Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2017, 08:02 PM   #1

Questions on new 2017 Ultra Lite 2304DS

We finally picked up our new trailer this week and we are in the process of getting it outfitted for some trips this summer. While we had a pretty thorough walk through at the dealer, it was several months ago. So, I have some questions that I hope will be answered here. I'll post my first few questions now and I'm sure more will come up:

1. How do you turn on the lights over the bed? I know they have push-buttons on the bottom of the light and I saw the dealer demonstrate them. But, now that the trailer is home, we can't figure out how to turn them on. Is there a switch somewhere? They don't come on with the Interior light switch at the control center.

2. When putting the two slide-outs out, should one be done before the other?

3. What torque should the lug nuts be set to?

That's round one!
Bmtndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:22 PM   #2

Look under your wardrobe cabinet for a switch, that should control your lights above your bed.

2019 Ford F-250 Super Cab 6.2L Lariat
2016 ML23FB (Sold March 2024)
2024 ML25SRK
MT Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:47 AM   #3

Here's info on lug nut torque:

https://www.etrailer.com/question-75604.html

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:42 PM   #4

My dealer told me the torque for the wheel lugs is 100 pound-feet. I am fairly certain that either slide can be moved in or out first -- I have done it both ways with mine without any issues --just be sure that you have clearance space for each one before you pres the switch! Bed light switch is on the wall under the bedside cabinet on the door side.

My 2304DS is a 2018 model that came off the line 2/28 that I picked up on 3/15 in Shipshewana IN. First real trip is next week.

2018 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2304DS, 10K Equal-i-zer Hitch
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4WD 5.7L iForce V8
FROG Member since March 2017
McRabbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 05:11 PM   #5

If you have the Murphy bed like I do, the light switch is under the right side Formica shelf next to the bed on the vertical wooden frame. Any order for the slide outs and I read 100 ft/lbs for the lug nuts.
rebeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:01 PM   #6
New TT Owner

Be sure to remove the slide bars if used before putting out the slide. Someone (don't know who) forgot when they returned from their very first trailer camping experience. Luckily it popped up and I saw it and stopped the slide. That was an oh s$&t! moment. Now there is a little sticker underneath the slide button that says "slide bar?"
Lovestogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:03 PM   #7

McRabbit did a very good job on all tree of your questions. We have had our 2304DS for a year now. The best advice I can give (beyond the previous answers) is to ALWAYS fold the handrail for the stairs into the door when you get ready to travel. The tendency would be to fold it out toward the kitchen slide so you can get in and out of the trailer easily before you travel or when you get ready to set up. But if you do that then you may forget it and open the kitchen slide with the handrail folded onto it. You will lose the handrail when and if you do this. The slide will try and pull it off the wall of the trailer.

the 2304DS is a great little trailer. Good luck - have fun - and if your refrigerator acts up please let us know. Trying to trouble shot our problems before warranty ends. Rick
Old 04-11-2017, 09:12 PM   #8

We purchased our 2304DS in February. We have been out twice. We are scheduled to head out the last weekend in April. The 2304DS is our first RV. That switch for the lights over the bed was hard to find. Our 13 year old son pointed it out to us. I was ready to call the dealer to find it. LOL We live in Texas so camping is a yearlong endeavor. I want to go out all the time. Hope you have fun in your 2304DS.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:15 PM   #9

2304DS areas of concern?

Our 2018 2304DS is still "2 to 3 weeks away". It seems like we've been hearing that for two months now. There seems to be a lack of communication between the factory and the west coast dealers...or is it just my dealer?

We did our research of course but are there other potential problem areas specific to the 2304DS or just Rockwood in general that we should be aware of? I'm sure we'll have a few questions when ours arrives as well but I'd prefer to be prepared before PDI.
StaceyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyR View Post
Our 2018 2304DS is still "2 to 3 weeks away". It seems like we've been hearing that for two months now. There seems to be a lack of communication between the factory and the west coast dealers...or is it just my dealer?

We did our research of course but are there other potential problem areas specific to the 2304DS or just Rockwood in general that we should be aware of? I'm sure we'll have a few questions when ours arrives as well but I'd prefer to be prepared before PDI.
We have only had our for 1 year but having used it a lot it feels like they designed it well and everything is where it needs to be. Our refrigerator is acting up (from the forum this seems to be a common issue) and the way they provided access for the water heater to winterize is pretty stupid. But all in all they did a good job with our model.

You can easily access the refrigerator and the bathroom when you stop (at rest stops) without opening any slides. That was a big thing for us and something we found as an issue for other models. The grill is marginal and we immediately bought a Weber Q1200 (great decision).

You will really enjoy your new machine. Get it out often after it arrives so you can find out if anything needs to be looked at from a warranty perspective. Good Luck - Rick
Old 04-13-2017, 05:05 PM   #11

Thanks mckittrick5791 - I had not thought or heard of the entry handrail vs kitchen slide issue. Coupled with the location of the slide controls far inside and away from the door I can see how this is a disaster waiting to happen. A "reminder" sticker on the switch will be one of our first actions.

The remote location of the control panel is one of the few gripes we had about the 2304DS design. The kitchen slide is to blame but maybe a wireless solution will come along. Another gripe is being unable to lower the murphy bed with the dinette slide in. Also we would've preferred an outdoor stove option instead of the grill since we already own (and love) a Weber Q. Issues like refrigerator problems or substandard water tank supports are good to know about going in. Overall, the positives far outweigh the negatives here.

