Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2012, 10:48 PM   #1

Questions about 8281ws

We just got back from a two week trip in our new 2012 signature ultralite 8281ws 5th wheel. I'll post a review later but had a few questions. When running the heater ( we were in the mountains ), I noted that there was hardly any air coming out of the vent in the master bedroom. I looked in the underneath storage and noted a fairly small conduit pipe going to that vent. It may be just a matter of physics and a poor design but I wanted to hear what others said before having it looked at. Also, when the water pump was on, it would intermittently run a short burst even when no one was running a faucet or toilet. I checked all connections I could get to, the outside water heater pressure relief valve and drain, the outside hot and cold drains, the water pump itself... no leaks. Thirdly, the floor seems very weak around the floor vent in the kitchen area. Lots of squeaking. Thanks for your help.
farmbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:52 AM   #2

Looks like Rockwood has not changed. We have a 2008 8285ss and we have had these problems and still do.
Roger&Emily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #3

I have the same problem with my 2011 8285WS, for the water pump, and now my edge seal under the kingpin is starting to crack, seals aren't covered under my 5 year extended warrenty, go figure. I do have good airflow for Heat and Air, I think the pump is a leak inside the pump, mine will cycle or re pressurrize every 30 minutes it only pops on for a few seconds, and I can't tell it's doing it when the Air is on. I searched and opened up all of the areas looking for water leak and never found one., Try to Isolate the pump, to see if it still cycles. that elimates all the plumbing in the RV. Good luck

2018 Forester 3011DS
2011 Rockwood 8285WS (The Mobile Cabin) traded
2004 F350 SuperCab 6.0TD DRW (Mr. Duals) sold
kijak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #4

We have a 2011 8528 CKSS, and agree that the airflow into the bedroom is a bit weak. But as warm air rises, the bedroom is usually the warmest part of the camper anyway! Do you have one of those corregated tinfoil ducts feeding it? They have lots of air resistance, and will slow the airflow a lot.

The water pump is probably just leaking back and losing pressure. Our last camper did the same thing. But do check for leaks EVERYWHERE, as a hidden leak would make a real mess of the floor structure.

And yes, the floors in these lightweights are very weak. They only have a very thin layer of cheap "plywood" over the styrofoam core. I try to avoid walking on or around the floor vents, as that is where they will flex, and begin to delaminate the "plywood" from the styrofoam. We also do not wear shoes in the camper for the same reason. Once the floor begins to weaken, it only gets worse.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote