Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2011, 10:33 PM   #1

Question for the electrical experts

On our new Signature UL 8285WS, I'm haveing a problem keeping the GFI circuit breaker than covers the kitchen/ living area from popping. Anything other than just the lightest loads will pop it. It's a 15 amp breaker in a WYCO converter. Can these circuit breakers be replaced?
Old 12-27-2011, 10:41 PM   #2

Yes, It is simply a sealed back GFCI. But before you spend money on a new one, be sure that you do not have a second GFCI connected somewhere.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:56 PM   #3

Let me clarify something. It is the circuit breaker in the main panel, ie converter, that is popping, not the GFCI. And I do have a second GFCI in the bathroom, but it is on a different feed from the panel.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:02 PM   #4

Never seen a GFCI anywhere except for the kitchen/bathroom. And they are always the inline type on one outlet. Are you positive it is a GFCI? If there is one on your main breaker box I don't know what to tell you except you have a dead short somewhere.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:23 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by alageezer View Post
Let me clarify something. It is the circuit breaker in the main panel, ie converter, that is popping, not the GFCI. And I do have a second GFCI in the bathroom, but it is on a different feed from the panel.
OK, just so I am clear. You are popping the circuit breaker in the main panel; NOT the GFCI button in the outlet.

Assuming I am correct, and your camper is wired like mine, that circuit ALSO powers:

The DC Converter part of the WFCO distribution panel (dumb, I know) and ALL the 120 VAC outlets aft on the bathroom

This includes the one on the side of the kitchen range, the two low ones on the entertainment center, the entertainment center, and the external AC outlet under the fridge.

That is a whole LOT for a 15 amp circuit especially if you have a low battery and are trying to charge it. A low battery can eat up 5 amps of the 15 available. Won't take much plugged in to eat up the rest and trip the breaker (like a space heater).
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:20 AM   #6

I don't know about the battery charger, but the batteries are not low. The circuit in question runs the frig, two plugs in the kitchen, and two plugs next to the recliners. The entertainment center runs off the bathroom circuit.

The problem seems to come from trying to run a space heater, and the coffee maker kicks on. Tonight, I'll plug the heater into the bathroom circuit and see what happens.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:30 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by alageezer View Post
I don't know about the battery charger, but the batteries are not low. The circuit in question runs the frig, two plugs in the kitchen, and two plugs next to the recliners. The entertainment center runs off the bathroom circuit.

The problem seems to come from trying to run a space heater, and the coffee maker kicks on. Tonight, I'll plug the heater into the bathroom circuit and see what happens.

Thanks for the responses.
Wow, no wonder. That circuit breaker is doing it's job. Either the heater or the coffee maker need to be on another circuit. A 1500 space heater will pull 12.5 amps all by itself. That give you only 2.5 amps for the fridge on electric, which is doable. But throw in the heating element on the coffee pot, and that is a lot of draw.

Either the heater or the coffee maker need to be on another circuit.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote