Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2012, 04:49 PM   #1

Quality control issues at Forest River

We bought a 2012 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite Model 8319SS last May. We love it but have had some issues that never should have left the plant and we're wondering if anyone else has had the same problems.
1. Two switches in different locations had to be rewired because they were reversed.
2. The Antifreeze inlet and the black tank flush inlet were mis-labled and when I was trying to flush the black tank, I was actually putting the non-potable water from the dump station into my fresh water tank and have no idea how much water was in there. Every timed I dumped the tanks, I did what I thought was flushing the black tank. Since I had never intentionally filled the fresh water tank there was water sitting in it all winter that I didn't know was there. We live in Florida and whether or not the tank froze and was damaged, we don't know.
When I tried to fill it to sanitize it, water came pouring out of the belly pan. I was able to fill it thru the anti freeze inlet after I switched the lines. it appears that some damage may have been done over the winter and we are hoping sincerely that Forest River will take care of this.
Also, why would a manufacturer put a water filter in such a place where you couldn't get a pan under it to catch water while changing it. When a little water did spill there was no where for it to go except to a place where you couldn't get to it to wipe it up.
Rodney-the-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #2

you have had it for one year and now posting issues - this doesnt sound right

switches can be accidently miswired - the dealer should have caught this during the PDI unless you didnt get a PDI done which also when you did a walk thru the dealer would have showed you how to.

doesnt sound like quality control issue to me - when water freezes it expands and has no where to go.
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Rodney-the-Rock, sounds like you have a problem for the dealer you bought the trailer from. He should have caught all that during his inspection and you should have caught the water problem and the switch problem during your walk thru.

I would take the trailer back to the dealer and politely demand he fix the problems.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #4

I would agree that is a quality control problem. Are 2012 35qb4 had and still has problems that should have never made it out of the factory. Like, broken front cap, floor vinyl cut too far around heat vent, drain pipe for outside kitchen falling off when slide goes out, ceiling molding put on over light, New front cap cracked over winter around one mounting screw. I could go on and on. When the dealer told me they had to make a second repair order because FR wouldn't accept that many on one it wasn't good. Don't get me wrong we love the camper, but quality control is not good at all. If auto makes where like that they would not make it a year.
Jscribner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:52 PM   #5

I have had my trailer for one year now, since May 2011 and only issues was with a few screws in the bedroom door track from the washroom that fell off. For the in-house filter I removed it (by-passed) when it was time to winterized and convert it to an outside filter. I did have one blow out on one tire "Trail Express" after 6000 km on them, but since I had a TPMS TST 507,it did alarm before I lost all pressure and prevented damage to the trailer, I was able to pull over and change with the spare. Here is a picture of the tire damage. Also when tire failed, I did hear a loud "pop" and it took app. 30 sec for the TPMS to show a drop in pressure as it was not a fast leak. I was able to drive off the expressway #40 going to Quebec City. Once I was in a safe location, I used my digital pressure gauge and the pressure was down to 45 psi. Thanks to the TST 507 it prevented any damage to the trailer. I did get the tires balanced after this event and was surprised tat the amounts of weigths that was needed: 3, 3.5, 3.5 and 3.75 oz. The one that failed required 3.5 oz. I have a 8000 km trip coming in July, Calgary Stampede, and will see how everything performs since balancing the tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1817.jpg
Views:	930
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	14730   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1814.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	14731  
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:03 PM   #6

Rodney, not sure what you mean by "Antifreeze inlet"?
DonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:07 PM   #7

I just picked up my 2013 Salem 26BUD last week and have found the following:

One window shade it too short
Table is the wrong size and doesn't fit to make a bed in the booth dinette (this one we found at the PDI and I opted for the bigger table. I'll just cut a piece of plywood to do the job).
Missing latch to hold the upper bunk out of the way to store things
A couple lights aren't working (I swear they were at the PDI)

Overall, I'm not surprised by any of it.... for the price paid it's to be expected. None of us could afford a perfect trailer. To me this is what warranties are for.

The thing with the reversed water is pretty bad, though.

mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonG View Post
Rodney, not sure what you mean by "Antifreeze inlet"?
The new TT have an inlet on the outside of the TT where you can hook a hose up on the outside, turn on the pump, and it will distribute your antifreeze throughout the TT. All you have to do now is switch the water heater by pass to on and switch the valve that chooses whether your pump is pulling its source from the potable water tank or the anti freeze inlet.

Hope that makes sense. Here is a pic of what mine looks like. The inlet directly under the power cord is the anti freeze inlet and the one below it is the black tank flush.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0487.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	14732  
Equalizer 4-Point Sway 12000# & Tekonsha P3
pbrackney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:50 PM   #9

Thanks pb, I see how it could get confusing!
DonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:56 PM   #10

Yeah and if it was labeled wrong it would make things even more confusing. Sorry Rodney the rock for all the trouble. Hoping your dealer makes everything right for you.
Equalizer 4-Point Sway 12000# & Tekonsha P3
pbrackney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #11

Let me rephrase my problem, since I obviously wasn't clear.
1. I noticed a gurgling sound at the fresh water tank fill hose connection on the passenger side of the RV upon adding fresh water to rinse the black tank (clearly labeled on the driver's side of the RV) after dumping.
2. I called our dealer about this and they told me there was no connection between the black tank and the fresh tank and didn't off any other suggestions.
3.. Until a few days ago, I have never put water into the fresh water tank.
4. Upon hooking the hose to the fresh water connection on the passenger side of the RV to sanitize the fresh water tank in preparation to our first dry camping trip, I found water pouring out from the drain in the belly pan.
5. After more calls to the dealer and upon further inspection, I found that the black water flush hose connection was connected to the anti-freeze line instead of the black tank. The anti-freeze line was connected to the black tank.
6. Thus, after each of our trips, when I flushed the black tank, I was actually adding water to the fresh tank without knowing it, since the hoses had been reversed when connected at the factory.

The reversal of the two hoses, which is a big problem since it appears it has caused the fresh tank to burst,combined with the wiring of four different electrical switches is why I am about quality control issues.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I have one question/comment. After you "flushed" the black tank, or attempted to, did you not drain it again, and didn't notice that nothing came out? A lot of folks have a clear elbow so they can watch the tanks drain, and know when they are empty. I usually just keep watching the hose, or feeling it, to determine if water is coming out.

I do sympathize with you over your problems, and agree should never have happened.

One other lesson learned for us all, drain your fresh tank every once in a while, especially before winter, even if you never put any water in it, some one else might have. Also eliminates carrying unwanted/unneeded weight.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:59 PM   #13

Thanks to all of you who responded. Good news! We talked to our dealer as we left on our first long trip and they told us to call Forest River. We talked to them and were told that Forest River would make it right. We'll make an appointment with our dealer on the way back home and see how it goes. Keeping our fingers crossed.