Old 10-05-2019, 09:35 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to flaggonzo
Question about 8328SB & tow vehicle, just ordered

We just ordered a Rockwood 8328SB with the optional lazy boys on Friday. The DW really wanted the lazy boys. My concern is the space. Has anyone ordered the same trailer with the lazy boys? Is there enough room between the chairs or are they snugged tight right next to each other?

We did not order the auto leveling. When I did a search it seemed it was 50-50. My fear was something else to break and most of the places we have camped have been fairly level. I hope it's not an option I regret.

My other concern is how well my truck will tow it. I have the 2017 F250 6.2l gas engine. It pulled our 2707WS ok, but this trailer weighs over 2k more lbs and that's empty weight. With my other trailer, I was getting about 8mi/gal. With this heaver trailer, who knows 5-6mi/gal?

Any other tips or concerns from current owners would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 10-06-2019, 09:18 AM   #2

The lazy boys I believe will go where the theater seats go. They will fit but you won't have the room to swivel and face each other.
I hate to say it but I think you missed it on the auto level system. We can pull up to any site and we are able to have the TT setting level without the hastle of checking level bulbs etc. We got our last TT with level system, because it had it. The stabilizer jacks don't have the strength to hold weight of TT.
As far as TV I would go with a diesel. They have the pulling power you need. Sure a gasser will pull it, but it will seem like it is in a bind all the time towing. I made the mistake of buying a TT and saying my half ton would pull it. It did but would it pull it forever. Even back in the day I owned a 37 foot TT with no slides. Had a half ton and was told it would pull it no problem. Needless to say the rear end got so hot it burned the paint off the housing. After that the dealership wanted me to pay for the labor to change gear ratio. Now to present days we have a 36 foot bumper pull. Had a half ton and it pulled TT ok but as I mention it seemed like it was struggling. So spring forward I bought a 3/4 ton rear wheel drive, thinking that's all I would need, even after friends and family were trying to talk me into 4x4. Needless to say I learned the errors of my ways and now own a diesel 4x4.
Just my 2 cents.

Old 10-06-2019, 10:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimla View Post
The lazy boys I believe will go where the theater seats go. They will fit but you won't have the room to swivel and face each other.
I hate to say it but I think you missed it on the auto level system. We can pull up to any site and we are able to have the TT setting level without the hastle of checking level bulbs etc. We got our last TT with level system, because it had it. The stabilizer jacks don't have the strength to hold weight of TT.
As far as TV I would go with a diesel. They have the pulling power you need. Sure a gasser will pull it, but it will seem like it is in a bind all the time towing. I made the mistake of buying a TT and saying my half ton would pull it. It did but would it pull it forever. Even back in the day I owned a 37 foot TT with no slides. Had a half ton and was told it would pull it no problem. Needless to say the rear end got so hot it burned the paint off the housing. After that the dealership wanted me to pay for the labor to change gear ratio. Now to present days we have a 36 foot bumper pull. Had a half ton and it pulled TT ok but as I mention it seemed like it was struggling. So spring forward I bought a 3/4 ton rear wheel drive, thinking that's all I would need, even after friends and family were trying to talk me into 4x4. Needless to say I learned the errors of my ways and now own a diesel 4x4.
Just my 2 cents.
Thank you so much for your feedback! Since I don't know anything about the leveling system and how it works. I may ask the general audience about that. Since I ordered on Friday, I know I still have time if I add on on Monday. I had a feeling about the truck just knowing how it tows my current trailer. This year ford is coming out with a 7.3L gas engine with 430HP and 475 Torque. I know the diesel is much higher 900-1,000 torque. Do you think the new gas engine will suffice or as you suggested just go diesel? I only ask because I have never owned a diesel and it seems from what I read that it's a lot more expensive to maintain and fix when something breaks.
Old 10-06-2019, 11:37 AM   #4

Diesels are not the over built, simple burners they used to be. The purpose of my truck is to get my toys where I want to go reliably and research kept coming back to gas fitting that bill.

I pull a 9,500lbs, 12+ foot tall trailer, two kayaks on the truck, two bicycles in front the trailer (aerodynamic mess) and another 1000lbs in the truck with the anemic (compared to your truck) 6.0 gas motor. I have about 12k miles towing this set up, through the Appalachian mountains, ran through the Black hills earlier this year and would pull your trailer anywhere in North America with my truck. I've never seen the transmission temp above 185 and the motor temp has never moved.

If you want a new truck go for it but if your 6.2 with 4.30's is having trouble you may want to switch to Chevy.
Old 10-06-2019, 12:23 PM   #5

BigH, thanks for the reply. Yeah, not necessarily looking to buy a new truck. er. I am upgrading to a larger trailer and was just concerned. I felt like it would pull it but just did not know how well. I have only owned Tundras in the past. I felt that truck was great but limited in terms of cargo capacity. It was approx 1400lbs. The F250 is twice that. The Tundra was 382 HP and 401 torque. My F250 is 385 HP and 425 torque which is not that much better. I guess I'll find out in about 6-7 weeks when I go pick it up. If it pulls it well, I'll stay. If for some reason it's pulling like a dog, I may upgrade!

