Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2013, 10:34 AM   #1
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Question about slide toppers

Does FR put them on at the factory?

Wright
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #2

Yes if you order them. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #3

Yes, when specified on the customer's build order , or when specified for dealer-stock orders.

...VTX-Al
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Maybe, IF ordered----------

I thought I was getting slide toppers from the factory, but when I received my RV they were installed by the dealer. A cheaper topper!

Make sure you specify that the factory installs the toppers.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
I thought I was getting slide toppers from the factory, but when I received my RV they were installed by the dealer. A cheaper topper!

Make sure you specify that the factory installs the toppers.
I wasn't aware that the factory could do it when I ordered mine last May. I had the same experience as Daisy - the dealer put the cheapest thing they could find onto ours.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #6
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

My dealer just changed the sales agreement to factory-installed toppers. Apparently doing them in-house is a small cottage industry. Heads up!

Wright
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #7
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I wasn't aware that the factory could do it when I ordered mine last May. I had the same experience as Daisy - the dealer put the cheapest thing they could find onto ours.
When I ordered my trailer in December, the dealer and I completed a Forest River 2013 Windjammer Travel Trailer MSRP Order Form.

This order form listed factory options for the various Rockwood Windjammer models. The slide toppers were listed as 10-1798 small and 10-1798-1 large, which we selected among other options when placing my order.

The dealer said they could install any slide toppers if I wanted ones more expensive than those. The factory toppers appeared adequate to me. The item numbers and type of toppers may vary between other Forest River RVs.
+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:34 PM   #8

Ours were factory installed, a reasonable price, and seem of good quality.
And they installed them correctly. I have seen a post on how their toppers don't work right, and it was because they were installed by someone with no clue. Probably the dealer.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #9

We we're told by the Crusader rep at the Indy show that this wasn't a factory option on the Crusader.

Mark & Pam
03 Ram 2500 Laramie QC SB 5.9HO
2014 Crusader 295 RST TE Champagne
MPKenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #10

My 8312ss has them standard from factory.
trainwreck68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:29 PM   #11

Our 8311ss also had them factory installed
Tjburke7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:18 AM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
The Factory installed--------

The factory installed slide toppers have a "STOP LOCK" on each end, where the dealer cheaper toppers do not have.

The stop locks can be seen as a little arm at each end of the topper so when you run the room out the topper is in a locked position for when it rains and water collects on the topper, the topper will not unroll more with the weight of the water. When the room is run back in, the little arm comes to a rest that installed on the side of your RV therefore unlocking for the next room roll out! The topper functions like a manual awning that you have to trip the little lock with the metal rod to lock and unlock the awning.

My topper awnings do not have the locks. When it rains heavy, I have to run the room in slightly to dump the water that collects on top of the topper.

So when you order your RV make sure you insist that the topper awnings are factory installed or you will not accept the RV.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:23 AM   #13
Denver, CO

What models/ mfg have the lock? It sounds important.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
The factory installed slide toppers have a "STOP LOCK" on each end, where the dealer cheaper toppers do not have.

The stop locks can be seen as a little arm at each end of the topper so when you run the room out the topper is in a locked position for when it rains and water collects on the topper, the topper will not unroll more with the weight of the water. When the room is run back in, the little arm comes to a rest that installed on the side of your RV therefore unlocking for the next room roll out! The topper functions like a manual awning that you have to trip the little lock with the metal rod to lock and unlock the awning.

My topper awnings do not have the locks. When it rains heavy, I have to run the room in slightly to dump the water that collects on top of the topper.

So when you order your RV make sure you insist that the topper awnings are factory installed or you will not accept the RV.
Those 'little arms' are there to stop the awning from unrolling while going down the road. With your slide in, if you go up on a ladder and try to unroll the awning, you will see that the arm catches on a tab mounted to the camper wall. Without that, the wind from travelling at 60 mph would get under the material, unroll the awning, and rip it right off the camper.
Slide awnings do not have locks like the regular big manual awnings, and they will sag under the weight of rainwater. That is one of their biggest drawbacks, as they are not tight enough to shed rainwater.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote