Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
L and F Martinez

Propane leak detector

I have a 2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2880WS Fifthwheel. I have checked and double checked for leaks at every connection etc, and my CO2 detector still goes off after several hours of being energized. I belive I have a faulty leak dector but not sure. Once when it went off I used my hand held leak detector at the time and location and it did not pick up a leak. Has anyone experienced the same problem
jpntng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:55 PM   #2
Denver, CO

It's probably bad but it"s not for propane, its for CO carbon monoxide. nuting to do with propane. It will alarm if you have a faulty furnace, generator or someone running a gas engine nearby. Maybe the stove to.

That said, they do go bad and can be replaced. Some of them have a replaceable module if it has expired you can just try changing that.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #3

I have had the same problem with 2012 Rockwood 8319SS. I've even disconnected it. If traveling with dogs, it may need to be vacuumed out due to dog hair getting into it. I've even been told it could be due to dog farts. We still love our Rockwood.
Rodney-the-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
Rockwood 8289WS Diamond

But I'm sure the dog farts have GOT to go.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #5

If it's the same detector that's in the Soleras it's a CO and gas detector. They have been having problems with those detectors I had to have mine replaced. Check with your dealer.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:58 PM   #6

Ours started alarming continuously while still under warranty. Dealer checked it out and no leaks evident so replaced the module. The new one (less than 12 months old) started to do the same thing on our last trip and so we disconnected it in order to be able to sleep. No furnace or generators being used and turned the propane tanks off when not in use just to be on the safe side but think we were being over cautious. Obviously defective modules bit at a loss as to what to replace it with
dandsmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:14 AM   #7

On the Solera's they put the detectors over the steps where the batteries are and we think the batteries off gassing is causing the alarms to sound? I haven't had a problem since replacing my detector but if it starts up again I am looking at relocating the detector to see what happens.

Tags
leak, propane