Old 07-01-2019, 09:00 PM   #1

Real world loaded hitch weights of Geopro 19FD

My girlfriend and want to move up from our Rockwood A122 A-frame popup trailer to a Geopro. I have seen a lot of discussion about hitch weights, tow weights, GVWR, etc. I understand the importance of the cargo capacity of trailer and tow vehicle, axle ratings, and the 10% to 15% rule concerning the load on the hitch in relation to the loaded weight of the trailer, etc.

I have read many posts of folks who have ended up with hitch weights over 600 to 700 lbs.

We have learned to pack light give the limited size and storage of the A122 popup, and donít expect to add a ton of extra stuff.

What I am hoping to find out is has anyone been able to load a Geopro/E-Pro 19FD and keep the hitch weight at or below 500lbs (The limit of my tow vehicle. Max towing weight 5000 lbs.) and, if possible, how the trailer was loaded?

Has anyone towed the trailer with the Murphy bed down to take some of the load off of the hitch?

Thank you all in advance for any advice you may have and for taking the time to answer.

Michael

mkfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:13 PM   #2
Sham183

Have you bought the 19FD yet? If not maybe invest some time and make a make shift tongue weight scale (very easy to do) you tube and google are your friends. Go to the dealer and ask if you can weigh the tongue. The dealer may even have a scale there for you to use. See what the weight of it is on the lot and see where you are at. The weight of the unit according to the brochure is 390#. You will be surprised how fast things add up and how off the brochure may be. Also if you are using a WDH that adds to your tongue weight as well so you will be close. Good luck.

mopwr4me2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:21 PM   #3

Thanks for the advice. We have not purchased it yet. We will see if the dealer has a scale.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:37 PM   #4

Even if you weigh it, it will be empty. Anything you add will add to the TW, and you won't really know how much; so you're still guessing.

Until it can be weighed loaded, conservatively, I'd figure 13% of the GVWR on the sticker on the left front of the TT.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 07:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Even if you weigh it, it will be empty. Anything you add will add to the TW, and you won't really know how much; so you're still guessing.

Until it can be weighed loaded, conservatively, I'd figure 13% of the GVWR on the sticker on the left front of the TT.
Thank you for taking the time to respond to post. My response to mopwr4me2003 was somewhat misleading, even to me in retrospect. It sounded like I was ignoring my original post.

I would still like to know if any members who have a Geopro/E-Pro 19FD have been able to keep their loaded trailer’s hitch weight at or below 500 pounds, and if anyone has towed the trailer with the Murphy bed in the down position to lessen the hitch weight.

Thank you again for your time.

Michael.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfitz View Post
Thank you for taking the time to respond to post. My response to mopwr4me2003 was somewhat misleading, even to me in retrospect. It sounded like I was ignoring my original post.

I would still like to know if any members who have a Geopro/E-Pro 19FD have been able to keep their loaded trailerís hitch weight at or below 500 pounds, and if anyone has towed the trailer with the Murphy bed in the down position to lessen the hitch weight.

Thank you again for your time.

Michael.
Michael I have a 19FD, and with the two propane tanks full, two 12v batteries (I added one) and the bike rack off. I'm at #560 NOT including the hitch (I have an Anderson WDH at #60). I have a bit of plastic in the two forward hatches (wheel chocks, hoses, etc.) and only the grill under the couch. Having the bed down isn't going to help as it's still in front of the axle. I don't really see how you might bring it in below #500... motorcycle on the back!!!

2019 Geo Pro 19FD
2019 Toyota Tundra
2018 Male Newfoundland
"No such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing..."
Scottnweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 03:58 PM   #7

Scottnweeze,

Putting the bed down will move some of the weight away from the hitch. As a simple example, put a 50 pound weight on the hitch and you will add 50 pounds to the hitch. Move that weight to a point half way between the hitch and axle then you only add 25lbs to the hitch. Split the difference between that half way point and the axle and now that 50 pound weight only adds 12.5 pounds to the hitch.

The bed is a more complicated calculation because its weight will be spread across about 6 feet, but it will take some of it's weight off of the hitch.
Old 08-11-2019, 04:13 PM   #8

Smile Hope this helps

I hope this helps. I am towing a 2018 19FD early year model and my TV is a 2017 Highlander LE. The specification tongue weight dry is 395 with a trailer dry weight of 3064.
My tongue weight including 1 battery and 2 gas tanks is 470. With the bed up (I like your idea of putting the bed down) and the trailer completely loaded for a trip, our tongue weight is actually 440lbs (30 lbs less). Remember with a single axle trailer, any weight added behind the axle subtracts from the tongue weight. The further back, the more it reduces the weight. Using a calculation for a ďleverĒ will estimate how much.
Donít forget to add weight for your hitch head and WD springs (mine comes to 490 lbs). Also your tongue weight gets added to you TV cargo weight.
Last week after leaving for a trip (fully loaded including gasoline and 7 gallons of water in the fresh water tank) we stopped at a CAT scale. Here are our numbers.
With the trailer hitched to the car:
Front axle 2560 lbs
Rear axle 3020 lbs
Trailer axle 3320 lbs.
I have an Excel spreadsheet which calculates all my weights. While not by a lot, it shows that all my parameters are within specifications.
Good luck with your decision, we are happy with ours.

flag19fd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, weight