Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2010, 09:11 AM   #1

Question about the slide on the rockwood 26004

I have a question concerning the "automatic slide" on my 2010 Rockwood 2604 trailer. The question is if the automiatic slide ever quits working how can I "manually retract" the slide? Also where is the motor located for the slide? Thanks for your help...
bwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:29 AM   #2

There should be a manual crank stub on the motor which is usually just under the slide out. It will look like a small "T" sticking out of the motor housing. You should have a jack handle that came with the unit that you connect to it and can crank it in or out manually...although it takes some time and a bit of shoulder burn...let me know if you can't find it and I can post pics of it to make it easier.
Huntdvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:56 AM   #3

Pictures would be nice....Is the manual crank stub located underneath the trailer? If so, how do I find it, as the bottom of the trailer is enclosed. You can tell I am new at this...Thanks for your help.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwinters View Post
Pictures would be nice....Is the manual crank stub located underneath the trailer? If so, how do I find it, as the bottom of the trailer is enclosed. You can tell I am new at this...Thanks for your help.
If you determine the manufacturer of your slide mechanism (our is Lippert) you can usually go to their web site and find a manual for them. Lippert's manuals have good pictures with instructions for manually retracting the slides.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:37 AM   #5

Where would I look on the trailer to see the manufacturer's brand? Like I said before the "underside of the trailer is enclosed".... Thanks again for your help.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:03 AM   #6

My slide out is electric and this is what the hand crank looks like, the last pic shows where the electric motor the open end slips over the spring clip and then you begain to crank. The motor is located under the slide out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2729.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	2278   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2730.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	2279   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2731.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	2280  
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:11 PM   #7

Found my wrench and looked under the trailer and found where the motor for the slide is located, they have made a covered place under the trailer that you have to unscrew and fold it down to get to the motor. Anyway I found it with your help and I sure thank you for assisting me.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:25 PM   #8

Rockwood06 you have a sheared bolt in your slide. Did you know that?
Old 03-16-2010, 04:30 AM   #9

Know I didn't....WOW....Thanks for being observant. Saturday I moved my camper back to open the slide out so we could get it ready for camping by the end of the month and did not have a chance to check the camper out because it has been raining for the last 3 days. Where do you live? you have earned a steak dinner for this.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:03 AM   #10

Sheared Bolt is never good. How old is this camper and does this happen often?
Old 03-16-2010, 10:23 AM   #11

I'm going to guess they are talking about the broken bolt on the left side of the motor. The bolt holding the square tubing on. In the picture it looks like the head of the bolt is lower that it should be. A sheared bolt just means that the strain put on the bolt has caused it to break. Hope this is right and helps you.
2005 Brute Force 750
And most importantly, a loving wife, 2 year old son and a NEW BABY GIRL NOV.30 (I do it all for them!)
rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:14 PM   #12

Bwinters - the sheared bolt is on the Rockwood06 unit.

Rockwood06 - I had multiple sheared bolts on my unit over the past two years. If you don't fix it, the slide will rack and jam, then break teeth on the pinion...I learned the hard way - 4 trips to the dealer in a year. I then spent $600 to get it fixed somewhere else and battled with Rockwood to get it covered under warranty.

I tried B8 grade, aircraft bolts and many others. One that works best is straight stainless steel bolts from Home Depot and make sure that they have no play in them at all. Check them all as it is a common problem according to the Camperland service department near me that finally got the thing right. Good luck!
Old 03-16-2010, 06:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwinters View Post
Sheared Bolt is never good. How old is this camper and does this happen often?
The camper is a 2006 and I bought it new and this is the first time this has happen. Just last year before the season started I had it in the shop to have the slide out align. The slide out shifted more to the rear of the camper then it dropped down on one side, I found this during my Spring time inspection and how I notice this was that I was looking under the slide out just for GP and noticed that there was a score mark on the out side bottom of the slide out on one side. Last year the slide out was open and closed 4 times during the entire Summer.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntdvd View Post
Bwinters - the sheared bolt is on the Rockwood06 unit.

Rockwood06 - I had multiple sheared bolts on my unit over the past two years. If you don't fix it, the slide will rack and jam, then break teeth on the pinion...I learned the hard way - 4 trips to the dealer in a year. I then spent $600 to get it fixed somewhere else and battled with Rockwood to get it covered under warranty.

I tried B8 grade, aircraft bolts and many others. One that works best is straight stainless steel bolts from Home Depot and make sure that they have no play in them at all. Check them all as it is a common problem according to the Camperland service department near me that finally got the thing right. Good luck!
Thanks for your input, this problem will be taken care of tomorrow when I get home from work and thanks to Chevy02 for picking up on this. What a great group we have here.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:18 PM   #15

Rockwood06 - slide out dropping down on one side is the exact issue I had when I started having problems. If you only cycled it 4 times, likely you have not seen enough for the problems I mentioned...I was up to 20-30 cycles. Inspect your pinions closely for any teeth scoring or cracking. After you change the bolts, cycle it 8-10 times at least. The camperland tech mentioned that the rack was not fully square when it was mounted at the factory...off by about 3 or four degrees which causes uneven loading on the pinion teeth and stresses the shaft connection to the motor.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:37 PM   #16

As mention before I am going to get a stainless steel bolt and check out the alignement this will give me a better Idea. Thanks for your help and suggestions..... Just one more thing to add to the list.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:09 PM   #17

Rockwood06 The only reason i noticed it was cause i have changed mine several time and this is what i look for when checking the bolts thats what it looks like i finally put in hardened bolts so far so good.You owe me nothing just glad i could be of assistant

Tags
rockwood