Thanks all!
Old 04-14-2017, 08:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Thanks mckittrick5791 - I had not thought or heard of the entry handrail vs kitchen slide issue. Coupled with the location of the slide controls far inside and away from the door I can see how this is a disaster waiting to happen. A "reminder" sticker on the switch will be one of our first actions.

The remote location of the control panel is one of the few gripes we had about the 2304DS design. The kitchen slide is to blame but maybe a wireless solution will come along. Another gripe is being unable to lower the murphy bed with the dinette slide in. Also we would've preferred an outdoor stove option instead of the grill since we already own (and love) a Weber Q. Issues like refrigerator problems or substandard water tank supports are good to know about going in. Overall, the positives far outweigh the negatives here.

Thanks all!
StaceyR,

The murphy bed lowering with the dinette slide closed bothers us also. If the trailer was 6 to 9 inches longer that issue could be prevented.

The water heater access is simple - they installed hinges with screws on both sides of the WH access door. We will be taking them off the left side of the door and installing a better latch system. That will also allow us to open the door on colder camping days to get some of the heat within the trailer up under the kitchen sink and around the WH and water pump.

Let's go camping!
Old 05-14-2017, 08:59 AM   #13

Shake down cruise

Just finished 10 days on the road. Nine nights, 1500 or so miles, 5 campgrounds. So, lots of experience setting up, tearing down, various road surfaces, mountain passes, winds, etc.

Bottom broke out of a drawer in the kitchen. I fixed it, but had a heck of a time getting the drawer re-installed. It still isn't right, but is working okay for now.

We need to work on "making the bed". Maybe just pull the mattress out into the room, make the bed and shove it back? The Murphy bed clamps come undone on rough roads, but it doesn't go anywhere because of the sofa. I'm not sure about whether the awning is going to last. It looks like it rubs against the sharp corner of the kitchen slide-out when extended and with even a breeze might rub a hole. One blind is crooked so I need to figure out how to even it up.

But, no major problems and we really got the choreography of arrivals and departures worked out.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:34 AM   #14

You need to buy one of these for your door to protect the awning. Simple to install and will protect against damage. Includes a small roller for the screen door too.

2018 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2304DS, 10K Equal-i-zer Hitch
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4WD 5.7L iForce V8
FROG Member since March 2017
McRabbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:39 AM   #15

Bmtndog - Sounds like a great test run. Any other observations or tips to share? We are finally picking our new 2304DS on Wednesday so problems or defects to looks for (poor drawer construction) would be very helpful.

Its really a shame we can't travel with the bed down. That would be better in many ways.

mckittrick5791 - Just curious...what kind of mileage do you get towing with the Ram EcoDiesel 1/2 ton? My Ford EcoBoost sucks gas (9-10 mpg) towing as the turbos are in use more frequently. My only major disappointment with the Ford, otherwise a big improvement over my old Ram Hemi 5.7L.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovestogo View Post
Be sure to remove the slide bars if used before putting out the slide. Someone (don't know who) forgot when they returned from their very first trailer camping experience. Luckily it popped up and I saw it and stopped the slide. That was an oh s$&t! moment. Now there is a little sticker underneath the slide button that says "slide bar?"
What are "slide bars"? Is this an add-on item?
Old 05-14-2017, 10:05 AM   #17

Slide bars are put inside the trailer once the slide-outs are all the way in. They are a 3rd party item. I don't use them, but some do to further secure the slide-outs when traveling.

The drawer problem was that we had some heavier items in the bottom large drawer in the kitchen slide-out. That bottom is only secured by grooves on the sides and then some tacks along the back to attach it to the back of the drawer. Those tacks gave way, the drawer sagged, and then got stuck. I removed the drawer (and the one above) and used some small nails to reattach the bottom to the back of the drawer. Then, I also cut some 1/4-round to 21" and used Gorilla glue to glue it along the back-bottom of the drawer to provide extra support.

Like I said, everything else seemed to work okay. Not sure I have any other tips for you.

BTW, I got about 10 mpg average over about 1500 miles with our Ford Expedition 3.4L Eco-boost. Was hoping for 12 or better. So, the gas mileage is a bit disappointing, the truck did a great job of towing, even on steep passes. The towhaul setting is great for descents.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:48 AM   #18

Quote:
Bmtndog - Sounds like a great test run. Any other observations or tips to share? We are finally picking our new 2304DS on Wednesday so problems or defects to looks for (poor drawer construction) would be very helpful.

Its really a shame we can't travel with the bed down. That would be better in many ways.

mckittrick5791 - Just curious...what kind of mileage do you get towing with the Ram EcoDiesel 1/2 ton? My Ford EcoBoost sucks gas (9-10 mpg) towing as the turbos are in use more frequently. My only major disappointment with the Ford, otherwise a big improvement over my old Ram Hemi 5.7L.
StaceyR - I would normally say I get about 16mpg but I just took a 1600 mile trip from CO to MO and we fought head winds out and then back. With heavy winds and 65 mpg we only got 12 mpg. If I could have slowed down and hid from the winds I think it would be back around 15 to 16 for that trip.

Tags
2304, lite