Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2014, 03:34 PM   #1

Question About 2nd A/C on 8289ws

Our local Rockwood dealer told us that if you get the dual A/C's in the 8289ws, both the units will be 13.5k. From what I've read on the forums here, I thought we'd have the option of going with the 15k in the living room in addition to the 13.5k in the bedroom. Thanks in advance for the clarification!
The Crow 1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:57 PM   #2

Hmmmm.... First off, yes it is a option - we have the 15K in our living room and the 13.5K In the bedroom.

My guess is either: Your salesperson does not know what s/he is talking about (likely) or They are trying to sell you what's on the lot rather than what you want.

If you are going to drop the change for a 8289WS I recommend you get the Diamond Package - you will get just about everything you would want in a RV - make sure the dealer includes the Fireplace and Ceiling fan!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:02 PM   #3

X2. We have 15K in living room. Diamond package is great! Got fireplace, ceiling fan and thermo pane windows in addition to second a/c.

Tom - 2014 8289ws, 2011 Chevy 2500HD
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Hmmmm.... First off, yes it is a option - we have the 15K in our living room and the 13.5K In the bedroom.

My guess is either: Your salesperson does not know what s/he is talking about (likely) or They are trying to sell you what's on the lot rather than what you want.

If you are going to drop the change for a 8289WS I recommend you get the Diamond Package - you will get just about everything you would want in a RV - make sure the dealer includes the Fireplace and Ceiling fan!
We are ordering the unit exactly the way we want it. They didn't have one on the lot that we liked enough to buy on the spot. So, I'd have to lean toward the first option...lol. So, if the salesperson doesn't specifically order the living room a/c as 15k, we're going to get a 13.5k unit by default? I made a comment, as we were going through the unit, about wanting the main living area a/c to be 15k. He subsequently told me that if I order the 5th wheel with dual a/c's, both will be 13.5k units. Looks like I'll be calling the dealership in the morning and they'll be changing my order on their dime. I was willing to pay more for the higher output unit at the time, but I'm not feeling so generous right now.

Oh yeah. We went for the Diamond Package, ceiling fan, and fireplace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjsas View Post
X2. We have 15K in living room. Diamond package is great! Got fireplace, ceiling fan and thermo pane windows in addition to second a/c.

Tom - 2014 8289ws, 2011 Chevy 2500HD
We ordered the thermo pane windows too, even though the salesperson tried to talk me out of them. Oh, he also tried to talk me out of the slide toppers.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:33 PM   #5

Question About 2nd A/C on 8289ws

You know, I just don't get it anymore (and YES I am hoping for some quality time with The FR CEO @ Goshen -- F.R.O.G. Bob, are you listening?)

It seems to me that a fundamental change has to occur in the industry. The time of salespersons who barely know the product have to give way to those who are informed and know what they sell.

We were fortunate in that our RV dealer really pushes this in his sales force and has a quality, informed staff...but something as basic as this needs to come from corporate on down if FR really wants to be a successful sales entity in the next 20 years
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:40 PM   #6

Okay. If I do decide to go with the 15K A/C unit in the living room and the 13.5K unit in the bedroom, is this "overkill and is there are chance of the units freezing up because it's too cold."
Old 04-23-2014, 05:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crow 1994 View Post
Okay. If I do decide to go with the 15K A/C unit in the living room and the 13.5K unit in the bedroom, is this "overkill and is there are chance of the units freezing up because it's too cold."
So, I've not had an issue with them ever freezing up. I'm glad we have them. With the darker color of the Diamond edition and the sometimes near 100 degrees in Colorado we've needed both running. Also, nice to have the living room one run at night since the bedroom one can be a bit loud right above you. Don't let him talk you out of the toppers either. Wouldn't be without them. We also ordered a third Fantastic Vent Cover for the living room vent. Didn't add the fan, just the vent cover to help give another layer for our numerous hail storms!

We also ordered it without the side wardrobe next to the right side of the bed to give another nightstand instead. But the change order didn't make it somehow. We are living with that one even though the dealer said they could remove it.
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjsas View Post
So, I've not had an issue with them ever freezing up. I'm glad we have them. With the darker color of the Diamond edition and the sometimes near 100 degrees in Colorado we've needed both running. Also, nice to have the living room one run at night since the bedroom one can be a bit loud right above you. Don't let him talk you out of the toppers either. Wouldn't be without them. We also ordered a third Fantastic Vent Cover for the living room vent. Didn't add the fan, just the vent cover to help give another layer for our numerous hail storms!

We also ordered it without the side wardrobe next to the right side of the bed to give another nightstand instead. But the change order didn't make it somehow. We are living with that one even though the dealer said they could remove it.
That's what I figured with the darker color, too. We're not far from you. We live in Nebraska and the temperature often reaches the upper 90's here in the middle of the summer. Good point about running the A/C in the living room at night to avoid the noise in the bedroom. Never thought about that.

Okay. I've added the upgrade to the living room A/C to make it 15K BTU. It's only a $125 option, but I was hoping the dealership was going to throw it in since I'm the one who had to bring the issue up the the salesperson. Oh well. In the grand scheme of things, I'd rather be out the $125 and have the A/C unit I wanted.

Yeah. I'm not letting them talk me out of the slide toppers. I can promise you that. I ordered our unit with all the available vent fans and vent covers, too. This will be our first fifth wheel and I wanted to order it exactly the way we wanted it.

Thanks for the info!
Old 04-23-2014, 06:37 PM   #9

We got the 8289 with the 15K A/C unit in the living rm and the 13.5K in the bedroom. Need both camping in Texas in the summer
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote