Old 01-29-2013, 08:02 PM   #1

Purchased first trailer!!!!

Well I've always wanted to purchase a travel trailer and I finally went for it. Just bought a 2013 2902SS and can't wait to hit the road. Still have many little things I need to purchase before the first trip. Any suggestions on must haves are really appreciated. Also I'm in South Florida and want a cover but have mixed reviews on it. Is there a particular brand that does better in the south. Most I'm seeing are saying for cold winter climates.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:10 PM   #2

crongrats on the new tt. Like you i a'm just as intresteded in any ideas one might have to get going before the first trip. Please keep me in the loop. Unfortantly i dont live in the south but up here in NJ the weather is always up and down. I heard alot of mix reviews on covers and also agree on what would be a good one to purchase.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:09 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new 2902SS. As far as 'must haves' start with a sense of humor, it"ll go a long way. Do you have 30 AMP extension cord, water pressure regulator, white water hose, water filter, teflon tape for water connections, wheel chocks, step rugs and outdoor mat to keep alot of the dirt outside, a good sewer hose, surge protector(cheap insurance), get MaxxAir roof vent covers installed, some 2X6 boards for leveling & putting under stabilizers, there's lots more but this will get you started.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:48 AM   #4

Thanks for the advice!! Starting to make a long list of the things needed. Didn't have the water regulator, guess that's a big one to have too. Don't need to blow all the plumbing out of the new trailer.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:11 AM   #5

Congrats on the new purchase. We are also in Florida on the Treasure coast. As for the cover I have the adco designer and it isn't made for the every other month removal. It's two years old and has many holes. I've tried everything as far as corner padding but when you remove it that many times nothing helps. I do like how clean and dry it stays but feel these are better made for longer periods like winter months. The best cover is a garage or metal carport, but not the cheapest. Hope you enjoy your new camper. Oh ya, patients is a good thing to have with a camper!
Old 01-30-2013, 09:47 AM   #6

Don't forget the tool box. You will soon be amazed how many little things will need tightening, adjusting, banging, etc, even on a brand new trailer.

Here is the start of a basic list. I'm sure others will have add-on as well:
  1. Hammer
  2. Pliers (Need nose, diag cuters, Channel locks, vise grips, etc)
  3. Screw drivers (multiple sizes and types); don't forget the short stubby kind and a #2 square drive is a must!
  4. Digital Mutimeter
  5. Tape measure
  6. Sockets
  7. Open end wrenches
  8. and more...
Also it's a good idea to have a kit of misc hardware items for on the spot repairs Here are some of the things I carry to give you and idea:
  1. Screws, nuts & washers of various sizes
  2. Small nails
  3. Duct tape. (no jokes please!)
  4. Glass filement tape
  5. Vinyl electrical tape
  6. Teflon tape
  7. Tie Wraps (Various sizes)
  8. String
  9. 5 min epoxy
  10. silcone selant
  11. extra lengths of wire (#12 & #14)
  12. Extras plumbing fittings
  13. Replacement Water heater thermostats
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:52 AM   #7

14. Extra fuses
Old 01-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #8

Jack stands
Jack
Torque wrench
White grease for wheel studs
More fuses( you never know)
Super strong cable lock for generator (if using)
Water thief
15 amp extension cord
Small air compressor (12v or 120 if u have gene)
Jump box

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #9

FL-Diamond8312 a carport would be the way to go but PSL is ridiculous with the permits lol. I got time to pick a cover and do more research. First outing is going to be MudFest in Okeechobee, should be interesting.
SimchaSabre thanks the list just got bigger, although DuctTape was on the list for sure. Redneck must have!!!
Old 01-30-2013, 12:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctroutman23 View Post
FL-Diamond8312 a carport would be the way to go but PSL is ridiculous with the permits lol. I got time to pick a cover and do more research. First outing is going to be MudFest in Okeechobee, should be interesting.
SimchaSabre thanks the list just got bigger, although DuctTape was on the list for sure. Redneck must have!!!
Mudfest is a great way to break in a new camper. We are located in Ft Pierce and know what you mean about PSL. The cover is the best option, I wouldn't spend the extra on the designer again due to the abuse it takes.