these areas because I had a water leak on previous rig that had putty tape and no caulking.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:04 AM   #4

yah the painters/masking tape would have kept the mess down. I have applied caulk in the past around bath tubs, sinks, ect and was able to smooth the caulk with my finger. I guess since its cleans up with water it was easy to use.

Will Proflex smooth easier if you use mineral spirits on your finger? All I wanted was a small bead around the outside flange and fiberglass and turned into a nightmare. Its been all removed and looks like it did when we picked it up.
Eastlake, OH
Old 07-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Mineral spirits, Acetone, most any solvent will help smooth but you must apply short sections and smooth quickly as it skins over quickly'

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #6

When I get the courage I may try a window with masking tape and acetone to see if I get better results. Thanks for the suggestions.

Eastlake, OH