Haha, Love the Chevy plug! It's my first 250/2500 and I looked at them all so not necessarily a staunch proponent of either! I'll be open to all once again if I shop.

Thanks again for your feedback!
Old 10-06-2019, 02:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggonzo View Post
Haha, Love the Chevy plug! It's my first 250/2500 and I looked at them all so not necessarily a staunch proponent of either! I'll be open to all once again if I shop.

Thanks again for your feedback!
Glad you enjoyed the rib'n.

I'm not a brand guy either...my last truck was a Ford (I did have to lemon law that pile of aluminum dung though) and I've had Nissan, Ram, Dodge.
Test out your truck and let us know how it goes.
Old 10-06-2019, 04:32 PM   #7

Flaggonzo,
Not sure what your new unit weight is.
I pull a 5th wheel of another brand with a scaled loaded weight of 11,300 with a 2017 F-250 with the 6.2 with no problems Have been over the US through the Appalachian mountains, mountains of NM, Arizona, Utah and Colorado as well as flat lands through the midwest and southeast. Prior to the 5th wheel we pulled a tt with a loaded weight of 7k. I have experienced no mileage difference between the two units. Averaged 9.1 on a 7k trip out west this year and just returned from a trip to the NC coast today and averaged 9.6 on this trip.
TNVJONES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 04:43 PM   #8

Great! Thanks! Just the type of real use feedback I wanted. It should be ready for pick up in 6-8 weeks. I guess I will find out how it all goes then!. Ah! the excitement of the wait!
Old 10-06-2019, 06:47 PM   #9

Get the auto level and save your sanity and back.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:06 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

We pull our 11k 5th wheel with no problems with our F-250 Super Duty 6.2L gas.

I do not have the auto level, my brother does on his. I would get it if I had the opportunity to change the order. His works well. Ours does too but is more work when setting up.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=50
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Get the auto level and save your sanity and back.
X2 ..... Yep
Frank & Cindy *** Rockwood Ultra Lite *** 2019 Ram *** Remi & Sage traveling Pomskies *** TST 507 TPMS *** B&W Patriot 18K *** 3.92 axle *** Goodyear Endurance *** 32 days camped 2019 *** Predator 3500
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:26 PM   #12

Auto level is a nice option!

A big trailer! With a proper hitch it will be fine.

A diesel has many advantages when the time to change comes if you drive a lot.

A trailer this size can be difficult to gas up. Got to be cleaver about it.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:03 PM   #13

I love my auto level. It was on the 5ver when I bought it. Took some maybe two or three times on unlevel ground to figure out if I need blocks or if I should have put more or lessextension in front legs. Worked great every time since. As for you truck coming from a man on his third diesel. I believe you got all the truck you need. I never averaged up 10 mpg pulling my TT with the two I had with it. Never better than 9.3 pulling the 5er. Average 8.5 with Eco Boost and Tundra pulling The TT I was overloaded but not underpowered. 32í 10k and yes I pulled it with the Tundra thru the Rockies and Sierras twice no problem
moose074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:07 AM   #14
Grammar Pedant

That 6.2L will do just fine with that trailer. No need to upgrade your TV to diesel. People are pulling heavier loads than that with gassers. Enjoy the new trailer.

RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:32 AM   #15
CGK
Camping with Labs

We love the auto-level, which has proven to be far more useful than I initially anticipated. Not cheap, but worth every penny in my opinion. Good luck with the new rig!
CGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:15 PM   #16

To all of you who provided information on the auto leveling, thank you very much! I went ahead today and added it as an option. I hope I have as much success with it as some of you have had.

This is what makes this forum so awesome!

Thanks again!
Old 10-08-2019, 04:18 PM   #17

Congrats ... great choice
Frank & Cindy *** Rockwood Ultra Lite *** 2019 Ram *** Remi & Sage traveling Pomskies *** TST 507 TPMS *** B&W Patriot 18K *** 3.92 axle *** Goodyear Endurance *** 32 days camped 2019 *** Predator 3500
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:24 AM   #18

There is a learning curve to it.

We carry about 36Ē of leveling blocks.

Got be cautious about levelers length.

Manual mode.

We have had really wonky sites. All good.

However, the DW, the leveler. Has uttered some un lady like phrases. Not lately though.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:26 AM   #19

Good call on the auto level. Our 2017 8289WS fifth wheel came with it, (we bought off the lot) and we love it. Used it changing a flat to raise the rig making it much easier then using my bottle jack. The past number of years we were pulling our almost 11,000 pound rig with a 2009 F350 with the 6.4 powerstroke. This past summer I traded that in on a 2016 Ram with the 6.4 Hemi Gasoline. There is a difference in pulling but I have to say I am very impressed with the performance of the gas powered truck. Our trailer is over 13 feet tall so there is obviously some wind drag. We had a few engine fixes that needed done on the diesel with no warranty that really dug into our beverage funds plus the cost of diesel around here is around fifty cents higher then gasoline. We don't full time and only pull maybe eight to ten times a year so the gas tv was our choice.

badger5301 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow vehicle