Old 08-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Horned Owl View Post
Actually, that is not the whole story. In the early '50s, "made in Japan" was synonymous with "pure junk." They manufactured cart that nobody would buy because they were so bad. Their government decided that something needed to be done.

They located an American quality guru named W. Edwards Deming. He had some great ideas, but nobody in the U.S. was paying any attention to him. They all believed that his methods were too expensive to implement. The Japanese auto makers put Deming's theories into practice, and the results were astounding. Not ony were they producing some of the world's best cars, bur they discovered that rather than being expensive, a well designed quality program actually saved huge amounts of money.

The U.S. auto industry resisted for a few more years, but eventually they began to see the light. It is ironic that Detroit had to "import" an essentially American quality system from Japan.

The real problem with the RV industry is not too little competition. They actually suffer from too much competition. No manufacturer has high enough production rates to be able to emerge from the "hand crafted" production methods that prevail today. See my earlier post in this thread.

Joel
beg to differ, my Airstream which was a 2009 had zero issues with it during my ownership, I have yet to own a forest river product that did not have to return to the dealer after each and every use. It could be that Airstream retains its employees long enough to train them properly.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #12

Competion on RV's

Ole "Great Horned Owl" how mighty is your wisdom!
Just a little humor there.
I stand corrected. I may have spoken to hastily. You are right, there are very good RV's made that stand the test of time.
Competition still is good for any industry. Whether a particular industry has any competition or not as long as the company we are talking about has the perception of competition then that industry will keep on making a great product. It is the mindset of the leaders that drive quality. I own a company and quality is an important ingredient of our success. The other ingredients are a fair price and great service.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #13

As I stated in my orriginal post. I feel confident that Forrest River will right the wrong. I think there has to be a good combination of dealer investment as well as manufacturer investment. I think the customer service side fails due to lack of dealer investment after the purchase. I do agree that there is a lot of problems considering it is only a year old, and quality control is an issue. We owned a 17 year old class a gasser, a Damon Daybreak. This is the bottom line of a bottom feeder according to the good people over on another rv forum. We had no issues with this vehicle. When we decided to buy new we went in with our eyes wide open because so many friends and freinds of friends had so many problems. Our hope was to pick a proven dealership that would go to bat if we did have problems. I hope I am not proven a fool, I can't afford another rv and couldn't enjoy this one with the problems it has. Once the problems are corrected we are going to enjoy this one for 17 years.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #14

Regret to say that my 2013 8289 WS is also plagued with issues. AC had to be replaced , dinette slide leaks, skylight, kitchen table, bedroom door, drawer slides broken, stove top hinges broken, smoke detector battery dead, outside flood lights not working, broken cabinet hinges, marginal ( at best ) chinese tires, . ON the bright side trailer tows great, very comfortable to live in and dealer has been terrific fixing issues. Hope to some day park in storage area and not at dealer when we are not using.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #15

It is certainly possible to produce a defect free RV without a real quality system I have lived in my Puma for 13 weeks over the last year, and I haven't had to take it back to the dealer at all. I was lucky. The problem is that the next similar unit they produced could just as well have been loaded with defects.

Yes, competition is good, but we have a case of too much of a good thing. As long as we have 200 different brands (a pure guess) and 2000 different models (another guess) the production quantities will never be great enough to enable the manufacturers to implement a real quality system.

Joel
Great Horned Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Tav View Post
Regret to say that my 2013 8289 WS is also plagued with issues. AC had to be replaced , dinette slide leaks, skylight, kitchen table, bedroom door, drawer slides broken, stove top hinges broken, smoke detector battery dead, outside flood lights not working, broken cabinet hinges, marginal ( at best ) chinese tires, . ON the bright side trailer tows great, very comfortable to live in and dealer has been terrific fixing issues. Hope to some day park in storage area and not at dealer when we are not using.
Did you blow tires or did they just fail?

B
Old 08-06-2013, 11:54 PM   #17
Site Team

This is the best the rv industry can do.... Lack of quality,shoddy workmanship rushed to the dealer to charge BIG $$$$. I had a new 2013 and now 2014 same story. They both spent and spend more time at my dealer then camping in or sitting in my drive way!
The rv industry has a long long way to go to reach "quality". No excuses it is what it is.
low quality , lack of pride in workmanship and the qc let be honest it sucks! If its broke dont put it in / if it fit dont break it trying. No they install it anyway.
I would expect that quality from China, but they couldnt do much worst. Oh Im sure the management cares but how about the worker on the floor?
Yep Im pissed 40k and the quality poor at best. I talk to so many people and its the same story. Once in a while someone no has problems and thats great or maybe the dont look to close......
That said we love our lacrosse!
2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:19 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Did you blow tires or did they just fail?

B
I think he just didn't like the Chinese made tires. I have the same type of tires. I'm thinking of replacing them but not too sure of what to replace them with.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:48 AM   #19
ARLO

Quality control.

We own a Flagstaff 829Fkss and love it. Quality ranks right up there with our 2000 Sunline and 1995 prowler, both were problem free. The only issue we had with the Flagstaff was some soft spots in the floor. FR was purchasing floors from an outside supplier at the time and was experiencing some delamination problems. They solved this problem by building their own assembly plant on site to control quality. FR brought my unit back to Indiana and installed a new floor, problem solved. While it was there, they went over the whole trailer and repaired a few things that I did not even mention. Broken fire extinguisher bracket (we caught it with the chair), the stove vent (I forgot to latch it and lost the flapper), put down new carpeting, replaced a decal outside that had a wrinkle in it and completely resealed the exterior. I do have to admit that I was not overly happy with the Carlisle tires that came with it but this was also a problem on my Sunline and my Holiday Rambler. After 2+ years you could see evidence of heat checking on all 4 tires. Carlisle would have nothing to do with warranty so I went to a local tire supplier here in Rochester, NY and upgraded from load range "C" to "E". More capacity, less heat issues. In the future, I will not even take delivery of a unit with Carlisles on it. If you question FR quality control, you should tour the Flagstaff, Rockwell Super lite/signature ultralite plant. It is a great tour.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:28 AM   #20

B --

Had 1 tire with the tread separating at around 3000 miles ! Working with LionHead to have replaced. Will put on Maxxis Tires load range D before next trip.