Old 11-30-2015, 11:22 AM   #11

Propane question

But,

I keep them both open all the time and just keep an eye on the empty/full indicator. I ran all this camping season on the same tank. Last trip before winterizing I got the red indication meaning one of my tanks were empty. Turned the indicator knob to the full tank and got green then turned the supply valve off to the empty tank and removed it and loaded it up and had it filled. Now I start next camping season with both tanks full.

On our previous RV I used the method of waiting until one tank was empty before manually switching over.

The key is that if you are using the auto switch over with both tank valves open that you have to keep an eye on the indicator so you will know when the tank is empty. I checked it every time we took it out.

That one tank lasted me all season running the fridge and occasional furnace use in the spring and fall. We also used a small electric heater to minimize furnace use.

I have a mental checklist of things that I have to do when I hook up and before I leave a campsite. The gas indicator is one of those things that I check pretty much every trip.

Use either method but just know that if you plan on manually switching it over that you can ALWAYS count on running out in the middle of the night. It is kind of like batteries on smoke detectors. They almost always start beeping in the middle of the night to let you know to change them out. It is called Murphy's Law..........

Use the method that works best for you and that you are most comfortable with.

Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 11-30-2015, 11:39 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klbrown53 View Post
Use the method that works best for you and that you are most comfortable with.
X2

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 12:28 PM   #13

if working with electric hookups then consider getting a small electric heater, saves on the price of the gas

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:47 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
At 3AM and the second tank runs out. BRRRRRRR!!!!!
Yeah. You are right. It is cold in pjs and slippers at 3AM in the snow. Did that north of Little Rock after the Christmas day snow blizzard a couple years ago. Then i filled the empty tank before leaving the campground. Not fun!
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 02:44 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
Even though you can let the propane switch automatically, I prefer to leave one tank open and one tank closed. When one is empty then open the full one. That way I KNOW that I just emptied a tank and time to get it refilled. I've been there when I didn't know the first tank was empty and run the second out at 3 am with no back up propane. Who remembers to check the tanks to see if they switched over.

When a tank goes empty the furnace, water heater, and fridge may need to recycle to purge fresh propane into them but it should be OK.
That's the way we do it!
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:22 AM   #16

Ok, so I've connected both tanks. I've opened both tanks. I have the selector opened toward my right tank. It has been running a few days. Everything is green.

Is it only drawing propane from the tank the selector is pointed to?

I do look every morning, but am afraid to run totally out.

Is the tank the selector is not pointing to remain full until the other is empty?
Old 12-03-2015, 08:49 AM   #17

Yes it only draws from the tank it's pointing to, until that tank runs out. It will then draw from the other tank. Now with the indicator pointing to the empty tank, it will show red, indicating that the tank is empty. Rotate the indicator to the full tank. Now it will show green. Turn off the empty tank, remove, fill, replace, hook it up, turn on slowly and voila you're set to go. Mine actually show an orangish green when getting close to being empty. At least that's what these senior eyeballs are seeing. If you're using the furnace in cooler weather then you will use the propane up faster therefore it's a good thing to check your tanks more often, At least once a day if you don't already do that. That's what those transfer valves were made for. So you don't run out of propane in the middle of the night and then get the look from the better half, get dressed, go outside, shiver and shake, curse and/or mumble to yourself, turn on the other tank, then possibly have to bleed the gas lines in order for the furnace to light up again. Then you climb back into bed, find that the covers are over to the side of the bed you don't sleep on, mumble to yourself again, get dressed, climb back into bed with your clothes on, mumble some more whilst berating yourself and then wait for morning to come and steel yourself for the blast of hot air that will be coming your way.....it's so easy...if you just check your tanks while walking past them.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:24 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by episodic View Post
Ok, so I've connected both tanks. I've opened both tanks. I have the selector opened toward my right tank. It has been running a few days. Everything is green.

Is it only drawing propane from the tank the selector is pointed to?
Until the indicator turns red, yes.

Quote:
I do look every morning, but am afraid to run totally out.
If both tanks are full to begin with, I sincerely doubt you will run out during a camping trip, unless the furnace is running a bunch. In the 7 years that I have had my camper, I have only got a propane fill 12 times. Those puppies last a long time.

Quote:
Is the tank the selector is not pointing to remain full until the other is empty?
Yes, if the tank was full to start with. When red indicator shows, it is then pulling from the other tank. Switch the valve, close the valve of the empty tank, get it filled, reinstall, open the valve, and the process starts all over again.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 07:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeman View Post
Yes it only draws from the tank it's pointing to, until that tank runs out. It will then draw from the other tank. Now with the indicator pointing to the empty tank, it will show red, indicating that the tank is empty. Rotate the indicator to the full tank. Now it will show green. Turn off the empty tank, remove, fill, replace, hook it up, turn on slowly and voila you're set to go. Mine actually show an orangish green when getting close to being empty. At least that's what these senior eyeballs are seeing. If you're using the furnace in cooler weather then you will use the propane up faster therefore it's a good thing to check your tanks more often, At least once a day if you don't already do that. That's what those transfer valves were made for. So you don't run out of propane in the middle of the night and then get the look from the better half, get dressed, go outside, shiver and shake, curse and/or mumble to yourself, turn on the other tank, then possibly have to bleed the gas lines in order for the furnace to light up again. Then you climb back into bed, find that the covers are over to the side of the bed you don't sleep on, mumble to yourself again, get dressed, climb back into bed with your clothes on, mumble some more whilst berating yourself and then wait for morning to come and steel yourself for the blast of hot air that will be coming your way.....it's so easy...if you just check your tanks while walking past them.
I'm sure this is all hypothetical. This could never have actually happened to you!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 07:30 AM   #20

rockfordroo, nope never happened to me as I have been doing this camping thing for about 38 years or so. I have always checked my propane tanks so what I described wouldn't happened. I'm married to a Canadian, French women, with a bit of native people in her, who is also left handed so I shouldn't have to say anything else.....and hope to h*ll she never reads this. . At my age now, I like to be warm while sleeping and in the 5er.

Tags
propane