Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2010, 06:53 PM   #1

Questions

We have an 2010 8280SS 5th wheel. It has 2 x 30 lb propane bottles. Can anyone tell me how long the propane will last over a season, if you use the propane for both the frig and cooking? (But not the Bar-b-q)

Another question, we have the dinette in the trailer. The seat cushions are continually sliding forward on the bench. We have put an anti-skid matt on top of the plywood to stop the sliding to no avail. Does anyone have an idea on how to prevent the seat cushion from sliding?

I was on the roof the other day and the antenna for the radio is horizontal along the roof. Is it supposed to be standing up (vertical) for not?

The labels on the side of the trailer refer to a "Waste water dump" and a "Sewer dump". In all the info on the trailers, the reference is either black or gray water. So which is the black in this case. My trailer has 2 gray water tanks because of the rear kitchen. The galley gray tank is in the rear with its own dump, and the shower and sink in the bedroom is on a 2nd dump next to the black tank, but I haven't been able to determine which is which.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Camping 2012: 40 nights
wakamicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:17 PM   #2

Use velcro on the seats,

The stero antenna should be vertical

Waste water dump = gray water
Sewer dump = black water
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:00 PM   #3

To confirm which tank various water comes out of, do the following procedure:

1. Make sure both of your waste tanks are empty and clean to start with.
2. Close both of them.
3. To check the shower, pour a gallon or two of water down the drain. Or run the shower. You only need a small amount to test it.
4. Open up the tank marked waste water. The water from the shower should come out of it. If not, open the tank marked sewer water. If it comes out of that one, then you will be dumping that sewer tank quite often. On some models, the shower is plumbed into the black tank. Not sure why, but they are.

5. Repeat the steps for the bathroom sink, just to see if it is plumbed to the gray tank or the black tank.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:32 PM   #4

Hokiehall your answer in figuring out what valve is which is to easy and logical.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:46 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamicamper View Post
I was on the roof the other day and the antenna for the radio is horizontal along the roof. Is it supposed to be standing up (vertical) for not?

The antenna is the same on our 8280WS. I believe that they angle it back as it's on the highest part of the roof for clearance.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:11 AM   #6
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
Use velcro on the seats,

The stero antenna should be vertical

Waste water dump = gray water
Sewer dump = black water

Ditto

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:21 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Mine always starts out a trip vertical, but the first tree branches/leaves I hit on the way out knocks it flat again.

So,... I leave it down until I get where I am going.

Since I powered up the XM radio I don't use over the air much anymore and it is a moot issue now.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:38 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Is this what you're referring to?

Click image for larger version

Name:	roof ant.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	2817

There is a locking screw to adjust the angle...depends how many overpasses you want to hit with it.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:24 PM   #9

Yeah, that's what my antenna looks like. Highest point on the trailer is 13 feet and this is higher still? I must have hit a low branch or something.

Any info on the usage of 2 x 30 lb propane bottles. I will be dry camping for 20 days in August and the closest propane refill centre is 50 miles one way. My wife is worried that we will run out. I carry a spare 20 lb bottle for a bar-b-q that we would use if the others run out.

Thanks for the responses.

Camping 2012: 40 nights
wakamicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:46 PM   #10

With the exception of multi element beam type of antennas usually used for amateur radio or the old style TV antennas you used to see above every house, all antennas are designed to be used in a vertical manner. They will still receive in a horizontal fashion but not as well. Depending on your RV and your situation you might not be able to have the antenna totally vertical. Ours for instance would get wiped out when entering/exiting our garage if it was vertical. For the time being I don't even have it attached. The antenna should be as close to vertical as possible for best reception.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:14 PM   #11
Cardinal 04 31LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamicamper View Post
Yeah, that's what my antenna looks like. Highest point on the trailer is 13 feet and this is higher still? I must have hit a low branch or something.

Any info on the usage of 2 x 30 lb propane bottles. I will be dry camping for 20 days in August and the closest propane refill centre is 50 miles one way. My wife is worried that we will run out. I carry a spare 20 lb bottle for a bar-b-q that we would use if the others run out.

Thanks for the responses.
I dont dry camp, but I do have 2-30# propane tanks that I fill once a year. I camp about 30 days a year maybe more. Use propane for heat, occassional refridgerator operations, and hot water and some occassional cooking inside. I have not run out yet. In fact I just filled them today one was empty the second was 50%.

I do suggest that you work off one tank at a time, therefore if you run out of the first tank in less than 10 days you will know to reduce consumption. I dont rely on the valve in the camper, I shut the tank off that I don't want to use.

Good Luck
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:03 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post

I do suggest that you work off one tank at a time, therefore if you run out of the first tank in less than 10 days you will know to reduce consumption. I dont rely on the valve in the camper, I shut the tank off that I don't want to use.

Good Luck
Good advice. While camping in June, I noticed the changeover valve was showing red for the RH tank, so I switched over to the LH tank. When I got home I took the tanks off the tongue & got them refilled. I could hear sloshing in the RH tank & the LH tank seemed noticebly heavier.

When I got them filled @ a local truck stop (there's always a person or 2 getting tanks filled), the attendant asked why I was getting them filled as they didn't really take much propane to fill. I said, I wasn't sure about how full they were before I left for camping (trailer had sat on lot for a year & I had been trying out the various systems) & didn't know how much was left.

When I got home, both 20 pound bottles weighed 36 pounds on a digital scale. I guess I'll just have to weigh them to make sure.

About the changeover valve. Is the red indication quite distinct or is it faint? I may have seen a red reflection thru the glass & thought it was red & ready to change. Instructions for the valve are a poor translation from Chinese to English.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:34 AM   #13

The fridge is pretty efficient- minimal gas usage there. However, the water heater- depending on how thrifty you can be on hot showers and dishes. Also, if you happen to need gas heat for those cool nights, that is a big energy hog, on your battery and your gas. Good luck, Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood